Bench 225 for 5 reps

>bench 225 for 5 reps
>pecs still small

I fell for the strength gives you size meme

So, what should I do? 3x8?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0531556513002738
jap.physiology.org/content/jap/113/1/71.full.pdf?sid=ad98423b-d2a9-4baf-948b-602a5881de1b
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25303171
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

3x8 = 24
5x5 = 25

never gonna make it bro

lmao

8x112 triangle scheme until failure breh

A variety of set and rep ranges, try dumbbells, etc. Learn the principles of hypertrophy training and find what works for you, don't just expect to find a magic bullet rep number.

I'm doing 5/3/1 and on my The Press day I do 5x10 dumbbell bench. It's working well for me so far, but see above.

Gotta confuse your muscles bro switch it up

>Strength doesn't give you size
Try 225 for 3x10 reps and see if you're still dyel.

You bench powerlifting style, don't you?

Learn to work the muscle instead of training the lift. Focus on contracting your pecs and see if the bar lifts. Also try dumbbells and increasing the volume.

I only bench press and my pecs grew to a decent size.

The truth is there is no secret specific workout or routine to make them grow.

It just takes time. Your chest will be really nice eventually if you're really doing 225 for 5.

breh blame genetics
some studies have shown hypertrophy is no different at 3-5 rep range compared to 5-8
i bench 110lb dumbbells for 10 rep sets (i think my bb is about 255x10?? but i rarely do bb)
im 5'10, 160lbs and my pecs honestly dont look like i can lift that much. i outlift plenty of guys with bigger pecs

225 for 5 is not strong. Try get to 315+ for 5 and then tell me you have a small chest.

>falling for the strength = hypertrophy meme

You have to realise 225 is not that heavy.

if all you want is size, it doesn't matter how heavy you lift, as long as you lift to failure every set and do enough sets (3-4)

sources
>sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0531556513002738

i have another but it thinks the link is spam so it wont let me post

Its heavier than most people and OP is probably estating his bench is realistically 205

Dips

You're vastly overstating what that study actually says.

For most people but not for people who actually go to the gym.

Most people also bench with crazy inefficient form. That can make a hell of a difference in terms of size and transferable strength.

most people at the gym bench like 185 you are too deep into /fit 90% of the people here are estating or using the 1rm as their working sets

> High- & low-resistance exercise until muscle failure equally induce hypertrophy.

what did i mistate?

see also:
jap.physiology.org/content/jap/113/1/71.full.pdf?sid=ad98423b-d2a9-4baf-948b-602a5881de1b

No at my gym there are lots of powerlifters. Only people who don't train a lot of bench use less weight.

ok well most people bench like 185 you must go to a sick hardcore gym but like almost everyone doesn't bench 2 plates for reps

In a single study of highly detrained elderly lifters over a relatively short period, and you dropped a fairly important 'may' from their conclusion.

No I just live in a small place.

ok then

Maybe you should actually get strong. 225x5 is not in any realm impressive

>225
>strength
It's a good thing I wanted to hear a joke.

my quote is literally copy and pasted from the article.

that study was done on untrained elderly. the other i linked was done on 21 year old men and plenty of others show the same conclusions on trained individuals, like:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25303171

......10 rep sets... wut

I have been going to my uni gym for 4 years and I have maybe seen 3 person bench more than 2pl8 and those that do look decent. You must be doing something wrong

Pecs are overrated Brah only guys care about pec size
Also your prob suffering from body dismorphia

Pecs are overrated.
The only people caring about big pecs are gay men who are not actually gay, because they remind them of tits.

Change your form dummy

Most people who think they have a small chest have the gorilla chest thing with rolled shoulders, this really makes your chest look small. Try pulling them back and look again

The bench press isn't good for pecs. Your triceps gets tired way before your chesticles does. Just add 1 chest isolation th your bench day and you will be good. Like standing cable flyes.

And the best bench press variation for pecs are decline bench.
Just look at the orientation of the pec fibres, attachment of tendons and action of your pecs, and you will quickly see which exercises are good for the pecs.

> Closing in on 225 bench
> Think its a massive achievement
> Come to Veeky Forums
> Everybody achieved that in their first week of training

its like a basic push up breh

Veeky Forums is ridiculous about this, 225 is impressive. At my gym I know of 6 guys who can hit that for reps, and all of those guys are huge and basically at the gym all day.

