Okay, what the fuck is with olympic lifting? People look like absolute idiots doing it...

Okay, what the fuck is with olympic lifting? People look like absolute idiots doing it, and it cannot be good on your joints.
Can someone give me a real understanding of the purpose of these, other than to boost ego?

Other urls found in this thread:

bodybuilding.com/fun/olympiclift.htm
nickbolton.fitness/news/2014/12/11/benefits-of-olympic-weightlifting
journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/1999/02000/A_Comparison_of_Strength_and_Power_Characteristics.11.aspx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_labour
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's basically Powetlifting if you took away the respect for form and the humble nature

Are you sure you're not talking about crossfit?

Why do people still think they are the Same fucking thing

Powerlifting sounds like douchebaggery, too. How do you get any gain out of these exercises?

>anything sumo is good form
alright buddy

its a fun way to lift and become stronger
crossfit is its retarded sibling

Maybe I was not being clear.
Clean&Jerks and Snatches make you stronger?
Fucking HOW? The entire procedure is in the fucking momentum of the bar and you standing up.

olympic lifting is a meme

there are like 20 faggots (more every month) at my college gym who are at the gym for 4+ hours a day, hogging to platform, doing one spergy rep with like 140 lbs per hour

and then they sit around looking around smugly and talk about how often they foam roll, and how great the technique they have been using to lift the exact same weight, the exact same way for 6 months is

at least powerlifting is badass

>how does moving 300lbs from your feet to over your head make you stronger

user pls

>momentum of the bar
Your getting there buddy keep trying

Swinging it around does not make you as strong as individually training muscle groups.
Everyone I see doing this in the way they tell you to do it is jerking the bar into position without fully following through. They dive underneath the bar, doing no lifting, and instead just stand up.
Why not do a squat/deadlift?

Powerlifting is essentially strength training for fat people who want to jade 24% bodyfat as "pure muscle." Go on a fucking run, tubby.

what do you think creates that momentum?
also weightlifters do squats and deadlifts to get better at their movements

The slight, momentary push creates it, relieving the muscle for the remainder of the motion while the person moves their relatively lesser weighted body into position, and then recruits already-accounted-for muscles to do the real work.
The clean and jerk makes literally no sense. The fucking hip-bump is part of the exercise.

Because fitness is more than just strength you fucking moron.

Oly lifting requires speed, power, strength, flexibility, and balance.

It's a hell of a lot more technical and interesting to watch than powerlifting.

So you have never done a proper Olympic lift

That's like saying the only force for any movement is only at the beginning of the lift

>The slight, momentary push creates it
>slight
>push

Kill yourself.

Olympic weightlifting has over a hundred years of history. Those lifts come from a history of cultures modifying and changing lifts and techniques to get incredibly heavy shit off the ground. Competitive powerlifting has only been arounf since the 50s, though the moves were known before that.

No one fucking cares about *watching* it. I asked what it does to improve your fitness.
The "proper" method, as described by every major video on form out there, tells you to use your hips to bump the bar up, to dive under the bar, et cetera.
How would you describe it?
How does this fucking relate to increasing muscle fitness?

>No one fucking cares about *watching* it. I asked what it does to improve your fitness.
I and hundreds of thousands of people do too

>The "proper" method, as described by every major video on form out there, tells you to use your hips to bump the bar up, to dive under the bar, et cetera.
How do you get the bar to your hips? How do you stop the weight falling to the ground again? Must be magic 2bh

>How would you describe it?
A huge exertion of force. To the magnitude of if you are competing you literally can't lift anything again because you are spent

>How does this fucking relate to increasing muscle fitness?
You missed >incredibly heavy shit off the ground can't do that without muscles that are strong

Go play in traffic while unsupervised

(you)

When I said no one fucking cares, I meant in the context of this discussion, regarding the fitness.
Stopping the weight from falling to the ground involves standing under it. That ONLY requires the strength of keeping your joints locked.

What you are describing is a DEMONSTRATION of fitness, not one you use to increase it. Why are people doing this at fucking gyms?

