What's the best beginner workout for strength/aesthetics? I have read the sticky...

What's the best beginner workout for strength/aesthetics? I have read the sticky, but after seeing people have who tried the SS/SL workouts struggling to progress I'm having second doubts

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/
youtube.com/watch?v=e4X0SUFiQvQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

SS is alright, but it gets boring

I moved onto this reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

Don't do , PPL is shit. Start with SS, actually read the book. Once you add chinups add skullcrushers and curls to your Friday workouts. Once you begin stalling (failing on the first set) switch to Candito's Linear Program. It's an upper/lower split, still has progression and is great for an advanced beginner.

how many aesthetic guys have you seen who started with SS or SL?

just ppl or bro split, like the vast vast majority of people with actual decent (natty) bodies

>doing 10 reps of babyweight will build muscle
You are confirmed DYEL.

everyone who has lifted for more than a few months knows ss is one of the best novice routines around.

Gslp is my preference, especially for upper/lower body symmetry.

Just invest 3-6 months getting stronk.

Trust me. The guy repping 225 x 8 will always have a bigger chest than the fucktarded bro splitter repping 125x8

Progression is shit if you have too many exercises, or work too high of rep range (can't build strength by training endurance)

Push/Pull/Legs

very fun

Ppl is intermediate.

Op asked for a novice routine.

Doing ppl without a strength base is retarded.

That being said, ppl is GOAT for aesthetics

What about StrongLifts? Is it just as good as SS? I'm thinking about starting one or the other this summer.

Is PxPxLxx good or should I do PPLPPLx

>everyone on the internet knows
ftfy

PPLPPLx is what I try to do. PxPxLxx just has too much rest.

Came here to post exactly this. You start off with compounds so you can make strength progress (albeit slower than a solely strength focused program), but you'll make actual gains unlike with most beginner programs, especially SS. You can also just comfortably roll into an intermediate program with it as well like I did.

SS is superior to SL. ICF is also up there, but has a lot of accessory volume.

Linear progression is a little harder on sl and causes early and unnecessary stalls.

Plus after the first two sets, you have already got your maximal strength response.

The last three sets are endurance/volume.

If anything do 2x5 then follow it up with 1-2x10

Use a 1rm calculator to estimate your 10rm based on your 5rm

Or just do 3x5

Depends on exercise amount and selection.

If your volume is stupid high, rest more.
If it is low, rest less.

I will say by the time you are an intermediate lifter, you should know your body enough to know when you need to rest (autoregulation is better than sticking to a cookie cutter schedule)

It doesn't matter what program a noob does. Consistency with a full-body routine does.

Isolationist are pointless for a novice lifter 2bh.

You make hella gains on lp programs.

Progressive overload is the driving force behind muscle growth.

And progressively overloading your muscles is exactly what novice routines do

>after seeing people have who tried the SS/SL workouts struggling to progress I'm having second doubts
are you kidding me? people who do SS properly make insane progress in a short period of time.

I like Greyskull too but it really isn't that different from SS. Still 3x5 Olympic lifts with a heavy emphasis on chins as a primary accessory.

Basically OP just do SS or Greyskull for a few months until you're not lifting baby weight and you know enough to make an informed decision on which intermediate program to use.

>strength programs will give you muscle gains

Go look up the SS victim thread in the catalogue.

I am just wondering, why do you need a strength base for PPL?

>people who did SS wrong look like shit

Unsurprising.

you don't

if you mainly do compounds you can get aesthetic and even strong on PPL
you try to add weight

Looking for advice. I was thinking about starting PPL when I get back from college, I wouldn't mind working out 6 days a week. I did strong lifts for about a year and managing diet went from 130 to 200 and cut to 185 at 6'4. I had a shitty gym partner that spotted way to much and made it hard to progress. I was repping bench about a plate 25 for example only to find out I couldn't even lift that much. Then I did a little cutting and lost a little more progress and now I only rep like a fucking plate. Am I even strong enough for PPL? Will I progress as fast? I can answer any questions or post the progress pictures if you want. I appreciate your guys's help.

