Veeky Forums btfo

nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0
> guy loses 239 pounds
> metabolism slows down to a halt
> it's just calories in, calories out, r-right guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

theonion.com/article/new-study-finds-it-is-impossible-to-lose-weight-no-32770
nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199212313272701
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>it takes less calories to maintain a regular human sized body than a 400 lb body of lard
Who would have thought?

>a halt
That's where you're wrong. Atp energy efficiency is just lower, meaning lower tdee, nothing new here retard.

S T I C K Y
T
I
C
K
Y

his actual TDEE at a normal weight is less than the calculators would suggest. severely so.

Atleast pretend to read the article

No shit. Losing weight means nothing if you're still sedentary.

>drop to under 200lbs for once in your life
>surprised when you cant eat 3000+kcals a day and maintain

Fatties, I swear m8

still can such a difference in TDEE account for such huge weight gains? seems like people slipping back into their old habits

>metabolism slows down to a halt
So he can survive on a pure sun energy now?

Calories in, calories out is just the basic theory.
However there is much more than that.
You have hormones that control your loss.
That's why intermediate fasting and something like HIIT training exist.
I found out, that if I even eat the exact same food, I lose more fat if I do an intermediate fasting and go lifting with an empty stomach.

Also, humans are not always exactly the same. Some have a more efficient calorie usage, that means they need less calories in order to function properly. Just like genetics determine you maximal muscle level, genetics determine a lot of other stuff.

The thing is you need to try out and find out what works best on your own.

FIGURATIVELY

New Study Finds It Is Impossible To Lose Weight, No One Has Ever Done It, And Those Who Are Trying Should Give Up

>theonion.com/article/new-study-finds-it-is-impossible-to-lose-weight-no-32770

We're talking TDEE here.

The takeaway from the article is that the contestants metabolisms are much lower than would be normally expected after a diet (perhaps not that hard to imagine considering they lose >100lbs in like 8 months or whatever). But it backs it up with some hard evidence of just how hard it affects their metabolism.

>Erinn Egbert, a full-time caregiver for her mother in Versailles, Ky. And she struggles mightily to keep the pounds off because her metabolism burns 552 fewer calories a day than would be expected for someone her size.

Their TDEE's range from between 500-800 less calories than they would've otherwise calculated, thats an easy 50+ lbs/year. The weight gain is definitely a combination of that and binge eating though.

>He analyzed data from a clinical trial in which people took a diabetes drug, canagliflozin, that makes them spill 360 calories a day into their urine, or took a placebo. The drug has no known effect on the brain, and the person does not realize those calories are being spilled. Those taking the drug gradually lost weight. But for every five pounds they lost, they were, without realizing it, eating an additional 200 calories a day.

These are extreme scenarios, obviously, however it shows that we might need to reevaluate how TDEE is calculated, due to the hormonal affects of weight loss after a cut.

This can all be summed up with 'fatties gonna fat'

You don't understand what I meant by sedentary lifestyle. It directly affects your tdee. Of course your tdee is going to be low if you don't do anything at all. Calculators are an estimate, there are always outliers but that doesn't mean it's impossible to change your tdee. Just because their tdee is low doesn't disprove calories in vs calories out. It's just that their calorie out is very low until they change it. (Doing liss or hiit, being more active)

~Realities of weight loss~

Fat cells don't burn up and go away, they are depleted and remain idle ready to be refueled.

If you are/were fat you have more fat cells. You will got fatter, easier than a non former fatty.

Formerly obese people have a lower BMR than non formerly obese. Combine a lower TDEE+predisposition for getting fat again+ re-emergence of fat person tendencies and you can begin to understand why so many struggle with keeping weight off/ yo-yo diet

Doing exercise is another, separate matter, but I've experienced myself that after a bigger weightloss (> 20kg), my BMR is reduced and I had to eat significantly less than what any normal calculator would tell me to. Otherwise bodyfat would start to increase again.

Then after two/three months of slowly increasing calories over time, I could again eat at the levels considered normal for my BMR without it increasing bodyfat.

I assume it might have something to do with insulin sensitivity or what-have-you, but I'm not a doctor or dietician.

Literally nfi.

I hope you stop posting here.

this sounded too good to be true so I checked it out, and there's several article from 1992 about that

nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199212313272701

they're not disproving calories in and calories out, infact they're confirming it, showing that the miscalculations of their calories (due to the hormones) was causing their weight gain.

again, atleast pretend to read the article.

After reading through the study, the results are a little suspicious.

Their conclusion is that after losing a tremendous amount of weight, the body will lower it's TDEE by an average of ~300 calories daily in an attempt to rebound back to its original weight. The problem is that there has not been a study investigating the affects of this BMR drop. How does said individual's performance compare to a control who was never obese? It is entirely possible that a body which has undergone extreme weight loss becomes adapted to run off of less daily energy - thanks to epi-genetics.

The study itself is bull-shit because there's a 6 year window with absolutely no data. The researchers have no idea what their eating and exercise habits were. Though we know, 'cause fatties gonna fat.

And various other sources, if you keep digging

Metabolism can change, true. But the variation is not as high as people claim it to be and reporting of calories is ALWAYS an issue.
Counting calories accurately (and estimating TDEE, for that matter) is so much more difficult than people believe. Even people who have struck a balance and are achieving desired weight gain/loss are just as likely to be miscalculating both calories in and out and having their desired weight change align with real weight change through coincidence and trial and error

It ALWAYS must come back to this in some form. FFS the opposite is true as well, for skeletors believing that they are intaking more than they actually are and not being able to gain weight

FATTIES ARE GOING TO FAT

I have never followed TDEE calculators, it has never worked for me and I can vouch for how ineffective it is.

According to my TDEE I should be eating 2,900 Calories per day to maintain weight exercising 3 days per week. I know this for a fact to be bullshit. I dropped the calories to 2100 per day and I know without a doubt I calculated them accurately. I did this for 3 weeks and lost....no weight. So I calculated my BMR and ate at 1700 calories on workout days and 1500 calories on non workout days and I dropped from 207 to 195lbs within a month. Now my body is maintaining weight at those numbers, so I had to drop calories even further (1500 per day on workout and non workout days) and my body started losing weight again.

While TDEE is accurate, the way it is calculated varies too much between individuals. If your metabolism is shit (like mine) you will more than likely gain weight using most TDEE calculators.