Olympic lifting has a pretty low injury rate desu, just like powerlifting and bodybuilding and other weight training.

Power cleans are pretty fun, so snatches and clean and jerks are probably pretty fun too

I guess the purpose is to get strong

>locking your joints

you clearly don't know anything about weightlifting

I dunno m8, why would anyone care about any demonstration of strength, like a heavy bench press, or log lift, or squat.

Also, I guarantee if you do lots of cleans you'll get strong

>Stopping the weight from falling to the ground involves standing under it. That ONLY requires the strength of keeping your joints locked.
Go hold your body weight above your head for several hours if it doesn't require any real strength. Fuck it do twice your body weight if it's so easy

>What you are describing is a DEMONSTRATION of fitness, not one you use to increase it. Why are people doing this at fucking gyms?
Are you trying to say doing a lift doesn't increase your strength in that lift?

Again, this makes no sense.
You can punch rocks and get stronger bones.
You can push rocks and get stronger muscles.
Does that mean you did it in an efficient and useful manner? People doing this at the gym tout it as the most useful exercise. Where is the fucking proof?

Wow this is the best b8 I've seen in months, 11/10 user.

With your joints locked, it is easier than holding it in any other form. This is what makes sense.
>doesn't increase your strength IN THAT LIFT
I am talking about general muscle fitness, not specific training of a specific movement that has no fucking useful application elsewhere.

You should probably ask them, why not talk to them, they and you could probably learn from each other

Right, because people at the gym generally know anything other than how many crunches buzzfeed told them to do that day.

Olympic lifts increase your vertical jump, all the top guys have crazy vertical jumps like this guy

>I am talking about general muscle fitness, not specific training of a specific movement that has no fucking useful application elsewhere.
>no fucking useful application elsewhere
Literally the most useful 2 lifts ever. So useful that competition with those lifts has become a highly competitive sport way back before the first Olympic games
They might not be useful to you in your daily basement life but to say that they are not useful is truly retarded

>other people frighten me

>I am talking about general muscle fitness, not specific training of a specific movement that has no fucking useful application elsewhere.
Nice goalpost moving there

>at this moment..

90% of people and trainers at the gym are at broscience level and aren't worth talking to about workout stuff

If they're doing oly lifts, they probably aren't getting their fitness advice from buzzfeed.

I still got to say that olympic weightlifting looks sick and some of the weightlifters are just next level strength and aesthetics wise.
Just getting boners watching klokov's and xiaojun's physiques and lifts

some of these olympic lifters have never done a day of bench press before. then they'll go in and rep like 315lb+ no problem.

don't fucking tell me OLY doesn't make you strong as an ox

nobody can be this stupid

Because Olympic lifting is the apex of lifting. You take a metric shit ton of weight and get it from the ground to above your head. And that ability comes from training muscle groups as well as technique.

Nothing you just said supports your claim. What the fuck?
Not whatsoever; my experience has been that gym culture is unfortunately ignorant and superstitious.
The beginning of this goddamned thread had me asking what gains you get from it.
Buzzfeed equivalents.
So, as I already said, olympic weightlifting is just showing off, not building anything useful?

What do you have to lose by talking to them user? You have lots to gain, and maybe they do too?

I am implying that I have already fucking talked with a majority of these people, or otherwise been able to deduce that they are full of superstition. How are you this fucking autistic?

S-sorry user

bodybuilding.com/fun/olympiclift.htm

nickbolton.fitness/news/2014/12/11/benefits-of-olympic-weightlifting

journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/1999/02000/A_Comparison_of_Strength_and_Power_Characteristics.11.aspx

Its been proven that Oly lifting is good for you. Compound lifts are good for you (ie squats, deadlifts, OHP, etc). Oly lifting uses all these compound movements in one blast to lift the weight from the ground to above the lifters head.
It isn't good for joints if done incorrectly.
Idiots lifting look like idiots.
Olympic lifting's purpose is to lift an enormous amount of weight in a effective and efficient manner using the entire athletes body.
Benefits include:
>Stronger athlete

I wish you had studied physics user
>Massive weight
>Unparalelled ROM
>Done explosively
>Yet somehow it's not impressive to be able to generate that amount of power, nor is it any good for your personal fitness

Thanks user
You da real mvp of this thread

T-thank

>done explosively
>humping the bar instead of merely lifting it is "explosive"
lol okay, enjoy your reduced stress on the muscles it is supposed to be making stronger

>People enjoy the feeling of the barbell being weightless as they drop underneath it
Hmm. I said this earlier. Sounds like you are not lifting it during this phase.

