Hypothetically, if eth flips btc, what happens next?

hypothetically, if eth flips btc, what happens next?

Pink wojacks from people missing the most obvious trading entry point in months.

Vitalik will reveal his real identity, satoshi nakamoto

ETH becomes gateway of fiat into crypto.

This is not necessarily true since BTC might still maintain the first mover advantage and its "brand" name is still far more popular to the general public (you hear people say bitcoin, not cryptocurrencies).

Still if ETH market cap were to surpass BTC people might start to realize that the BTC blockchain is a little clunky and outdated compared to other projects (slow txns and txn cost is somewhat high) BTC is trying to stay competitive with its Segwit2x BIP, but who knows.

That is to say ETH is still not ready to sustain visa level txn, BTC is not ready either thus a slow and steady adoption might be better. One coin eating the other might be counterproductive for the market as a whole.

Sure some blockchain projects might solve the scalability issue plus ETH has some patches coming in. Still I honestly just hope blockchain and crypto in general somehow manages to outplay traditional financial tools, yet I digress...

I'd buy 100k of that

ETH network becomes clogged again, and they have to fork into some new shit called Ethereum Cash.

what scalability issues? you're thinking about bitcoin. other coins have no problem scaling.

for example, once 100m tokens are printed, something called "casper" triggers on eth that causes the algorithm to switch to proof of stake which allows visa level transactions.

all the "problems with crypto" are just problems with bitcoin that most other coins don't have.

You wake up and realise you've overslept and are late for class.

also, regarding segwit2x, most people here are vastly misinformed. it's a separate coin which coinbase plans to list as btc1 (coinbase was part of the new york agreement to fork).

segwit2x is also being heavily attacked on r/bitcoin as basically scam.

That's because it is a scam. It is a closed fork project dictated by Jeff (or whoever's paying him) and defended by sockpuppets and illiterate idiots who supposedly don't even care as they have BCH which is le true bitcoin as per Satoshi's Vision™.

Maybe I don't fully grasp the whole Segwit2x dispute. To my understanding BCH uses 2Mb blocks as opposed to 1MB blocks (the 2x part in Segwit2x) and I believe BTC is already running on Segwit so isn't the BTC community attempting to add the 2MB to the main BTC chain? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for scalability I'm not aware of the technical side, I still do think (emphasis on the think part not a hard fact there) that the servers or the nodes, not sure what to call them are far too few to run 40,000 txn per second that visa manages. I think eth has like 50txn per second at the moment and it still takes like 30min to confirm.

bro there's like 4 different bitcoin forks competing right now. there's even a bitcoin gold. you're out of the loop. BCH has something like 8mb i think without segwit. segwit2x is 2mb with segwit.

not going to argue for or against it. just pointing out it's a different coin. also, the hash rate isn't 92.4% even though that many are signaling. many, such as f2 pool, are signaling but don't plan to switch (basically because it's a pain in the ass to toggle the signal and they only wanted segwit, not 2x).

and further, many just want the fork to happen to get free btc1 to dump, then will continue to support btc.

however, again! not supporting btc or btc1, just facts. i'm 100% in eth... but eth follows btcs price so it matters to me indirectly.

Thanks for your patience. I need to do some more research.

Guys, really why hasn't ETH recovered? Have people given up on it? NEO feels more like it has the chance to take ETH's place than the flippening happening

we both know that's not happening.

as for eth recovering, it makes no sense to me either.

Wow dude you need to brush up on your fundamentals. More servers/nodes won’t add anything to how many transactions per second a blockchain can perform. This is because every block has to be confirmed with every node. Blocks on bitcoin are always about 1 every 10-15mins. This is what the difficulty adjusts to. With a 1mb block limit this amounts to about 3 transactions a second. Segwit pretty much doubles this to about 5 or 6, which is the same as ETH’s maximum. You can get a confirmation pretty quick on ETH if you pay a high enough fee, the same as BTC. This can be as short as a few seconds to as long as a few minutes normally. But this is definitely quicker than 30mins.

>hypothetically, if eth flips btc, what happens next?

have you been paying attention ? this is so far from happening its not funny

Yeah but doesn't look good for ETH. The next big BTC dip, it's highly likely ETH will follow as it usually does...

> muh flippening
> btc goes up, eth sideways or goes down
> btc goes down, eth crashes

this

i think its the koreans dumping eth and its tokens for btc

This is completely wrong. ETH has the same problems scaling as does BTC. Casper doesn’t solve the issue and hasn’t even been developed yet. It is a stepping stone albeit only a small one. All Casper does is switch the protocol from proof of work to proof of stake, which is largely to make the ecosystem more eco friendly. Scalability solutions are: raiden (payment channels), plasma (smaller block chains which only come to the main ETH blockchain when there’s a dispute) and sharding (not every node has to confirm every transaction). All of these will increase the capacity of the networks a bit, and it’s hoped that by implementing all of them plus more that we will be able to compete with traditional payment processors.

ya VB said visa speed transactions are 2 yrs away