Has it ever been explained why Irish people look like this?

Irish football fans in this picture one is the classical pale ginger, while the other looks almost Mediterranean. I've noticed many Irish people can look like either. Like there is two distinct types of Irish.

Other urls found in this thread:

pnas.org/content/113/2/368.abstract
tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01296484/document
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most Irish are basically the original Native Spaniards before Arabs invaded. Meaning they have dark hair, and blue eyes. The Gingers and Blondes are from ancient Scythia with some Norse influence.

>Like there is two distinct types of Irish.
More than two. Ireland is very phenotypically diverse.

I heard about this before.
They looked kinda like Peter Gallagher, right?

The blonde and ginger Irish and Brits are Germanics that came after the Romans abandoned Britain. The swarthier, more Med looking ones like Colin Farell and Rowan Atkinson are Celtic, the actual native Britons that have been on the island since forever.

It's just normal genetic variation. You can observe the same difference in English or French or Spanish or North African people but for some reason it's romanticised with Irish people and turned into this big pseudohistorical concept.

These are wrong. Ireland has remained more or less genetically unchanged since its first human settlement. I expect these anons are just trying to troll.

Sources:
Barry, T. (ed.) A History of Settlement in Ireland. (2000) Routledge.
Cooney, Gabriel (2000). Landscapes of Neolithic Ireland. London: Routledge.
Flanagan L. Ancient Ireland. Life before the Celts. (1998)
O'Kelly, Michael J.; O'Kelly, Claire (1989). Early Ireland: an introduction to Irish prehistory. Cambridge University Press.

>Celtic
>the actual native Britons
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
THEN WHO BUILT THE MEGALITHS?

It may be explained by Indo-R1bean genes inherited from Yamnaya people.

It may also be explained by the Lebor Gabála Érenn, according to this book, the Irish aka Ivernians are Iberians.

>Ireland has remained more or less genetically unchanged since its first human settlement.
Nope

memes

Different phenotypes in Ireland don't really mark any distinct populations. There is a common meme here that Protestants have bigger noses or that one sects eyes are too far apart/close together, but it's mostly banter.

Ireland has been fairly genetically stable for a long time. mt-DNA mostly dates from an influx of neolithic farmers all across Europe, with a mix of earlier hunter-gatherers and later Bronze Age inwanderings. Y-DNA is overwhelmingly linked with Bronze Age influxes which probably mark the arrival of Indo-European speakers. There hasn't been any significant change since then.

Phenotypic diversity is probably bigger in Ireland than most European countries, but it is spread fairly evenly across populations, and usually such diversity can be found within families. It is not uncommon to have a family where the siblings have different coloured hair and eyes.

>Ireland has remained more or less generically unchanged since its first human settlement.

And how exactly did they avoid getting mixed like the rest of Great Britain?

They didn't.

>2000, 2000, 1998, 1989
Lmao

Try something from this decade

pnas.org/content/113/2/368.abstract

>Modern Europe has been shaped by two episodes in prehistory, the advent of agriculture and later metallurgy. These innovations brought not only massive cultural change but also, in certain parts of the continent, a change in genetic structure. The manner in which these transitions affected the islands of Ireland and Britain on the northwestern edge of the continent remains the subject of debate. The first ancient whole genomes from Ireland, including two at high coverage, demonstrate that large-scale genetic shifts accompanied both transitions.

It's almost like there are ethnic groups whose members don't all look the same. Fascinating.

You can see the influence of Germanic migration and Norse migrations on the British isles through light hair.

And yes genetically they are the same people but the influence has changed the common phenotypes as you can see the Celtic strongholds are much darker. Its not 0% so their would be variation and blonde Celts but the Norse and Germanic peoples, blonde was default.

>And how exactly did they avoid getting mixed like the rest of Great Britain?
Scotland and Wales aren't that mixed either.

Viking settlement was extremely limited compared to England, and was mostly confined to trading towns with little agricultural settlement. No Anglo-Saxon invasion, and the Norman invasion was limited to military men and adventurers who didn't try to settle their own people.

Throughout the periods of English rule Ireland was an awful shithole that was unattractive to settlers. The Crown tried to establish plantations, the first two of which failed. The Ulster plantation was a success, but in genetic terms didn't change things too much because intermarriage was (still is) uncommon, and the settlers were from western Scotland, which is only couple of miles from Ulster and genetically very similar.

The Cromwellian plantations probably had the biggest effect, creating the "protestant ascendancy", but again there wasn't much intermarriage and much of this class left after independence.

Recent economic migration in the last like twenty years has probably had as much of an effect as all the years of colonisation.

>genetically they are the same people
No they aren't, see . Studies that suggest Ireland has remained genetically unchanged since first human settlement are as bad as studies that refute the out of Africa theory when it comes to their credibility. Modern genetic research has thrown those kinds of ideas out the window.

You're right about Wales, but Scotland is quite mixed (or at least the Scottish Lowlands are).

>same people
>No they aren't

so by your logic if wanted to find the closest relative to a bronze age bog body found in Ireland i should look in china and not in Ireland?

