Is the Overhead Press the biggest meme in gym history?

Is the Overhead Press the biggest meme in gym history?

>does fuckall for aesthetics compared to lat raises
>needlessly complicated lift for a simple set of muscles
>higher risk of injury than other shoulder excercises
>takes up a perfectly good squat rack
>piss easy to cheat on

i find that simply doing a few sets of Lat Raises and Reverse Flyes have done more for my shoulder size in a month than all my years of Overhead Pressing combined.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7erVblY7aiU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

post a pic of yourself so we can see where that has gotten you

lat raises are good but OHP involves a lot more than your deltoids

OHP is a god-tier lift

Post a pic dyel manlet

If you dont OHP, then you dont carry / throw your gf in bed, never gonna make it OP.

I currently don't OHP because my goal is not being ashamed of my bench.

However I'd say overhead press is a feat of strength more than a bodybuilding accessory.
That's kinda the point of classic lifts.

>femanon

I almost got mad til I saw your trip. Of course you wouldn't know what the fuck you are talking about...

I can OHP 155 1 rep max am i making it?

>higher risk of injury
Its safer than bench press

Exactly, if you can't pick up your girl then you ain't a man

oh wait... so OP is a girl?

If you weigh less than 170 you're getting there

this thread is a fucking meme, it has to be

>piss easy to cheat on

so don't cheat on it. honestly, OP, how hard is it to lock out your legs and use the targeted muscle group? if you feel the urge to cheat you've got the wrong mentality. honest gains > cheating.

why is cheating even a thing when it isn't a competition, it's just you and your sets? maybe i'm dumb, but how do people think like that? it reminds me of those videos of crossfitters doing pullups...yeah, it may be a more proficient pullup in the real world where you have to climb atop something, but did they forget it's a fucking exercise designed to challenge certain muscles only?

why don't you just OHP on a separate push day?

also, if you're going to cheat, then "cheat" by practicing a push press. different exercise but it's the intention to use your legs to drive your torso and the weight up

Is that a lot?

I OHP 135lbs and I've been lifting since January.

>one of the best overall compound lifts for strength and mass.
Better make a gay thread convincing otherwise

You realize OHP also helps your bench?

>being an adult male
>having a sub 2plate press
pick one

>needlessly complicated lift
How fucking complicated is pushing a bar over your head?

>doing a different lift just to OHP
squat rack is the right way

OHP is pretty sick. Conquering a truly challenging weight feels triumphant when you have it locked out. It punishes you for bad form more than any other lift IMO. If you're form isn't on point, it ain't going past your forehead. Good for shoulder health when done properly, as well. That being said, benching will develop more strength and aesthetics, but both lifts are a necessity.

op confirmed retarded

>If you're form isn't on point, it ain't going past your forehead
lel uwot

>Being an adult male
>Not doing a 2plate "The Press"

>never failed a heavy OHP

Spotted the dyel

"cheating" on OHP is a Push Press you fucking moron

>However I'd say overhead press is a feat of strength more than a bodybuilding accessory

Spotted the dyel

You HAVE to lift heavy if you're a bodybuilder

Compound exercises stimulate the most muscle growth

FFS where are all these retards coming from?

READ THE STICKY

>Start with Bench or DB Press
>Move to OHP
>Finish with lat raises

Don't rely on one movement. That being said, if OHP is the best for shoulder development by far, not even debatable. Try doing just lat raises strictly with no OHP and watch your shoulders shrink.

>been lifting since february
>can still only lift the bar
Help

Do you have polio?

get microplates asap. OHP is the biggest fucking bitchmove you will ever encounter in the gym and there's probably no exercise harder to get better at.

I bought 1.25 lb plates early into SS. I started with the bar and now I'm at 100 pounds. 1.25 on each side means you go up by 2.5 instead of 5 and deloading every week.

Flat broke atm. Couldn't I just include it in every training session (doing SL) and train to failure?

It's why I'm liking Greyskulls. The weight increases are much more reasonable and you don't have to bother with deloading early on.

>>needlessly complicated lift for a simple set of muscles
What the fuck is so complicated?

>Set bar up to correct height
>Put weight on bar
>Grab bar
>Move bar
It's the same amount of work you put into any exercise. Hell, less work since you're going to be loading on less weight compared to a bench or a squat.

either use the seated OHP rack or be a man and pick a barbell up off the ground for military press

poor form usually means people have their grip too far apart and don't activate their glutes and core before starting the rep, if you don't do that you're not going to be able to put as much weight up period

stop spreading this meme, it's not funny or smart

OHP sucks when you stall

Probably one of the best feelings to go up in weight, though

equally poor form in ohp could be whipping your hips which would get more weight up but would completely defeat the purpose of the exercise

how far do you grip the bar? I have my pinky just inside of the bearing on the bar

>whipping your hips

?

just wider than your shoulders is the best position imo, you want your arms to be as vertical as possible when at lockout, the further your arm is from the vertical the wider the angle is, which means you're exerting more force than you need to to get the bar up

70s big did a good video on it, it's probably in the thread somewhere

literally ten dollars per pair

2/10 you fucking skinnyfat

youtube.com/watch?v=7erVblY7aiU

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

THERE'S A FUCKING SEAT DEVISED FOR OHP YOU FUCKING KEK

DON'T FUCKING USE THE SQUAT RACK YOU GOD DAMN CUNT I AM MAD LAD

only if that's kilos

> Honest gains > cheating
Gains are gains.
This isn't a game when you get penalised for "cheating". There are different approaches to things - not everyone has to do what you deem right

oh right, well surely it's common sense not to do that anyway, if i ever feel like i'm going to have to bend my back like that to get the bar up i just rack it, it's not worth damaging your back for the sake of a PR that you'll probably get in a few weeks anyway

>Been lifting since 3000 B.C.
>Still can't lift my fingers up to the keyboard to type posts
>Had to use a speech-to-text device to post this

For OHP, 2.5-lb jumps were still to much for me because I'm a weak little bitch. I bought 0.5-lb plates (for 1-lb jumps). 1 lb per workout is still 180 lbs a year.

