Long shot and I know this isn't "health and fitness" anymore but I don't know where else to ask

Long shot and I know this isn't "health and fitness" anymore but I don't know where else to ask

Has anyone here had brain surgery or brain injury? If yes do you notice any cognitive or memory deficits?
I had surgery last July and although thing are getting better I still notice a slight deficit in my working memory. I finished my undergrad before my surgery and I want to go to law school or do a master's but this deficit is concerning. Does the brain ever fully recover or reorganize to warlike before surgery or injury? My surgeon said my condition after a year will be indicative of the long term, and it's been almost 10 months now.
Will it get better? Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

cups.cs.cmu.edu/rshay/cv
youtube.com/watch?v=pxru8H6XbR4
youtube.com/watch?v=fTs0naklQJY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have the autismo

I had surgery to cure epilepsy. They removed a tumour on my right temporal lobe

i have no idea, and so do most here.
I would jst wait 2 months, or get some professional advice

OP listen to this guy.

That's crazy. I hope you get better man. Also did they have to cut your skull from the side? That's the worst spot to hide scars. Atleast in the back or top you can hide your scars with longer hair length. Not many guys would grow their hair long at the sides

Shhhhhiiiiiit that scar looks hardcore as fuck. 10/10 pussy magnet that's for sure.

Did they just open your head up like a melon? Holy fuck dude.

>although thing are getting better I still notice a slight deficit in my working memory
Tell us a bit more about that. I have pretty horrible ADHD, maybe I recognize shit from my experiences.

My friend had brain surgery at 17, right before he was admitted to Brown. He went on to graduate Magna Cum Laude after double majoring in Computer Science and Classics. From there, he got a MS in Comp Sci. from Purdue and then another MS and finally a PhD from Carnegie-Mellon University. Now he does post-doc work at MIT and is one of the foremost experts in the world on passwords and computer security. You can read his research papers here, just to see I'm not making this up: cups.cs.cmu.edu/rshay/cv

So there you have it: anecdotal evidence that it is possible to have brain surgery and still be brilliant and very successful afterwards. Of course, it's conceivable that he would have been even more brilliant had he not had a surgery on his brain but he's still pretty sharp. Also, it's not like brain surgery is a singular procedure for a universal problem. But the thing I'd like you to take from this is that it's hardly a death sentence or major handicap in many cases.

See also: A Stanford professor discusses the brain and how its structure can change just by doing math problems for three weeks. Seriously, watch this shit. It'll blow your mind, user.

Look at 2:30 of the first vid for an example of a girl who had half of her brain removed and then regrew tissue and developed functions she had lost.

youtube.com/watch?v=pxru8H6XbR4

And she flat out says "Your brain will grow when you make mistakes" in this vid.

youtube.com/watch?v=fTs0naklQJY

Interesting and very encouraging stuff, to say the least.

You can only slightly see the scar behind my ear
This pic from right now

>Tell us a bit more about that. I have pretty horrible ADHD, maybe I recognize shit from my experiences.
I'll explain best I can
I find it difficult to learn something from one task and then immediately apply it to another task.
Example, on the weekend I did an escape room challenge with friends this weekend
We were tasked in solving a series of puzzles where information gathered in the first puzzle is applied to the second one and so on. I had to write down everything I learned from the first puzzle or else I'd forget it when completing the second puzzle

The actual solving of the puzzle was no more difficult but it was the gathering and immediately applying information I had noticeable trouble with
Sorry if that didn't make sense

>See also: A Stanford professor discusses the brain and how its structure can change just by doing math problems for three weeks. Seriously, watch this shit. It'll blow your mind, user.
Thanks user
This actually encourages me to study the LSAT more. I was kind of discouraged because my scores slipped after my surgery but I guess the brain is like muscle and I just lost my gains

In front of ear not behind *

You should also try Veeky Forums since there are a large number of medical professionals on that board.

It sort of does makes sense. The first half. I'm familiar with the forgetting stuff part, I have that down to perfection. Like I have something in my hand, I put it down and literally 5 seconds later I had already forgotten about it. Cooking something? Hell nah. Have to set an alarm every time otherwise I'll burn the food - or the house - down.

On the plus side, this makes me pretty cheerful, since I easily forget what I was moping about, unless it is deathly serious, OMG we're gonna die type. I kinda live in lalala land in most of my time. As for applying information immediately, could you describe the puzzle? Was it math? Something else?
I don't necessarily have a problem with that. Only attention span.

