I just saw a video where Mark Rippetoe says it's impossible to increase you're vertical jump...

I just saw a video where Mark Rippetoe says it's impossible to increase you're vertical jump, and you're stuck with what you got no matter what you do.

Is that true or is Rip fibbin me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wIB_X2N6020
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's the same as deadlifting or running the 100 - you can get better but everyone has a hard genetic cap.

ill jump on rippletoes face

Not sure though, what if you started vertical jumping with a bar on your back and progressively overload it? Surely you could jump higher without the bar?

Guarantee he didn't say that. He has often said no one improves their high jump by taking it from good to elite unless they were elite to begin with

If I remember right, the video was talking about explosive power and strength. What he said was there will be a genetic limit to your explosiveness, which is true. He didn't say that it was impossible to increase your vertical jump as an example, he just said that there would be a limit to how much you can increase it, whereas others may have a smaller or larger amount they can increase theirs.

Bullshit.
Look up Candito's vertical jump.
Dude is a 170cm manlet and he can slam dunk.

I have no clue if it's genetic or just training but I can jump on shit up to my chin with a few steps start. Honestly, I think if you just work on actually jumping your jump height will increase to just about any reasonable level.

Height?

So much for that guarantee.

youtube.com/watch?v=wIB_X2N6020

3' 8"

5'10"

Completely anecdotal but my vertical jump went up by a huge amount when I started front squatting. What a dumb idea to say your vert is completely genetic, that's just what fat fucks say to justify their poor athleticism

Quoting this post so people will look up the video.

He basically talks about an easy way to establish a person's genetical potential in terms of explosive strength.
The vertical jump seems like a good indicator since it relates to more technical and thus inferior ways of measuring explosivness (Power Snatch/Clean, sprints, etc. are way more technical).

I fuckin' love taller girls m8

Also, 5' 10" is the perfect height to dunk on taller peeps and still slay mad pussy

I guarantee you didn't understand what he said

Here's the thing: your power potential is entirely genetic. Now, where you are WRT that potential can change. An 18 year old sedentary kid who has never lifted or competed seriously may have a 14 inch vertical but could jump 25 if he trained right. That potential number is pretty locked in, give or take 2 inches. I personally am a mediocre athlete. My vertical is around 24 inches. My squat is 240 for 5. Now, I also weigh 225lbs and am relatively fat. If I lost 40 lbs of fat, would my vertical get higher? Maybe, maybe not. Lot of variables. A lot of really strong guys can't jump for shit even if their squats are 400+. That's because they don't train their power. I.e. Box jumps, power cleans, etc. it should be noted that people will greater explosive potential usually have greater strength potential as well. Standing vertical jump as a general filter for finding explosive potential athletes is good. I.e. Russia going from town to town and making kids do SVJ and entering the top 5 into weightlifting. That said, you will miss kids who simply haven't tapped into that power yet.

I'm just jelous, because I'm 6'1/235lbs with an amazon fetish, which I'm never going to satify.

All the girls are so tiny or lanky.

then you better Cotton Hill that shit or move to shaqastan nigga because girls around here don't get taller than 5' 2"

Mark Rippetoe is an idiot who is only taken seriously by naive amateurs on the internet.

He's basically an older version of Jason Blaha.

>be 14yo, athletics class at school
>high jump time, go after all the other boys to see how they do
>adapt my score to be just above the previous best
>be 17, the hardest part is to lie to my coach
>have to make slow, steady progress
>at state championship, Igor is here too but we agreed we would not go above 2.30m
>this fucker jumps 2.35m
>mfw to win I have to break Steve Smith's record
>mfw I do it anyway because I'm tired of pretending
>mfw it's all genetics
>mfw I could always jump 2.41m

Talk more shit. I dare you

Man does it feel good to be 6'1.

Doesn't it, I signed up for mixed netball to flaunt off my vertical in front of short girls.