Is biking a good workout? I'm poor and cant afford weights or going to the gym and all I have is a bike...

Is biking a good workout? I'm poor and cant afford weights or going to the gym and all I have is a bike. Any advice/good workout plans using a bike?

Other urls found in this thread:

startbodyweight.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's good for cardio. You can't compare biking and lifting weights. But it will be pretty good for your heart and lungs AND you might get some decent leg muscles.

Running is far superior to biking

Im about 250 lbs and been wanting to get in shape

>i'm poor and cant afford weights or go to the gym
>wants to bike

Uh... You do know good bikes begin at 800 dollars right?

Well you can cycle for longer and it's better on your knees.

In the post I put I already own a bike

I started with biking for a number of months then picked up running. If you're not used to the pain of cardio biking will really get you in to it before running.

I didnt have a 'plan' for biking other than measure distances and try to up them every so often, i lived around a lot of woodland so the variety was great and really helped.

Only issue i had was when i started running was i picked up pirformis syndrome almost straight away which was a bitch to heal up. I think that was down to years of poor posture prior.

srry familia

so bike for some time and get into cardio?

If you want to lose weight then you don't want to lift weights, you want to do cardio (biking and running).

Like this guy said Running can be really difficult to get into at first. It is very demanding on the heart and lungs, and so for the first week or two it can be incredibly difficult to run for even 15 minutes. But if you do it everyday, eventually it does get easier.

Biking can help ease you into running because biking is easier.

Personally, however, I say you start running. Today. Go outside and run for 2.5 minutes, then walk for 2.5 minutes. Repeat that three more times (for a total of twenty minutes) and do that every day for a week.

In terms of losing weight, you will also have to limit your calorie intake. I'm not too sure about that kind of stuff though.

Buy cement mix, scrap metal, and atlas stone mold. Make stones of various different weights. Pick up put down, rinse repeat. Strongman workouts were mad for people in poverty desu

What do you fucking think?

Cycling is a great workout. You can do it for hours on end, and you get to explore the area you live in - much more so than when you go running. It also is - slightly - more of a workout for your upper body than running. You should do some core workout / pushups / whatever to balance the leg-centric workout you get from either running or cycling.

Cycling is the worst possible workout. It is the most efficient mode of transportation ever invented. So, if you look for the toughest exercise in the shortest amount of time, it's not for you.
If you have enough time, though, it's great. Just try it. What have you got to lose?

>Cycling is a great workout
>Cycling is the worst possible workout

Okay so... yeah that i guess.

So I should bike and do some leg work like squats? sorry Im new to this

It's a good quad workout with an added benefit of crappy cardio.

>I'm poor and cant afford weights or going to the gym
startbodyweight.com

>not living in a city where everyone cycles
kek, are you a fucking pleb?

in a city full of bicycles, motorbike is king

You come through Oxford on a motorbike, you look like a lowlife.

Well, bike _is_ leg workout. So you need some other workout for the rest of the body.
That's why I wrote more than just those two sentences. Is it too complicated for you? Which part do I need to explain better?

As long as you don't ride it on the road and pretend to be a car

Okay, first of all remember that getting fit and losing weight are more or less separate goals.

You get fit by doing exercise. You lose weight by adjusting your diet. No exceptions. The human body is crazy efficient about exercise, and you cannot outrun a bad diet. (This cannot be emphasized enough: DO. NOT. EXERCISE. TO. LOSE. WEIGHT. - Your body evolved to run thirty thousand kilometres in a single day so you can eat a gazelle's leg, it does not give a flying fuck that you go biking an hour a day, it will not give up it's precious life giving fat that easily).

The only way to lose weight is to learn to count calories. Which means looking at the labels for things and figuring out how much energy you just ate.

2500 calories in a day is the standard quote for the average male on maintaining their current weight (though yours is probably a little more, since you have a lot more flesh to maintain). If you eat 500 calories more than that every day for a week, you will gain a pound that week. Eat 500 less every day for a week, and you will lose a pound that week.

Doing that and exercising will obviously have you losing weight somewhat faster, but may also bring on hunger pangs.

As for exercise, at 250lbs I might recommend cycling then moving into running. Running is by far the better exercise, but cycling will still build your cardio and will ease you into the exercise thing a bit better without putting all that weight on your knees.

Once you've told all that fat to fuck off, then you'll find moving around a lot easier and can move onto running, weight lifting, pullups, etc.

CONT

Most of all do not give up. It's worth it, in a thousand different ways. I go running every day, and something that i thought of as a fucking chore is something i actually look forward to. The human body is meant to exercise, and it really does make you feel better.

As for my weight, i took two months off work after accumulating holidays for two years. Left a fat ass, came back skinny(ish), and suddenly women i've worked with for months or years are acting all strange - and i realize it's because they're flirting with me. Even if you don't care about that - its nice just to realize they've noticed the change and like it.

You do know you don't need an $800 bike to get a good workout, right?

I've used cheap $80-120 big box store bikes for years. I've just recently purchased a bike from my local shop for $380 - still no where near your unnecessary $800

This. It's easier on the body to burn 300 calories cycling than it is running.

You also get massive leg muscles going on if you sprint with the bike like pic related.