>As for applying information immediately, could you describe the puzzle? Was it math? Something else?
For this particular puzzle there was a series of letters, a passport with stamps and a diary
I had to go through all that information and trace the guys trip around Europe on a map. I found it extremely taxing without writing anything down whereas other people doing similar puzzles weren't writing anything down
That's when I really noticed something up.

My physical symptoms after surgery are gone now so the cognitive and mental symptoms are really noticeable to me

I mostly just want to correspond with somebody who has had a similar experience
Doctors know what they learn from patients and studies, I'd rather talk to a similar patient

That doesn't sound too difficult, but I'm from Yurop, so for me that puzzle would be quite easy.

I'm uncertain. Could you bring up a few more examples where you had noticed a difference between your new brain and the old one?

>Could you bring up a few more examples where you had noticed a difference between your new brain and the old one?
I'm more confident down :)
But I think that has to do with not having seizures every day

But really I fatigue quicker now, and I don't dream as much. I used to dream all the time.
Other types of questions while studying LSAT, law school admissions test has logic puzzles which I'm noticeably slower on
However I can apply for special accommodations with a doctor's note to give me more time. It's still worrisome for me to notice skills drop off though

>But really I fatigue quicker now, and I don't dream as much. I used to dream all the time.
Oh, that's easy. Just say out loud "I want to remember my dreams" 10 times before going to sleep. Not just say, but also mean it. Trust me, it works. Also the opposite too, I personally have terrible nightmares and night terrors, so I told myself "i don't want to remember anything" so basically I just close my eyes and open them in the morning without much dreams in between.

>Other types of questions while studying LSAT, law school admissions test has logic puzzles which I'm noticeably slower on
I'm not familiar with those. But i agree with this user brain plasticity is real, and will help you, as long as you practice a bit. Buy maybe few puzzle books you feel are kinda difficult - but not overly so. Something fun, you'd enjoy. And spend half an hour- hour solvig those riddles each day. it'll help.

I used to study music so I can bring you this example: when we learn new songs, the first day it goes HORRIBLE. And it won't improve even if you spend 24 hours practicing. What helps is sleeping, because that's when your brain organizes the day's events. The second-third-fourth days, it becomes automatic and the song just starts..flowing. Although it depends on how hard it is, some you have to practice a LOT,and sleep on it a LOT.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Uhm, get plenty of rest, that's definitely a thing you should do. Also, don't fret. If you feel like something isn't going as well as it should: remember, everybody is like that.

I had a really bad head injury when i was 9. After i was carried home(i was completely out didnt wake up untill hours later) i eventually woke up. I had no idea what happened and didnt remember anything until the next day in the hospital.
Youd think id be autismo due my brain getting messed up at a young age but I get better grades than most of my peers now and never had any problems. Only problem is im socially retarded which probably had nothing to do with the fall anyway.

I had brain surgery. I had a benign tumor the size of an egg in my cerebral cortex when I was almost 17. brain surgery is a bitch and I'm just starting to feel back to normal almost 2 years later. I still get constant headaches and shit but It's a lot better than being six feet under. I was on 3 months bed rest pretty much and I lost a ton of weight. I put on 50 pounds over the past 2 years lifting and I look better now than I ever have.

OThanks guys

>my condition after a year will be indicative of the long term
That doesn't mean you'll be healed after a year, only that your progress should show if you're making progress that indicates normal healing, or if something went wrong. I'm sure these kinds of things can take years to heal properly. I wouldn't worry about it until you get to that bridge.

Until then, just practice memory techniques. They're different for everybody, but find out what kind of learner you are (auditory, oral, tactile, etc.) and then train. It'll get the better.

I didn't lose weight but I lost a lot of strength, I still haven't gained it back mostly due to fatigue
I was in hospital 5 days then bed at home maybe a week, after 3 weeks I was feeling more able to do stuff but I was off work for 3 months
Went back part time for 3 months and now I take Fridays off

Pic is from 3 weeks after surgery

I can't remember if I had memory deficiencies, but I feel fine.

>tactile
I learn from reading and doing I suppose, I think that's what tactile means. I am going to study more often and write practice LSATs every week. Hopefully Brain elasticity works for me

Tactile is touch, but that and doing is what I meant anyway. There are online tests, I'm sure, to figure out which ones are best for you.

