Can you build "grit" by building muscle? No phony tough guy shit. I'm talking true grit

Can you build "grit" by building muscle? No phony tough guy shit. I'm talking true grit.

Britbongs gtfo.

Sure man.

Other things that build grit:
Muay Thai

Define Grit man?
Do you mean grit as in mental fortitude?

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, grit in the context of behavior is defined as “firmness of character; indomitable spirit.” Duckworth, based on her studies, tweaked this definition to be “perseverance and passion for long-term goals.

I've been lifting for years, and while I can safely say my sense of confidence has strengthened I've yet to find an opportunity to test my real world resolve beyond the extent of first year problems.

Overcoming heavy ass weight? Ain't nothin but a peanut. But how do you become a badass like the characters portrayed by Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, or those in Tarantino films?

*first world problems

My mistake

My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because your post gave me cancer anyway.

Eat shit and die then, you waste of my God damned time.

Anyone else want to be a non-contributing copypasta posting piece of shit? Seek your attention elsewhere.

Grit can be accuired through testing your metal as they say.
My alcoholic dad come home from vietnam and started a family it was hell and i survived...gave me perspective of what i could endure and overcome.
Then i went off into the world became a hard core drug addict...and survived that shit.
All the while ive always been a hard worker and into skateboarding rock climbing surfing snowboarding sport fucking and fighting.
Grit is a frame of mind when the body wants to quit the mind can over ride that and keep qoing

You know there is another tier of grit tho right. Do you have that?

Do intense stuff outside, like backpacking, week-long raft trips and sailing. Eventually things will go tits-up and you'll have nobody to get you out of it but yourself and you'll have to endure serious uncertainty and discomfort.

Play manly sports with manly men like football and rugby where you'll have to push through issues to have your teammates' backs.

Involve yourself in anything competitive and refuse to lose. This can even mean being pre-med in college and studying until your eyeballs burn.

T B H I see a lot of rich kids with more grit than middle class and poor kids because they have the resources to do things outside of their work/school/entertainment bubbles. Third world poor has that kind of grit but that's rare in the US. By contrast, self-made rich men tend to have a lot of grit because they've been competing hard for years.

Ive lived a dozen lives and im multifaceted. What tier do you mean?

The tier of toughness beyond simple biology.
Imagine having your brain bashed in with a hammer. Some of your faculties of thought are completely shut down. Your conciousness is now only an awareness of chaos, a complete breaking down of reality, pain and suffering beyond comprehension.
Can you be ok with that? Can you be ok with literally anything? Could you burn in hell?

Yes ive been in fights of 5 guys using my head like a soccer ball and punching bag both orbital sockets broken i was knocked down and kept getting back up or i probably wouldnt be here...the most long lasting damage is boxers break to my right hand. Suffering i was an iv speed freak for over a decade. The decent into drug addiction is often referred to hell ive been clean over 10 years now. And yes im ok with anything ive taken enough lsd trips to be ok with hell of chaos of whatever life hands me...

Define it

Good. It sucks having to feel bad for weak people.
Cheers, enjoy life.

Adversity and repeated failure

Do really hard stuff

Thanks man.
My motto is there aint no quit in this bulldog

Read the thread.

Where you from? Tennessee here.

>my motto

tip kok

Nw seattle area
Always had pitbulls since a baby
Never one to start a fight but im not one to back down from one

I did work in memphis last summer installation of a cemetary

I'm not OP but I don't feel like a man. I'm 26 and I don't have shit to show for myself. I was never taught self-discipline or responsibility as a younger kid and I was able to kind of run wild.

How the fuck do I teach myself discipline this late into my life? I realize that my life is not over, and I'm still somewhat young, but I don't know what the fuck to do. I feel like a lost cause. I'm not ugly or foreveralone, I can still talk women into coming to my place and fucking. But I don't feel like a man. I don't feel like I provide value.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

A mentor told me to build self esteem id have to do esteemable deeds. To help others even when no benefit would come to me. But also to only help those that are unable to help themselves. Not to help those that are unwilling.
Thers a fine line between help and enabling

This.

Bumping for answers.

>Pssh, lifting? Lifting is for douchebag bros. A real man cultivates inner strength. Wanna know how? Cold. Showers.

>Can you build "grit" by building muscle? No phony tough guy shit. I'm talking true grit.

Well you certainly can't build it by shitposting memes on a yellow bastard kite flying pseudosite.

according to this definition lifting made me "gritty"

as in I value my opinion over others but accept criticism as food for thought

>fedora109.jpg
>fedora8.jpg
Lord help us

no

ask anyone who's seen combat if they think you have grit because you lift heavy

I don't care how intimidating I ever look or feel, I'll always be a bitch compared to my grandpa and dad who literally saw their friends get shot, destroyed by mortars or grenades, etc.

life is fucking easy

Not saying anything about your father and grandfather, but a lot of combat veterans lose their emotional resilience rather than growing it. People are different that way.

Put yourself through do or die situations and not die.

The wiki article for "grit" is pretty interesting, it's not as blaha-tier cringe as you fedorae are thinking. It's a rich field of study.

All it is is "a passion for long-term goals." It's strongly correlated with conscientiousness, i.e.. being thorough and careful, and with a strong need for achievement.

Changing your personality is hard, but good news- the change from adolescence to adulthood is usually marked by an increase in conscientiousness.