>seated press

>can't clean 1 measly plate from the floor

>losing energy from cleaning when you could use a rack and grind an extra rep out instead

yeah bro, I clean, jerk, and behind the head OHP negative my squats because I'm also a fucking retard.

Obvious bait is obvious

>>higher risk of injury than other shoulder excercises
How can you injure yourself with an OHP short of dropping the bar on your nose like a retard?

Going below 90 degrees with too much weight could snap your shoulder

shut up you retard

>Implying being able to lift heavy weights above your head isn't the second most alpha lift, losing only to the deadlifts

>cleaning 1plate actually drains him
>laughinggirls.jpg

I do 132 5x5, but I am fat as fuck.

>squating in the press rack
just fucking clean the bar and do front squats

This has been my favorite part of making sick gainz

This is all the motivation I needed to start lifting, still cant OHP though

Make me

Yep, pretty much the same as a deadlift in that regard

True, but when a movement is performed the intention is that it will work a certain muscle group. What's the point in cheating when you can just do a different exercise? Don't look at it as cheating but bad form if that helps.

I don't get how people can dislike the OHP and not strive to improve on it. I get that its hard, but whats more satisfying than strictly pushing weight like that over your head? Shits metal, man. Also, I don't do much besides OHP for my shoulders, and they're p sexy if I do say so myself.

>needlessly complicated lift for a simple set of muscles

Lifting shit over your head is a basic life skill.

If you can't, then do the following:
>lift a barbell over your head
>drop it
>die
>your kids won't exist, so we don't have to put up with your autistic shit.

do it with dumbbells

I actually popped something in my neck from straining too hard recently. OHP wasn't the issue per say, more the last straw. My guess is that shit form on other lifts set me up for failure. Slept in an airplane pillow for a week. Just don't be a retard and lift when injured--especially if it's your neck.

that's not even true senpai

Then I have a weak right shoulder, because it always pops and snaps quite often when I go below 90 degrees on bench or OHP with too much weight

What the fuck? How much do you weigh? I really can't believe you can't push more than 45lbs over your head user. That's some grade school tier shit user.

weighted pullups > deadlift > barbell rows > ohp

ohp would be manly if you could lift more and look more intimidating, but most people can't.

After 7 months and 23 days i finally hit 1plate today ohp

I've got pretty big shoulders, and I'd attribute 90% of the mass to OHP and

Congrats. It's a pretty sweet milestone.

Thanks man! One step closer to making it!

Do it seated on a smith machine. This way you will be able to focus on your shoulders. The part you intend to work with OHP.

Standing OHP is a shitty exercise for aesthetics because you will not be able to lift that much weight when you have to focus on balance and not fucking up your spine primarly. It's a good accesory exercise for powerlifting/oly lifting though.

manlet detected

Ohp has probably helped me the most of all lifts. Its fuckimg fantastic.

A) like all badass compounds it helps with aesthetics insofar as helping build a ton of muscle quickly. It works all your shoulders some upper chest, core and ass too.

B) its really not complicated in the slightest. Compared to deadlifts or good bench/squat form ohp is easier even.

C) citation needed. Unless you go full retard and use bad form or go way too heavy you should be fine. I've had zero problems so far, I think dumbell overhead press and behind neck shit is bad though.

D) Tue enough. But its a good exercise so I'd hardly see its a waist. Try clean pressing 135 lbs up to your shoulders for a strict press and then lowering it after 5 reps safely. Not fun.

E) no easier than benching. Ease to cheat isn't an issue anyways. Your own ineptitude at lifting doesnt disparage the lift.

Why has OP made this thread like 5 times today?

Question: Where do you do OHP in your gym? How do you set up for it?

Sitting your fatass down puts more pressure on your spine while OHP's then standing. Dumbass

>Be fatass me.
>Do OHP 1.5 times per week.
>Joocy delts popping out of fat within a month.

>because it doesn't do anything for aesthetics, it's a meme

People who think the gym is about training only to bodybuild should be shot.

>i find that simply doing a few sets of Lat Raises and Reverse Flyes have done more for my shoulder size in a month than all my years of Overhead Pressing combined.

>It's absolutely not possible that human bodies are different, every single person has the same body type and react the same to an exercise like me

I saw better results in six weeks of emphasizing BP over the OHP than three months of the reverse. It hasn't slowed down my boxing either.

Tfw
>OHP 235
>have huge ass god tier delts
Stay skelly

I literally do not lift and I have no problem doing this, why are you dating whales user?

you can't just say that.
Pic and natty status required

T bar Press > ohp

Ohp was by far my weakest lift when I started lifting

I started lifting because I couldn't lift trusses overhead

Now I can lift trusses overhead and I'm much better at my job

OHP is my favourite and strongest lift by far. I have OHPd 97.5kg before while my Squat was only 120kg, simply because I focussed so much on OHP. I just leave the feeling of it. This complete primal domination of the weight. It's just great. Also my shoulders are probably my only slightly remarkable bodypart as a result of this lel.
I look pretty shit though, so you should take that with a grain of salt I guess.

Or fool around with the rep ranges to have progressive overload.