>reddit

Fuck off cuckold

Yeah i do PPL 5×5 on all my main lifts and have been progressing well

I do 4x8 or 3x10 in everything else

lol @ SS for poor dumb fuckers who just want to look good, enjoy losing a year of your life between becoming a doughy satyr and trying to fix the damage once you realize you fucked up

if you want to be aesthetic, do an aesthetics routine, no one but Veeky Forums faggots care about the "strength base" in your relaxed fit dad jeans

>go to the gym for 1 1/2 hours, 6 times a week, doing endless reps with baby weight on machines
>go to the gym 50 minutes, 3 times a week, do 3 compound lifts and one or two accessories and leave, and add weight each workout then switch to periodized/split programming after you stall

I promise you that after a year, the second person is going to look better every time.

I'd be curious to hear the answers if OP went up to the most aesthetic guys in his gym and asked if any of them had HEARD of SS ... it's an internet meme, in actual gyms most of the big guys do bro splits and always have

inb4 "they're on gear," how is it that SS guys are always natty but splitters aren't? maybe because the overwhelming majority of SS victims look like shit

there's a reason there are more SS victim threads than SS success threads

>why arent any of these big guys on beginner programs what the hell guys??

and why haven't they ever been

seriously, there are lots of 6 month and 1 year progress pics of guys who've made good gains on "broscience" splits but I would honestly like to see these "look better than a split after a year" SS pics

not even being an ass right now desu, if there are pics of guys starting on SS and looking decent after 6 months or a year, I'd like to see them

>this new DYEL is sucking so hard at the nipple of Rippletits that he thinks that a beginner strength routine will get you aesthetic
>You seriously think low volume three times a week will build more muscle than high volume six times a week
>so fucking retarded that you don't realize the links specifically programmed heavy 5x5 compounds at the start of each workout

Jesus Christ, try lifting for a couple of years, kiddo.

And to add, that routine from reddit has no fucking machine work. You didn't even read it, you just started parroting shit you've read in your whole week on here.

>Having doubts
That's not a winner's attitude

>implying your faggotry isnt just as bad

Get to at least 215x5 bench

Volume is sets x reps x weight.

So low set x rep is more volume, because you are actually moving weight.

If your sets are 4 and your reps are 10, the volume is lower because 4 x 10 x 0 = 0

Best thing you can do is just stick to a fairly basic program that focuses on the big 3 with a much smaller focus on accessory work

I think 5/3/1 is good because it allows you to hit a variety of rep ranges, there is progression baked in, and it focuses on squat, bench, deadlift, and OHP

Getting your form correct with the big 3 is the most important thing IMO and so many people overlook it.

The program itself is almost irrelevant especially at the early stages (so long as the program has you pushing the weight) because you're going to be so new that you'll respond to almost any stimulus.

I am NYR faggot, but already i look half decent.

Should i embarass myself with a pic?

Also no pic from january before i lifted to compare against, but i actually have a chest now

Also started fat and still cutting, so no abs : s

5/3/1 is literally intermediate

Why does someone have to be an intermediate to do 5/3/1?

PPL is great after you've lifted a while, but has too much frequency for a novice. PPL pretty much requires 5+ days a week, or else you're only hitting muscles once a week, which is bad. SS/SL hit full body 3x a week, without necessitating 5+ days at the gym, which result in a high probability of injury for a beginner.

/thread
youtube.com/watch?v=e4X0SUFiQvQ

>why be intermediate to do an intermediate routine?

I'm asking you to define what makes it 'intermediate'

It's just a percent based progressive program.
If it's too hard cut the accessory work, if it's too easy bump the weight or add more specific accessory work.
It's just lifting weights. don't be afraid to get after it and don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. it's not rocket science.

Direct quote from Jim Wendler on 5/3/1 "You can never start too light" yet somehow in your mind this is an 'intermediate only' program and you seem to be unable to explain why.

It's a simple program, it works for a lot of people. It's something other than the hivemind "5x5"

At the end of the day just find a program that you like and stick with it for a while. It's that simple.

kill yourself

Go read the routine, and you'll realize that even by that logic you're still entirely wrong. Either that or you're just trolling.