How will doing LSATs help? Repetition?

Your brain is a muscle OP. Work it like you would any other muscle and don't get discouraged when the going gets tough because when the going gets tough the tough get going. You're tough, OP, you're going to do great.

I had a subachrinal brain hemerage due to impact trama. Don't drink any alcohol ever, get plenty of sleep, take liquid fish oil, run, and read lots of books. You'll do much better. Remember, no alcohol unless you want to be demented in 10 years.

I would see if your insurance will afford you a consultation with a neurologist, or similar doctor. Don't let a concern like this progress, OP. That's something you need to get ahead of asap, even if its a relatively benign thing right now.

I would say that you're most likely a-ok, but may need to practice certain things differently than you did before. The brain is like a big muscle. Gotta work it to keep it strong. Good luck, man!

>How will doing LSATs help?
The analytical reasoning questions are puzzles that require diagramming

Fuck I drink like once a week but I've already made the point to cut back a lot, like not drink to get drunk. At least for another couple years

>I would see if your insurance will afford you a consultation with a neurologist
In Canada so provincial health care covers everything
I have 2 neurologists actually, one who dealt with my epilepsy and he referred me to another one who did all the necessary tests for surgery
I see him again in July, 12 months post surgery

Too bad there aren't brain bench press or bicep curls senpai

There shouldn't be any permanent damage from surgery unless they fucked up. Perhaps this is temporary?

Did you have an injury beforehand?

Try just doing mental exercises that help with working memory

>Did you have an injury beforehand?
Well I had seizures and there was a small tumour which was removed. Apparently I had a slight deficit in spatial memory but that was based on a single test which I misunderstood so i'm not sure if that deficit was accurately diagnosed. My memory deficit now is more as I said before, task to task

So short term memory loss?

Did you use to abuse drugs?

Not to oversimplify, but did you see origins: wolverine. If the brain tissue and neural connections that held the data get fucked up, you lose that data permanently.

If just the connection is broken, your body can reform the connection and you can regain memory.

It should greatly affect new memory, so I would just move forward. If you think there are things you can't recall that are relaxant to your job or your dream of law school, then hit the books and relearn that shit. Some of it may even come back.

Had an acute hematoma almost 10 years ago now. Took about 7 years for my sense of smell to start recovering. My memory of things that happened prior to the accident is pretty hazy, and I still notice memory failing occassionally (forgetting where I put things, forgetting things I said to people, etc)

>So short term memory loss?
Not memory loss, short term memory retrieval difficulty

In 10min or 20min I'll remember everything but within 30 seconds or 2min I have difficulty, like a slow PC

I drink every other weekend but other than that no drugs anymore
I used to smoke pot before my surgery though

>It should greatly affect new memory, so I would just move forward. If you think there are things you can't recall that are relaxant to your job or your dream of law school, then hit the books and relearn that shit. Some of it may even come back.
My old memory is totally fine, it's making new short term memory
I think I just need to exercise my brain, get brain muscle memory back

Consider dumping the alcohol completely, it does no good to the brain. And yeah try to exercise your memory. There are plenty of DS games for that. I'm no doctor but maybe if you exercise it you can switch your dominant temporal lobe to the left or something.

Good luck user.

>I'm no doctor but maybe if you exercise it you can switch your dominant temporal lobe to the left or something
Well the reason I was a candidate for surgery is because my left temporal lobe was dominant. I did 3 days of neuro cognitive testing which showed I'm left brained
Not to say my right temporal lobe did nothing though

Yeah well I mean like super dominant alfa left lobule while the right is just a beta fuccboi.

Lel thanks user

Good luck user.

my mom was in a car accident in february, and went from complete vegetable mode a day after the accident, to about 90% recovered 3 weeks later -- and has plateaued since then. most of her speech and memory have recovered, but you can tell in talking to her that something is "off"

Basically it comes down to age, and actual tissue damage (in her case there wasn't much tissue damage, just swelling).

I'm 24 now, and tissue was removed
Talking with me you'd never notice anything is off, which is kind of frustrating because some people don't believe me when I say I'm having trouble with something

Will your hair ever grow back over your scar?

He already posted a pic with his hair grown out

Ah I missed that thanks