Who is the greatest chessmaster in history? Richelieu, Augustus, Nathan Rothschild....?

Who is the greatest chessmaster in history? Richelieu, Augustus, Nathan Rothschild....?

God

Cool question. I like these types. Very interesting.

Augustus just marched around and won some battles, nothing more complicated. He didn't even win the battles himself either, it was Agrippa.

>implying the game ended at Actium

You should read more on the Augustan period.

I'd unironically submit Muhammed for consideration.

He was a god-tier manipulator

Soros

What else did he do? Kill Cicero? That's not exactly master manipulation.

HE LITERALLY CONVINCED THE REPUBLIC TO GIVE HIM ALL THE POWER WHILST CONSTANTLY MAKING A SHOW OF NOT WANTING IT.

He took made a society which hated the very idea of kingship to bestow upon himself all power and moral authority. What's more, is he even chose heirs to succeed him with approval from senate and people. He overthrew the republic with their support and told them it was still a republic.

me

Richelieu lacked out. He was getting BTFO until the a noble got shot in the chest and after getting continously BTFO by Spain he got lucky with the Portuguese,Catalan and Andalusian revolts. He is the biggest meme in history

Jakob Fugger

Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-PĂ©rigord

Maybe Cisneros. He went from being a poor fucktard to ruling Castile de facto for 20 years and applying all the reforms he was liked (expelling the jews,being a cunt to the muslims to provoke a rebellion and justify their deportation,the clerical reform,centralizing power and BTFOing the nobles, financing Columbus and convincing to encourage race mixing with the indians,the north African campaigns,BTFOing Ferdinand ,the supposed chess master, and becoming the ruler of Castile and then he did all the dirty book for Charles). The guy played so much 5-D chess that people don't even know who the fuck he was when he shaped half of the world in less than 20 years.

>Jakob Fugger
>Le go bankrupt man
Such a master plan

Metternich dominated Europe for nearly half a century.

>got lucky
luck is what you make of events, if someone comes across as lucky from a 400 year perspective, it means that someone flipped the script to his advantage
there is no luck beyond a lucky sunray in a battle, anything beyond tha is not luck, it's capacity to read events and poistion yourself

also, Ricelieu's non-military achievements are greater than anything he did as an army commander so if you stick to battles you're missing quite a chunk of his legacy

Richelieu is the closest I've come to a real-life Lord Vetinari, I wish Jeremy Irons would pick up the role

Metternich, The Eternal Serpent of Venice, Constantine the Great.

Alcibiades

Nappy

>I know nothing about Augustus' ride and consolidation of power; the post

Why even post?

William Pitt The Elder

Cortes deserves at least an honorable mention. He outwitted both an emperor and opposition from his fellow Spaniards, toppling an empire while simultaneously making one of the most ambitious and world changing discoveries in history. For a man with no serious education, he was incredibly cunning and brilliant at both politics and military affairs.

Leopold II is up there.

This. He rose to power from practically nothing and united the Arabian peninsula under him, all while making everyone believe that he is a literal prophet.

Sounds cool

>Ricelieu's non-military achievements
He just imitated the policy of the catholic kings. Mazarino is way more impressive than Richelieu

> just imitated the policy of the catholic kings

>submit provincial lords
>litteraly laid the ground for transition to absolutism
>break Hapsburg hegemony in Europe, if necessary using alliances with protestants, litteraly breaking installed diplomatic tradition of forwarding religious interest before national interest
>restore fiscal discipline in fFrance

nice meme,
Mazarin was a great man, but nowhere as innovative as Richelieu

Muhammad(pbuh) does not belong among these serpents, he was chosen by Allah(swt) for his virtue and character to be the final Prophet.

>submit provincial lords
>>litteraly laid the ground for transition to absolutism
Dude do you even know what the catholic kings did in Spain? They did exactly that. His policies of dismanteling castle and the like were applied in Castile 150 years before Richelieu
>break Hapsburg hegemony in Europe, if necessary using alliances with protestants, litteraly breaking installed diplomatic tradition of forwarding religious interest before national interest
Lucked out. He was getting assfuck until things that he had no grasped on happened
>restore fiscal discipline in France
Wopitidooo see the first part of my post. Richelieu is overrated due the 3 musketeers. Mazarino was better than him at basically anything

Garry Kasparov.