Materialism

What is actually wrong with materialism?
If a person is happy buying new clothes or the latest technological gadget or sports cars ir whatever, why should that be of any concern?
Also, what's the deal with wealthy people rambling on about muh materialism? Like one thing is someone who lives ascetically preaching on materialism but people who live frugally? That sounds incoherent.

Pic not related.

Other urls found in this thread:

pursuit-of-happiness.org/history-of-happiness/epicurus/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's only something wrong with it if it's a form of escapism, if the person who indulges in it is doing so to hide from, for example, mortality. To look at things with clear eyes and enjoy the material is not a problem.
I suspect that because deologues are addicted to their own narrative-systems, many of them don't understand the difference between escapist materialism and the other variety.

*ideologues

The problem with materialism is not that you are making others hurt (except as being a bad example to others). The problem with materialism is that it makes the materialistic person unhappier. It is a bad "ideology" to have.

What is the criteria that determines a person is indulging in the material as a form of escapism?

Why does it make people unhappy?

There's nothing wrong with it until you become middle-class. After that it stops having value.

This is evidenced by numerous studies saying that people who earn more than middle-class really aren't any happier.

>If a person is happy buying
That's consumerism, the problem is stupidity that accompanies it.
That's some serious illiteracy, idealism and religion is (often) escapism from mortality.

>materialism is the same as consumerism
Brainlets get the bullet first

The satisfaction never lasts. You always want more stuff. Mo' money, mo' problems.

It depends what you mean by materialism.

Post-modernists, for example, are essentially upholding the belief that humans are ultimately materialist -- that they want stuff and this is the ultimate nature of humanity. To satisfy the self with things. Greed, lust, thievery, murder, hunger, etc. In other words, it is NOT the Enlightenment value of seeking the truth (inner and outer), knowledge, and so on. That Enlightenment values are hollow empty shells espoused purely to create a power advantage to feed yet more materialism.

I wonder what the methodology of those studies is.

Consumerism may be a manifestation of materialism, I'm not equating both terms.

Does "brainlet" include people who lack basic comprehension skills?

Perhaps the desire to acquire more and more is a source of motivation that keeps them happy?

>Why does it make people unhappy?
pursuit-of-happiness.org/history-of-happiness/epicurus/

As Epicurus would say: "If you wish to make Pythocles rich, do not add to his store of money, but subtract from his desires."

Desire to acquire makes you unhappier, not happier.

Think of "materialism" as defined in dictionary.com.

Why? Why may a person not be happy having the next thing to buy as their goal? Not one of those people btw.

Read the link I posted.

My man!

Not only that, but materialism is best understood through:

Hedonism

A deeply flawed philosophy...

Could you cite a part where it's explained how the desire to acquire makes one unhappy? I agree that acquiring stuff does not make one happy, but to say that it makes people unhappy sounds dubious.

Here's the problem with materialism. It's rooted in physicalism which is false. If you believe all is physical then you will value resources before ideals.

When you realize that physicalism is false and consciousness is the fundamental reality materialism evaporates in light of the reality of ideals being of ultimate value. We value truth, goodness, and ideals as such and subordinate resources to them rather than the other way around.

Nothing wrong.

It's just leftists REEing because people do things they don't like.

This is why I love Taoism. It basically says owning possessions is fine, just don't let them own you...

>It's just leftists REEing because people do things they don't like.
Im-fucking-plying there aren't any right-wing traditionalists REE'ing about "muh degeneracy" who think that their life would be better and anime would come to life if we de-industrialized and all went back to being feudal serfs