First schleswig-holstein war

Low Medieval Byzantine Army

High Medieval Byzantine Army

An armored condottieri

Teutonic Knight

An Arabic Cavalryman

A Persian Cavalryman

A Turkish Cavalryman

Why would the Roman infantry use curved swords? The cav I can understand, but the infantry? I can't imagine sabres being very useful in a melee fight against chain mail armoured opponents.

This chainmail should have been heavy as shit. I tried it once in a museum and it’s fucking ridiculous.

I'm guessing once not only gets used to it but is also conditioned to use it.

Now imagine wearing both mail AND steel plate.

youtube.com/watch?v=ebMrRxK5S3U

I wonder why late Roman aesthetics never caught on like 1st Century Rome aesthetics did

Kek, not bad user.

Too medieval for plebs to process.

If I'd have to guess it would have to do with the chronology of archeological finds.

I mean, it's easier to associate a piece of equipment with the Romans if you find it on the large surviving monuments around the med, if you don't have carbon dating or enough means to organize proper archeological excavations.

So of course the "classical" Roman soldier appearance was depicted once again as soon as an artist decided to take a look at Trajan's column, and that became the norm in artistic depictions and what would become popular culture. By the time people could properly assess what a late roman looked like and could start dating finds and translating newfound media, the lorica segmentata was so deeply ingrained in everyone's imagination that only historians and a bunch weirdos on total war forums could know and actually want to accurately represent what those looks. Plus it's easier to make a segmentata for your extras than glorious late roman garb.

Just downloaded the military series. Lots of interesting shit. Give a shout of anything you guys need.

The Men-at-Arms series is still being downloaded as I'm writing this

>I wonder why late Roman aesthetics never caught on like 1st Century Rome aesthetics did

Because their aesthetics are a mess and they look similar to many other armies in various periods of history.

1st c. legions had a very unique look, especially when you consider that normies picture them as all wearing red tunics with segmentata and uniformly painted shields (the RTW look). They looked unique and very 'clean'; in that their equipment was extremely functional, their decoration (crests, standards, fancy helmets, weapons, and muscle cuirasses) all was simple and bold.

Late Roman/Byzantine soldiers are generally depicted wearing a mess of gaudy shit, bright mismatching colours, strange and not cool looking (compared to segmentata and muscle cuirasses) armour. Plus they don't look distinctly 'Roman' or really distinctly anything, as a lot of their armour and weapon designs in the period were simply copied from Germanics and Persians, so they look similar to them in many ways. They're just a chaotic mishmash of overcomplicated, gaudy shit.

People like simple yet striking aesthetics, hence muscle cuirasses, corinthian helms, segmentata, aspides, and Gallic pattern helms are 'cool'.

I personally love the Byzantine autism aesthetic just as much as any other, but you really do have to have actual autism to appreciate it fully.

Because late Romans never caught on like 1st century Romans did.

wish I could draw in this style it captures much

they look goofy af

is that tom hanks

SERGEANT HORVAAAAAAAATH

These pics make perfect reaction images

Will military uniforms ever be so stylish and colorful again?

Once we get power armor it will at least be badass.

>implying you need a power armor to be badass

Kek, saving that

Can't stop me now

Truly, you do the Lord's work, user.

Thanks, (though was one I had around for two years, it was made by another user)

These images are great, any more from early modern Europe, 15th - 18th century specifically?

Is that a dryse needle rifle?

those horses are really short

why do you think they're not riding them, user?

because they don't have saddles?

Clearer, perhaps?

Fuck, lemme up the jpg

>Jewish merchant

I used to think Napoleonic era uniforms were ridiculous, but they're starting to grow on me. The fact that there were so many more countries back then and each had its own style really tickles my autism.