When someone thinks "Traditionalism" means "I want to return to the past"

It kinda does desu

No, it doesn't, brainlet. Pick up a book.

Your aggression originates from smol penor?

That's a Reactionary

Could you give your definition of traditionalism?

The state of liberal intellectualism.

mine is 7 1/2 inches but i lack sex

This is the second thread you've made. If you want to continue this discussion, please define what you think 'traditionalism' means.

traditionalism is a progressive, not reactionary position in any republic

Traditionalism does NOT mean returning to the past or that the past was wholly better.

Rather, Traditionalism is the belief that the 'Sacred' or the perennial existed *in* past societies and was manifested in past societies.

You don't understand Traditionalism.

So explain me the difference

Marxism: communism existed in pure for in primordial societies but was later lost. It's spirit would pop up time and time again in later history (such as in slave revolts) and in the future we must return to communism.

Traditionalism: tradition existed in pure for in primordial societies but was later lost. It's spirit would pop up time and time again in later history (such as in religion) and in the future we must return to tradition.

Socratic wise kings taking power.

>t. baby-boomer centrist scum

See

That's a useless distinction. If you seek to return to values expressed in past societies, you seek to return to the past.

>If you seek to return to values expressed in past societies, you seek to return to the past.

Wrong. You differentiated the two meanings yourself. Values which existed IN past societies.

Those values are still expressed today by a minority. It doesn't mean becoming a Primitivist.

Traditionalism is related to Spiritual aspects and is in direct conflict with Modernity which is obsessed with 'progress' and Scientism and 'Economics'.

That's such a meaningless definition I could claim modern Evangelical Christians in America are traditionalists because they believe that political leaders are chosen by God,and that the Israeli monarchy was divinely appointed

>That's such a meaningless definition

Hurrrrrrrrrrrr

At which point the values existed in traditional societies?
Sure, our Carthage-hating friend here was a tough, honest, temperate man who had many virtues. But what about the rest of Rome?

Not that I disagree with the traditional virtues and I would say society would be better if people adopted them.

Augustus Caesar should be made anew in the USA with traditional philosophical theory as set out by Socrates.

So Traditionalism is assuming that certain elements from differrent historical settings are all parts of a comprehensive system and historical systems were all shadows of that traditional system. Bud this means that those systems that existed, such as feudal monarchy were not actually comprehensive, organic systems, but artificial structures put together from elements of Tradition and other systems.

It seems more likely that systems like feudalism, Bronze age divine kingdoms, the Indian caste system etc. were the organic systems and that Traditionalism - which came later - is the one that is cherrypicking and mixing elements from those old systems.

Traditionalism is the re-invention of what is perceived as old traditions, when they are not outright fabricated.
You can't extract "values" from a certain cultural and historical context and paste them on a totally different society. Most of the traditions defended by traditionalists are modern interpretations of old systems of value with no much in common with the past.
>yoga is originally an Indian religious activity
>body intensive, painful, ascetic, used in conjunction with tons of other practices in order to help the soul of the brahmane to dissolve into the void
>US hippies/beatniks discover yoga and associate it with drug consumption and "mind-expanding" experiences
>yoga goes mainstream and is used a a relaxation/well-being practice
>globalization and tourism spread the westernized version of yoga back to India
>India adopts this new form of yoga and present it as millenary old tradition.
>defend it as a sacred heritage
>meanwhile western corporate team-building seminar go fuck indian expansive prostitutes as a "traditional tantric yoga initiation"

Those "Socratic wise kings" are embedded in a system that, if implemented, would literally be the least cultured and most repressive regime in human history. Socrates's belief in philosopher-kings is embedded in the same epistemological system that saw polytonal music as morally degenerate.