That's perhaps the biggest strawman I've ever seen on this website, congratulations.

wow, you mean like Americans?
Race is still valid.

yeah, fucking idiot. That bronze age Tocharian is actually more closely related to bog man than modern ancestors because the two shared a more recent ancestor. Sub 1000 years in the case of the bronze age people compared with around 2500 years for moderns.

>the other looks almost Mediterranean
It's just the mouth looking bigger due to whatever he's trying to screech and the odd beardstyle choice (like straight out the middle east). Look at the hands, he's literally the same skintone as the girl.
Also mediterranean is a shit way to categorize people and you should feel ashamed for using it, you brainlet.

Just like English and Scots?

Neo-lithic Iberian migration into the island. The same Atlanto-Mediterranean phenotype is apparent in England too.

>Scotland and Wales aren't that mixed either
Wales isn't, but Scotland? Are you kidding?
The people of the South are basically English. The people of Orkney and Shetland have a great amount of Norse ancestry, and the people of the West and the Isles are Irish/Pict hybrids.

The girl is wearing faketan

From the left:
1. Keltic Nordic, mixed Indo-European ad Bell-Beaker phenotype
2. Atlanto-Brunn, mixed ENF and WHG phenotype
3. Atlanto-Med, fully ENF phenotype

They could all pass as British or French though.

>mixed Indo-European and Bell-Beaker phenotype
Bell Beaker was Indo-European, tard.

You've obviously never been to France. And no, looking at a few racial plates on The Apricity doesn't count.

So is the guy, that's why I told you to watch the clearly lighter hands.

Except they could all pass in France.

Not fully IE. They had extremely diffrent look from for an example the Corded Ware people. They were most likely ethnically and racially varied with high Dinaric influence, and some Nordic minority.
Why couldn't they pass in Frace?

"Pass" is a ridiculously broad word. Do you mean that they could look like typical Frenchmen and wouldn't stand out in a French crowd, or do you mean that they wouldn't be questioned if they told you that they were ethnically French? If it's the latter then maybe they could "pass", but if it's the former then no way. They look very, very un-French.

>Not fully IE.
Fuck off brainlet, Indo-European is not a phenotype, it is a language family. Bell Beaker was as Indo-European as Corded Ware.

>Do you mean that they could look like typical Frenchmen and wouldn't stand out in a French crowd, or do you mean that they wouldn't be questioned if they told you that they were ethnically French?
What's the diffrence? And in what dimension do they look un-French?
This language family didn't appear from nowhere, it was brought by the Indo-European Nordics, who were a minority in the BBC.

>This language family didn't appear from nowhere, it was brought by the Indo-European Nordics, who were a minority in the BBC.
That's irrelevant. If you want to say that Bell Beaker wasn't fully Nordic, go ahead. But do not say that Bell Beaker wasn't fully Indo-European, because it by definition was.

>If you want to say that Bell Beaker wasn't fully Nordic, go ahead. But do not say that Bell Beaker wasn't fully Indo-European
We have no proof for that. They had some R1b but that's not a proof they were also IE speakers. Also there is no any Bell-Beaker language alive nowadays, the Celtic languages come from Unetice, not the BBC.

>What's the diffrence?
If you saw a blonde haired, blue eyed, pale skinned individual in Greece, he would stand out from everyone else significantly, and you would never think that he was Greek. So by the first definition I used, he would by no means pass as a Greek.

You then ask this individual where he is from. He says he is Greek, and speaks to you in fluent Greek. You'd believe him, despite thinking previously that he was definitely not Greek. The same cannot be said for say, an African or a Chinaman. So by the second definition I used, he would pass as a Greek.

The same applies to those three Irish individuals.

>If you saw a blonde haired, blue eyed, pale skinned individual in Greece, he would stand out from everyone else significantly, and you would never think that he was Greek. So by the first definition I used, he would by no means pass as a Greek.
Depends on futher features. There are some Nordic Greeks who don't look Scandinavian or Slavic at all. They look clearly Greek-Balkanite.

>We have no proof for that.
Yes we do. They were distinctly Indo-European culturally (excluding the Iberian-derived BB groups) and the Italic, Celtic and Germanic language familes are derived from Bell Beaker. And Unetice was derived from Bell Beaker, by the way.

Whatever, my point remains.

>Yes we do. They were distinctly Indo-European culturally (excluding the Iberian-derived BB groups)
To some part. And that's still not a proof they spoke IE. They might have even been not a one tribal group but a trade phenomenon of both IE and Vasconic (and other) people.
>Italic, Celtic and Germanic language familes are derived from Bell Beaker
Not really.
>And Unetice was derived from Bell Beaker, by the way.
Only it's far eastern part with higher IE influence. This is why the Unetice-Hallstatt people were Nordics, and Bell Beakers "proper" were Dinaric brachycephals.

I don't understand what was even your "point". A Nordic Greek wouldn't be non-Greek looking unless he doesn't have a non-Greek heritage.

>They might have even been not a one tribal group but a trade phenomenon of both IE and Vasconic (and other) people.
It's already established that this is true. But the distinctions between groups were clearly defined genetically and culturally and we that clearly Indo-European BB groups existed.