Strength does = Size, it's not a meme, the poster was trying to tell you it is based upon genetics, which it is.

Also it does not mean you have bad chest genetics. It could mean on bench you are primarily using your arms or shoulders (this happens when a person is limb dominant over torso dominant) In this case, try isolating chest more. I would recommend pause and hold repns on bench, pec dec, and dumbells.

r u new here

no

thats because most people on here weigh 225lbs with over 20%+ bodyfat

Well, 225 is weak was fuck, you really can't expect to have anything impressive of a chest at that weight.

Work your way to 150kg for reps and then come back.

Technically by doing 8 reps per set, he's overloading by approx. 1,800kg whereas doing 5 reps per set, it's only 1,125kg

>he thinks 2plate is strong

>Strength does = Size

No, just no. There's a reason natty powerlifters don't look like they lift, and it's not muh genetics.

its taken me four years to bench 175x2 ... don't worry brah. anybody that tells you that BS doesnt even lift, real shit.

Virtus looks like he lifts.

Norsie has insane muscle mass and so does Phil.
Basically any trip other than the ultra twink a of plg have tons of mass. Even under all that fat one can see it.

>Well, 225 is weak was fuck, you really can't expect to have anything impressive of a chest at that weight.
Bench press isn't good for building pecs unless you`re barrel chested.
Just add some isolations and it will fix the problem.
225 isnt the biggest achievement, but its not weak as fuck. Don't push your standards on other people. Just because you're stronger with different goals.

Just because a few people isnt huge doesnt mean it applies to everyone.
People are different. If you're worried about size; just add an extra set with more volume, and it should be enough.

this
>mfw didn't see chest gains until cross over pulls and dumbbell chest press

I'm not pressing anything on anyone. He said "strong" and objectively, it isn't.

Has nothing to do with what I do.

Do your reps to a 3 count both up and down, add in a 1 second pause at the bottom too.

top kek m8
Let me show you why thats bullshit

I assume you know about the concept of tonnage, if not, you're dumb and need to read practical programming
>inb4 faggetoe meme, SS may not be the ultimate aesthetics program, but for Strength and size it works extremely well

So let's look at tonnage for a 5x5 workout:
225 x 5 x 5 = 5625 (pounds)
If you can bench 225 for 5, you should be able to bench 205 for 8, so:
205 x 3 x 8 = 4920 (pounds)
I think we all can agree that volume (and thus, tonnage/workload per workout) drives the bench up (which is why the Texas method works so well if you can sustain the required "anabolic environment" for it). We can see that the tonnage of the 5x5 workout is higher than the tonnage of the 3x8 workout. This difference only gets bigger over time.

So we can conclude that you wouldn't be "overloading" on a 3x8 workout in comparison to 5x5

I bet you all haven't even run SS properly you weakfags

True, but TM is shit for bench lad.

Way too little volume.

Pounds?

You know this board's been overrun by dyels when people think 225x5 is a great bench
I mean i know it's a good milestone to achieve, but you've got a long way to progress m8

Nigga get to atleast 280x5-6 (with full rom and good form while keeping bf% in check) and see for yourself

>objectively
you know that word makes no sense when talking about this, right?
if we were comparing to an average of everybody in the world, most people can't bench 225 for 5 reps, so it is strong
it's about comparison, you don't get to establish the official limit between strong and weak, soplapollas

>Bench 225 for a single set of 5
>Strong

Pick one. Get your bench up to tree fiddy and see how your pecs look.

>1x100 reps is the same as 4x25 reps
Wow.

>thinking he was serious

focus less on flat bench and more on inclines. presses and flies.

honestly? I do 245 for reps and I'm not the least bit impressive.

I put up 365 3x5, not impressive either

You're forever not impressive

Your goal always go up, so whatever you do is not impressive

If you do it, its not impressive

When I started and got to 1pl8, I thought that was strong cause of how long it took to get there. Years later I'm closing in on 3pl8 1rm and even I don't think its really impressive since I don't weigh 155lbs. I won't consider myself strong till I can 1rm 2x bw (4pl8)
My goals always increase and I still think I'm weak. Once you start lifting, you'll never be satisfied with what you can put up. Just keep going

If I bench every workout day like in SS, would I get a bigger chest?