All of those things that are claimed to be improved by olympic weightlifting are improved equally by normal weightlifting, and none of the data shown here supports olympic weightlifting as being superior.

Wow I dont even lift but Its fucking obvious that this guy thats moving you all around is just a troll that Im starting to question if training your body too much directly makes you dumb or something like that
You needed more protein, Veeky Forumsers, and you bite the b8 like crazy

-bad english I know
Also bad b8 and you ate it

Where do you get the idea all the force in this lift comes from a bump ?

>humping the bar
Veeky Forums pls

Hey OP! Can you evade your handler and play on the highway!? It's a lot of fun I know you would enjoy it!!

Sorry OP, when did I write that. I've read through my post and at no point did I ever say
>People enjoy the feeling of the barbell being weightless as they drop underneath it

I simply stated that Olympic lifting is a combination of compound exercises. Compound exercises are very good for the lifter body. Olympic lifting combines various compound movements together to perform a standard olympic lift. Aka this means that almost all large muscle groups are recruited to perform a lift.
I honestly don't know what you want to know OP. I've talked about all your points in the first post. It's up to you to do the reading and take on board what this thread has said. We have stated what Olympic lifting is, nothing more can really be said. Sorry if I couldn't help you user, I legitimately want to help you.

It is a large part of the exercise, commonly stressed by people teaching it to others. It is important to note, as people claim that the force is coming from muscle groups that are truly not involved.
We all know that jerking weight around and exploiting momentum lessens the overall benefit you get from the exercise. Next thing you know, people will say that kipping is a fucking necessary part of the pull-up.
It was in the article you just linked, fuckwit.
Power cleans are all about lessening the overall stress on muscle groups by using your body's momentum instead of your muscle groups. Please just pull up a fucking instruction video for them and see how none of this should exist.

8/10

>fuckwit
Ok OP.
You hurt me bro, we're all just trying to make it.
Olympic lifting is simply a way to make it. Just look at some of klokov's videos and tell me that he isn't an insanely strong man. Olympic lifting is just a way of lifting weights.
Fuck me for helping right.

gr8 b8 m8 would r8 8/8 obvious troll but it's to l8 to stop the h8

>zyzzwelcomesbrothertovalhalla.jpg

>one lift that trains large percentage of muscles in your body
>useless
No.

Trains to do what, specifically? There seems to be absolutely no proof that it translates to daily fitness.

Oh son arent you b8ing this fittards
I salute your skull

There's literally no point in doing either power lifting or oly lifting if your goal isnt to compete. It's all just cock measuring if you dont compete. Pretty beta if you ask me.

... You didn't look very hard for proof, did you?

>all muscle groups used
>all muscle groups stronger
>implying stronger muscles aren't useful in day to day life
K
Obvious shitposter

Be nice to him. He is only "pretending" to be retarded

Mkay

"Stronger" in this context is almost entirely due to repeating the motion, and therefore training specific capability to perform the extremely limited motion used in the exercise. The clean and jerk/snatch are very specific, and fail to train the opposite motion at all. How the fuck are you teaching extra recruitment when those exercises obviously favor muscle groups that move the body in one direction?

>stronger muscles are useful in day to day life
Are you a caveman? Do you need to lift rocks? To fight physically for survival?
No shit. Stronger muscles are useless unless you start fights in bars and shit like that. This whole world of ours that we've created eliminates the need of physical effort in day to day life.
But what the fu k am I doing, this is Veeky Forums, with f, not Veeky Forums

Please do not try and derail this. It is provable that a certain amount of base strength makes everything easier, and that having those muscles around improves resilience and robustness in regard to injuries.
However, olympic lifting does not seem to do any of that. People do not do fucking 'sets' of the clean and jerk. They just record themselves doing it once and then post it to Facebook.

