What were the most overrated and underrated civilizations of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inventions_in_the_medieval_Islamic_world#Arab_caliphates
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Most overrated
Your favourite civilization
>Most underrated
Your least favourite civilization.

>overrated
Rome
>underrated
China

>most overrated
any native American civilization (don't believe the maya or aztec LARPers)
>most underrated
Persians

>reading up on Persia
>tfw all that sophistication and organisation
>Persian road and communication system was so advanced that even Herodotus said there is nothing mortal that reaches destinations more rapidly than Persian couriers

Overrated:

Celtic, Persian, Arab, Pictish, Great Zimbabwe

Underrated:

Jiroft, Alashiya, Nuragic, Canaanite, Hittite, Cycladic, Urartu, Elamite

Yet they couldn't handle two tiny greek states.

I'm wondering how there are 5 or 6 responses to this thread and nobody's mentioned the ancient Egyptians on the overrated list yet. I mean what really did they bring to the world that served any purpose? (And no pyramids and King Tut's death mask are not useful contributions to society.)

I agree that the Persians were underrated. Also Harappan India was even more underrated. They had running water and sewers in about 2500 BCE.

>what really did they bring to the world that served any purpose?
>Useful
>serving any purpose

Shiggy

They are actually underrated

What did they bring?

Paper, glass, the alphabet, realistic sculptures (influenced Greeks directly), papyrus which was the paper of ancient times

Overrated:

Ancient China

Justly retated:

Rome, Greeks

Underrated:

Byzantine

Writing? Most of the scripts in the surrounding area were based on hieroglyphics. Even the Sumerians ripped them off I believe.

sniff sniff
i smell the F letter

Not sure about overrated civs, but Byzantines are vastly underrated and overlooked.

Overrated: Greeks. Their golden age was just a couple hundred years, and everything they're known for was spread by others (Romans and Macedonians, mainly).

Underrated: Indus valley civilization. They had very advanced construction and plumbing capabilities in the 2000s BC.

It's so funny how assblasted europhobes think because they haven't been exposed to a certain world region in public school as much as they'd like to the whole world is that way. I assure you that much of the world is very familiar with China over Rome.

>Even the Sumerians ripped them off I believe
it was the other way around, lad

>I assure you that much of the world is very familiar with China over Rome.

Yeah maybe in your fantasies gook.

Overrated: Turks, post-roman germanic kingdoms, Mughal empire, aztecs, Mali empire

Underrated: Incans, japanese

>Overrated: Muslim Caliphates, Mongols, Norse
>Underrated: Indian nations, Portugal, Dutch,

The Byzantines actually seem overrated to me. They mostly kept Roman things and didn't seem to innovate a lot themselves.

China and India are underrated. They invented a whole lot of things. Some of which Arabs copied and pretended to have invented themselves. (The concept of zero and "Arabic" writing system cough cough.)

I agree that the Egyptians are overrated, and generally brought a lot less to society than most people believe. Especially if you consider that some of their supposed "contributions" were actually made by ethnic Greeks and Jews living in the country. Or in the case of the Proto-Siniatic alphabet, by Levantian workers in the country.

Levantines workers who would've never made that invention if Egyptians didn't conquer them and enslave their asses ;)

>overrated
Sparta
>underrated
Venice

Any Nordic ''civilization''.
>Most underrated
Arab Caliphates, ancient China and ancient Carthage

Where is the proof that those workers were slaves?

The Egyptians barely had slavery.

The Arabs, rather than being underrated, are actually overrated. As I mentioned in my previous post, they copied a lot of Chinese and Indian inventions and prevented to invent them. The Arabs did a decent job at preserving Roman knowledge, but really didn't really come up with much new themselves.

>overrated
Sweden
>underrated
Danemark

The byzantines innovated just as much as the Romans did, especially in engineering. Neither empire was a scientific innovator though. The Roman law being the predecessor of civil law concept also refers to the byzantine empire (justinian the great). The failed Arab sieges of Constantinople protected Western Europe for centuries, and shaped European history more than any other series of battles during the middle ages. Byzantine immigrants from Constantinople after 1453 to Italy also accelerated the Renaissance thanks to byzantine preservation of ancient greek texts (Imperial Library of Constantinople was the greatest library at the time, especially after the siege of Baghdad), which was a lot more significant than the islamic preservation of greek texts meme that parades on mainstream culture nowadays.

