Which are the choicest parts of Dutch history?

Which are the choicest parts of Dutch history?

Jan van Speijk, national hero.

French living in belgium here, I can confirm everything about belgium on that pic

>45
what a coincidence

>small country with relatively homogeneous geography and culture
>still has a gorrillion regional stereotypes

That's a bit surprising, really.

Honestly the biggest cultural divide is between the people above and under the river maas. There isn't much difference within these groups themselves.
Also brabant is objectively the best place to live.

1815-1839, Golden Age of our blessed kingdom followed by the Liberal Betrayal of 1830.

Gas the Southerners long live William I.

I cant understand people from Limburg and Frisia.

Twente/Achterhoek and Brabant is barely intelligible

Sorry if this is a brainlet answer but wouldn't the period of dominance (1700's) be the most interesting?

The majority of Euro countries are like this, History all over from the pre-roman times until now, easy to form sterotypes. Heck, in Spain you have old rivalries between cities or towns than come from the Iberians.

Hooks and Cods

If you actually want to better understand Dutch identity and the formation of the Netherlands just read about the Eighty Years War/Dutch Revolt and the causes leading to it.

Frisians were pretty cool, they turned the North Sea into a viable trading zone, founded cities and facilitated the colonization of England.

>That's a bit surprising, really.
Only because you're an American.

this

my country has some 4 million people, we divide ourselves into some 15+ subgroups based on local culture, dialect and mentality, and then each of those divides itself further, and every major city is like that too, a culturaly and linguisticaly idiosincratic subgroup, and then that has subgroups too, and some are more different from each other than the whole nation is different from our neighbours, kajkavian is practicaly a different language from čakavian for example, but then it itself has subdivisions that sound nothing like it, and some cities and regions basicaly hate each other and on some footbal matches theres more police than paying atendants, since often theres realistic concern about outbreaks of organised violence during or after the match, its like a thing, people work out animosity trough footbal club rivarlies, while in rural areas its more about barfights

its fascinating we even have a national identity realy, ethnicaly were a bunch of tribes each adapted to its own enviroment and historical conditions, and the stereotypes are mostly true

the fun part is that the animosity isnt based on stereotypes or historical stuff, its that some mentalities literaly clash, as in the ways of thinking and doing things,

During the Gelran wars the Duke of Gelre started the Dutch tradition of resisting the Habsburgers. It was a losing battle but the Duke had some of the most badass people in the History of the Netherlands as mercs. Marten van Rossum (pic related) was a seriously fucked up guy, he was a siege expert a pyromaniac a plunder addict, but also a great architect and patron of the arts and sciences. And Grutte Pier a Frisian giant who once came home to find his village plundered by mercs, he then raised his own elite mercenary company to get revenge, he personally went into battle with a sword the size of a grown men.

>čakavian.
Sound island Croats to me.
Also I love those kinds of regional differences, what are they in Croatia?

>the choicest parts
Flanders(not pictured), anything north of it is basically a much shittier version of it.

Are you salty bacause you lack any other spices?

Salty about what? How easy it was to gain independance?

Gaining independence is always the easy part mate it's what you do with it that counts.

I'm Romanian but whatever.
The point was that Holland is small and doesn't have a few dozen tall mountain ranges dividing it. Neither does it have regions that were part of a dozen different empires at some point.
It's also very urbanized and developed, so yes having this many regional stereotypes is surprising.

You mean like being the 2nd country in the world to go through the industrial revolution and becoming one of the world's biggest industrial and trading powers despite its small size? I'd say that counts.

>being a British vassal and getting their tech scraps.
>being proud of it.

I think that comes from the Netherlands not being a real centralized nation for quite some time
Many other countries have a large capital city with other cities being a lot smaller
The Netherlands has a lot of cities similar in size which competed which each other, which led to the rivalries and stereotypes
Also in the old days every city, town or shithole had their own dialect which was almost unintelligible from the one of next town over

>small country with relatively homogeneous geography and culture
>still has a gorrillion regional stereotypes
To be honest it has had historical divides (spanish and free netherlands, for example), and it's always been a confederation

Mooooghuuu, plukkie all?

I'd say the most interesting part of Dutch history is their war with the Spanish oppressors wherein they beat Spain and forced them to leave