>"Stronger" in this context is almost entirely due to repeating the motion
This is literally every lift at a gym
>therefore training specific capability to perform the extremely limited motion used in the exercise.
No
>The clean and jerk/snatch are very specific
Yes
>fail to train the opposite motion at all.
Not really relevant
>How the fuck are you teaching extra recruitment when those exercises obviously favor muscle groups that move the body in one direction?
You have heard about accessory exercises right?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_labour
kay

Its literally every lift, but the extent to which its true is somewhat variable. Less technical lifts tend to have better (or at least more reliable) carryover to other stuff because you have much less room to improve just by getting more efficient at the movement.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. Completely. You got me!

Splitting my argument into separate clauses that do not depend on context is not going to allow you to understand my argument at all.
You need to realize that I am saying that, even if olympic weightlifting does improve strength, it is inferior to the other methods we have discovered, and that people who champion it as a bodybuilding and fitness improvement are fucking idiotic, because the entire thing is a dickshowing contest that does not actually translate to proper fitness.

Good post.
You kinda RAPED that guy.

>posting the inferior version

then do those other more effective methods. Your talk with us has obviously strengthened your conviction that there is a better way to be stronger. We are ok with this, go do it. If you don't like Olympic lifting that is fine, but I personally prefer oly over other forms of lifting. I'll lift my way and you'll lift yours. It's called being different people user, different strokes for different folks.

I've never seen someone misunderstand hip contact before.
What the fuck are you smoking OP?

Have you ever even attempted one of the Olympic lifts? With proper form?

ITT OP tried and olympic lifting at the gym and either was:
>out lifted and emasculated by a grill
Or
>went to snap city

The purpose of this discussion is to seek, through our respective methods, truth. I am not here to be recruited, and that is why I oppose the broscience posted here.
There is nothing subjective about these methods. Fuck what you like, I want to know why people tout that it works.
Nope. I have observed dozens of people olympic lifting, and have seen no such support for the claims made here.

Post your body and you lift stats.

>powerlifting
>respect for form

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

This discussion is not "Olympic lifting doesn't work for me xDDDDD"
It is "Olympic lifting is inferior for the purposes of building fitness and seems to be only for showboating already-accrued fitness."

I'm not that guy, and I agree that Oly will make you strong, but Weightlifters are on tons of gear, benching 315, even without training bench press, is nothing for them.

Okay. Look at most Oly lifters from Post-Soviet countries. They're all taken from a young age and train almost exclusively in Olympic lifts or accessories to train Olympic lifts.

The reason you should post your body and stats is so that you have more evidence to back up your own claims, and I'm just going to assume if you aren't confident enough to post them and will keep dodging out of doing so.

gets me everytime

I literally laughed
You got more retards like this??

Come on, Klokov is on tons of gear. A natty Oly lifter will look like shit, just like a natty powerlifter.

Aside from Bulgaria, the post-soviet countries mostly inherited the old Soviet approach and that system relies heavily only bodybuilding assistance work and general strength exercises alongside both the actual comp lifts and specific strength work.

Is Ilya on something? He looks like shit all the time but he's the one with all the records.

Olympic lifts aren't really for building strength, they're for building power. While strength is about producing enough force to move a heavy object, power is about producing enough force to move a heavy object as quickly as possible. The idea is that you train Olympic lifts to get better at explosive movement, which is why sprinters do cleans as part of their training

To back up my own claims, I should never use my own experience. That has inherent bias, and we are talking on a basic level.
Are you really telling me that these people train with literally two lifts: The Clean&Jerk and the Snatch, and they get the same gains as you would doing absolutely everything else we do in the pursuit of fitness?

Klokov does bodybuilding accessories like lateral raises and trains on machines too, he didn't get his physique doing Oly lifts only, sorry to break your bubble.

Steroid/peds/cheating the system is rampant in any professional sport at a professional level