And that's just off the top of my head. If you ask the average person nowadays, he won't even be able to tell you what the byzantine empire is, might not even recognise the name. If that's not underrated, then I don't know what is.

>Overrated
The conquerors
>Underrated
The conquered

Not at all. You're just spouting nonsense from retarded revisionists with an Anti-Islam agenda. Any credible historian who isn't blinded by modern politics won't take that seriously. Arab inventions are acknowledged by academia.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inventions_in_the_medieval_Islamic_world#Arab_caliphates

>overrated
Sweden
Denmark
>underrated
Norway

Underrated: Portugal, China, India (especially the Harrapans), Renaissance Italy, Byzantines, Carthage, Mesopotamia

Overrated: Vikings, Mongols, Ottomans, Native Americans, Egyptians

/thread

>overrated
Sweden
Denmark
Norway
>underrated
Sweden Minor (Finland)

Egyptians aren't overrated

They built the best sculptures of their time, the most complex temples and imposing monuments, greatly influenced much of the Eastern Mediterranean area, and did come up with some interesting works in the field of medicine

It's really irritating how some idiots here try to give them shit by saying "hur durr they only built them pyramidz!!" while they created much, much more, both in terms of architecture, art and culture

The Arabs invented chemistry and made scientific advances. They also correctly realized the world was round, and calculated the earth's circumference.

Where the Arabs are overrated is their math contributions. In some Arabs attributed India's math ideas to themselves, as previously noted. However, the Arabs and Persians made significant advances to algebra. (Algebra had already been invented by Babylonians and Greeks- the Arabs just made advances to the already existing math.)

''Algebra'' is literally an Arabic word btw. No seriously, go look it up if you don't believe me.

I don't think that the Egyptians are overrated but I can understand why some people think they are. The Egyptians are best known for pyramids, which admittedly are hardly useful in the least. Most people don't know about the Egyptian's advances in medicine or influence on the alphabet. (Although saying the Egyptians invented the alphabet is a bit of a stretch.)

Anyway, I suspect that some of the anti-Egyptian posters are from pol (We wuz kangz), since the idea of the Egyptians being a hugely overrated civilization that did nothing but build pyramids is a pretty popular meme on there. And that is despite the fact that the pol posters themselves keep posting pics of the Egyptian frog god and try to make him the symbol of white supremacy.

>Overrated
Babylonia
>Underrated
Toungoo Dynasty

Celts were underrated.

I don't know if Medieval Europe was underrated but the Middle Ages were really not as bad in Europe as they are made out to be. Especially after 1000.

Persians* It was also the persians who contributed to the indians regarding algebra, arabs had nothing to do with it

Overrated: Sparta, Rome, Mongols, Spanish Empire, Jews, Classical Greece, Byzantines

Underrated: Minoan, Burma, Amazonian, Ottoman Empire, Tlingit, Tongan Empire

Justly rated: Vikings, British Empire, Aztec, Inca, Celts

>Overrated
What others have said

>Underrated
Non-Mediterranean Bronze and Iron Age Europe

Sparta is very overrated. Almost all Greek contributions came from Athens.

Why are some people saying Rome is overrated?

>Most overrated
R*mans

>Most underrated
Celts

>Overrated: Turks
By who? The only people I ever see rating Turks highly are contrarian liberals trying to talk up a Muslim civilization and the Turks themselves.

Exactly. Who rates Turks highly in the first place?

>t. Ir*sh subhuman

Enrico Dandolo does.

turks

I like the Turks. I find their incorporation of various people interesting, and aesthetics nice. I don't know why they get so much hate. But personally I like the Moors better.

>Underrated Ottomans

Hm?

Not Irish

Overrated: Parthians
Underrated: Sassanids

Anything in sub-Saharan Africa except for possibly the Kushites seems overrated to me. But come to think of it, does anybody except for SJWs regard these "civilizations" very highly in the first place?

>aztecs
y tho

The Aztecs were a moderately impressive civilization but also a little savage.

Over: Japan.
Under: Mexico.
Favorite: 900BC African Tribalism

Underrated: Persians, Mesopotamia
Overrated: Egyptians.

After seeing this thread and realizing how few people think Egypt is overrated, I'm more convinced than ever that Egypt is overrated.

Because you don't know anything about Egypt, or Mesopotamia for that matter, you just think Mesopotamia is cooler because Sumerians developed writing slightly earlier so you "figured out" that they are more important, which of course if a childish, elementary school tier way of thinking.