>And that's still not a proof they spoke IE.
Combining the aforementioned factors with culturally continuity through to the likes of Halstatt culture, we can be sure.

>Not really.
Yes, really.

>Only it's far eastern part with higher IE influence.
Unetice was derived from Bell Beaker.

>This is why the Unetice-Hallstatt people were Nordics, and Bell Beakers "proper" were Dinaric brachycephals.
I'm really not interested in this kind of information, please leave it out in further replies to me. I base my conclusions off linguistic, archaeological, genetic, cultural and historical evidence, not skull shapes and hair colour.

FFS it was just an example, stop looking into it so deeply. If you can't see what I'm getting at you're either autistic or retarded.

The ginger individual in the OP image does not look like a typical Frenchman at all, and if you saw him in a street in France you would assume he is a tourist or an immigrant. If he then told you he was actually French, you'd probably believe him. Jesus.

*and we know that

>It's already established that this is true. But the distinctions between groups were clearly defined genetically and culturally and we that clearly Indo-European BB groups existed.
I'm not denying it. There were Nordic beakers too, but tgey were a minority, As I said, BBC was mixed.
>Unetice was derived from Bell Beaker.
One Bell Beaker can be not equal to the other Bell-Beaker. The ones from the Uetice were more IE than the ones from France or Iberia.
>The ginger individual in the OP image does not look like a typical Frenchman at all, and if you saw him in a street in France you would assume he is a tourist or an immigrant.
He looks like a more Gaulish-looking French, IMO could pass.

>One Bell Beaker can be not equal to the other Bell-Beaker. The ones from the Uetice were more IE than the ones from France or Iberia.
True, but ultimately Unetice is still derived from Bell Beaker.

>He looks like a more Gaulish-looking French, IMO could pass.
I respect your opinion, but honestly I don't think he could.

>brown hair = med
For fuck's sake.

>True, but ultimately Unetice is still derived from Bell Beaker.
Maybe, but the Unetices looked somewhat like pic rel because of their mostly IE blood.

While the Beakers proper looked more like this. Short headed, big nosed, generally Dinaroid preindoeuropean looking.

But Unetice is still derived from Bell Beaker, phenotype aside.

What is even your point? It yes, but it's meaningless because bell-beaker is not even an ethnic cathegory.

>Unetice-Hallstatt people were Nordics, and Bell Beakers "proper" were Dinaric brachycephals.

Indo-R1bean BBs were swarthy R1b-P312 brachycephalic men, Nordic are pre-IE people characterized by N & I haplogroups.

My point is that the Italic, Celtic and Germanic language families derive from Bell Beaker, which you denied here

Very few Irish people actually have red hair.

frenchie.png

The native Britons were celtic and cousins of the Gauls. There were some celtic tribes who were closer related to the Iberians than the Gauls but they were mainly the ones living in the west country and Wales.

polack.png

Swedish Hunter Gatherer were lighter than Yamnaya

N haplogroup is not Pre-IE, it's Post-IE, also I people were CM not Nordics like R1.

And Bell-Beakers looked like this Englishman

The Germanics and Vikings were mainly a ruling class, there wasn't a replacement of the original population.

>The Germanics and Vikings were mainly a ruling class
kek

And so what? Yamaya were not even PIEs.

Influence of Spaniards in 16-17 centuries. Such as Catholicism.

ginger is recessive

> haplogroup is not Pre-IE, it's Post-IE
My mistake

>CM not Nordics like R1
Then explain why R1b people from both Afanasievo and Yamnaya were brown haired + brown eyed while Pre-IE had both the mutation for blue eyes(La Branna) and light-skin(inherited from Anatolians btw)

You claimed that Pre-IEs were darker than "Nordic" IEs and that they corrupted R1b IEs, there can be no "corruption" if the Pre-IEs were lighter than the IEs.

>blue eyed
OK, so Afanasievo were Nordic admixed, but more mongrelized than the Cordeds.
>Then explain why R1b people from both Afanasievo and Yamnaya were brown haired + brown eyed
Race-mixed with Armenoids and Alpines (Yamna), and Mongoloids (Afanasievo).

>there can be no "corruption" if the Pre-IEs were lighter than the IEs.
They mostly weren't.

You are making so much sense.

I wouldn't be relying on sources about genetics that are almost 20-years old.

>and Mongoloids (Afanasievo).

To the far right of my pic there is an admixture analysis Afanasievo are 96-99% European, only the Yamnaya-related guy is 85% European 10% African 5% Asian

>Yamnaya-related guy is 85% European 10% African 5% Asian
Source?

Peuplement du sud de la Sibérie et de l'Altaï à l'âge du Bronze : apport de la paléogénétique
It's a thesis in French dating back to 2014, the author doesn't say "admixture" but "biogeographical origin"

tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01296484/document

biogeographical origin is a PC word for race btw

Not saying much, it's a rare trait all over the world.

Relatively more common in Ireland, trust me.

You're talking out of your ass mate most modern towns were founded by English and continental settlers brought in by the Normans. This goes for all three of the Celtic nations of the British isles. Scotland already had a lot of Anglo Saxons in the lowlands too!