Japan history is overrated. They were extremely primitively before Matthew Perry. Their present may be impressive but their past is not.

I never realized that anybody respected the Celts until I read this thread. But now that some people have said the Celts are underrated, I have to put the Celts on my overrated list. Until the Roman conquest (and to some extent even until William the Conqueror) Britain was the most barbaric and uncivilized place on earth. British people still get very embarrassed if you ask them about their pre-Roman "history." I'm stunned that anybody argues Celts are underrated.

Great Zimbabwe is overrated.

The present day US is overrated.

Clearly a post written by someone who has only seen some of the basic/ mainstream anime.

Fuck off when you've watched the original Dragonball, kid.

impressive, never did I think it possible to cram so much horseshit into a single post

So Japan history isn't overrated because of a fictional show called Dragonball Z?

Reddit post

371127, it's the truth. Britain's history before the Romans is extremely embarrassing, and even Britons will admit it.

Europe in general was not very civilized before the Romans, but Britain in particular was really uncivilized.

>My subhuman Chink ass is ON FIRE

Repeating the same horseshit point doesn't make it any more true, y'know
Did an Englishman steal the girl you liked, user?

Also you never explained the rather laughable point that:
>...to some extent... until William the Conqueror... Britain was the most barbaric and uncivilized place on earth

>Most Overrated
Romans & Greeks , Muslims & Christians, Russians & Americans
>Most Underrated
Ancient easterners like Babylon, Parthia, Persia.
Nomad civilizations besides the turks, mongols and huns
Everything west of Indus and south of Sahara

Not that I mind, some shit's more interesting than other, however there's little focus on the life of your average citizen/soldier and more on aristocrats vying for political power

Overrated:
/b/ style threads where people just list what they like with no rationale
Mods who don't delete those threads
Veeky Forums

Underrated:
Life before reddit
Life before Facebook
Life before Veeky Forums

overrated egypt,assirians,mayans
underrated persians

Underrated:

>Overrated
Aztec
>Underrated
Inca

>It was also the persians who contributed to the indians regarding algebra
How exactly?

>overrated
Egypt
>underrated
Aksum

>overrated
Arabs, Chinese
>underrated
Persians, Moors, West Africans

How many golden ages do you know of that last beyond a couple hundred years

>Overrated
Ancient Egypt
Moorish Spain
Pre-Columbian America
Israel/Judea
Norse

>Underrated
Sumer
Minoans
Indus River civilization

>underrated
>Aksum
lol negro

How can you argue that any sub-Saharan African civilization was underrated? Except for the Kushites there usually wasn't a single sub-Saharan civilization mentioned in worlds history books until recently. And for good reason. Kush is basically the only negro civilization to ever exist, and even they were basically copycats who were imitating the ancient Egyptians.

Communist russia

I might put Moorish Spain on the overrated list. But the only people who seem to regard it that highly are SJWs who are trying to use Al Andalus as a supposed example of Muslim tolerance. (And Afrocentrists who think the Moors were black.)

HIEROGLYPHICS AND CUNEIFORM WERE CONTEMPORANEOUS DEVELOPMENTS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The Aztec hegemony only lasted what, like 100 years? And unlike the Incas they never developed roads or bronze working or anything else. The Incas were the only real civilization in the entire western world.

Overrated- Egypt, Assyrians, Mongols, Vikings, Arabs, anything in sub-Saharan Africa
Underrated- Rome, Greece, India, China, Mesopotamia

Also Byzantines and Persians are underrated

fantastic post

How the fuck is anyone here saying Rome is overrated? Rome is easily one of the most important civilizations that existed.

Their legacy shaped European history from Rome's inception, to it's downfall, and all the way to the modern day. European history in turn shaped global history.

>Over
Rome, Egypt, China
>Under
Etruscans, Hittites, Phoenicians

he hasnt responded yet because of how thoroughly you killed him

>Underrated
Turks, too much balkan-middle east-european hatred does that. They were the last antagonists for Europe/Christendom(later on) and that still clings
>Overrated
Romans, imperial backwaters like britian or openly mudhutstans like germany embraced classics because they lacked an original and distinct ancient civilization (by that I mean an actualy civilization and not mudhutistans)

I tried to get into Indian history - the problem is there is no little written records its hard to follow. Nowhere near as engaging as persians or egyptians for a layman since there isn't as much to dig into.

Not on this board, but in general I'd agree.