I'm a total noob, just started 5x5 strong lifts last week

I'm a total noob, just started 5x5 strong lifts last week.

I think i'm an ectomorph (although i'm not sure if these body types are accepted science anymore) because I've always been skinny, even when i've eaten quite a lot.

What are the best ways to stay lean while bulking?

Is cardio totally counter productive to a bulk, or are there ways you can incorporate cardio into bulking to burn off excess calories?

Is there any way of doing "mini-cuts" to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k_x9xc6ot2s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If an "ectomorph" worries about staying lean while bulking, they end up not gaining any weight. Just track your calories and consistently eat a surplus of 500 or so every day.

and if I start looking fat, what should i do? eat less for a week or two?

Reduce that surplus by 100? Keep adjusting.

thanks. what about cardio? I want to start doing more exercise outside of lifting like rock climbing and stuff. would I have to eat more to compensate for the extra calorie burning?

Is lamb curry ok to eat on a bulk?

Honestly I just read the sticky. You're going to have to do some math and see how many calories you're going to need for a lean bulk. Or watch some YouTube videos. Or have MyFitnessPal do it for you. And adjust as needed if you think you're not bulking fast enough or putting too much fat on.

Don't forget the StrongLifts app. I wanna start that too but I need a gym bro.

To do SL, all I need is a gym with a power rack and a freeweight bench right?

Is this garbage for a beginner? I've already got a bench and would need to buy a 7' oly bar and weights as well

I went down from 175lbs to 145lbs since December last year.

I'm 5'6'', should i keep cutting or just focus on gains now and get more protein?

I've barely ever done any exercise in my life, so my body still looks pudgy and flaccid, and not from any sort of loose skin either.

For the last week or so I've made it a habit of really clenching my ass cheeks for that glute activation as I walk around the city because I want to become the most HIGH TEST I can be within reason.

Good idea or bad?

Worked out today and supposed to work Friday but can't. What should I expect working out tomorrow in terms of not being able to lift as much?

Is there anything I can do to help heal the tendon running through my elbow? It hurts when I'm at full extension sometimes. It doesn't hurt when I'm lifting but it pops sometimes during bicep curls

Yes
Neither

This is more personal health than fitness but:
I've got a bump on my ass-cheek that has been bothering me lately. It was slightly painful and a bit itchy earlier so I scratched it until it started leaking plasma. I got some toilet paper to dab it off, then decided to put a little pressure on the bump and it erupted dark red blood. It continued to leak dark red blood for another minute or so, and it was a decent amount of blood too.

Should I be overly concerned? I put some antibiotic ointment and a bandage on the bump and it doesn't hurt any more, but I don't know if I should consider seeing a doctor or not.

What are the legitimate dangers of crash cutting? I'm 6' 240 looking to cut to ~210. I eat around 1500 calories a day, people look at me in horror when I say this.

Beside the mood swings, whats so bad about this?

You should probably go get that checked by your doctor ASAP

Ohhh man I just got over a pretty bad case of golfers elbow.. honestly it did not get better until I rested totally.. I tried working around it but shit just kept flaring up..took a week off and came back pretty much where I left off.

Honestly I had the same thing, personally it goes away after awhile. It will however come back sometimes, I haven't went to the doc for it because I'm pretty sure mine isn't coming back anymore but you should because its going to keep bleeding out puss and shit and it smells like a sewer

why are there two threads

anyway, this

Do i need to deadlift with those big rubber plates?
My gym only has 15 25 35 45 i believe. Can I add the metal ones on the side of the rubber ones?

How long did you rest for?

should I be adding my variables to a 5x5 SL
squat, military press, dead lift routine as a skinny fat?

Is a 2pl8 deadlift good?

Im at 141lbs bw

Is this a good workout for hypertrophy?

youtube.com/watch?v=k_x9xc6ot2s

If you don't feel like watching the video, the workout is these three exercises, performed as many times as possible in 12 minutes.

Deadlift (to failure)
Incline Dumbell Press (x10, 30 degree angle)
Dumbbell Shovel Press Curl (to failure)

You should all post in the other thread >>
Because dumbass didn't actually write QTDDTOT in the OP and people can't easily find it in the catalog

Protip: Always write both QTDDTOT and the full title in the OP

No, unless you're a girl

>adding my variables
What the fuck does this even mean

You can do whatever you want. Just know that there is a standard olympic plate size that sets a standard bar height. Past that, doesn't really matter. But the rubber plates exist for a reason

Cyst?
See a doctor

Sure
Rest

Just push everything back a day instead
Rest is important (as read in the fucking sticky)

It won't grow your ass
Only help alleviate a little pressure from the knees and possibly help with APT

Do whatever you want mayne
I would just put focus on getting lifts up at this point

Probably has a shit weight limit and might tip easily

For this and to build home gym:
1. Bar and weights
2. Rack
3. Bench
4. DBs and accessories

IIFYM

"ectomorph" doesn't exist, it's bullshit pseudoscience

Eat with a moderate surplus towards maintenance and limit sugar
>minicuts
Focus on 1 goal at a time and don't change it too often

how do i fix a foward head posture/minor spine scoliosis?

i want perfect posture

currently doing body weight shit

I'm up to 180 push-ups in 6 sets
but I can only do like 2 pull-ups and 6 chin ups.

I know I'm a total rookie in general but I feel like my back should be progressing more. I do 3 sets of Chins and 3 sets of pull-ups every other day and I alternate which ones I start with. each set of Chins or pulls is followed by a set of push-ups (average 30 per set). I also do single leg assisted up and negatives on the way down to finish out my chin and pull sets to 12 or failure.

what should I be doing? I'm a poor fag btw. all I have is an iron gym and 40lbs of adjustable dumbbells. I should be getting a straight bar and bench soon so I'll start doing rows

any suggestions?

I hate a bit of fat only on my obliques, making small love-handles.

Do I have to drop weight to get rid of them, or will they respond to ab exercises specifically for the obliques?

oh and to add on, I really don't want to dial back my push-ups because I love doing them and I typically add about 2-5 onto each set every workout. but I do think my back and chest is really imbalanced

if you can do 180 pushups your form is fucked up.

you shouldn't be able to do that many pushups with slow, good form

2 seconds down, 2 up

long answer. read the sticky

short answer. lose fat

it's over 6 sets. 30 per set. I was planning on focusing on form tho and going slower

by some plates and do front/lateral raises for delt/traps

But it's ONLY on my obliques. I look pretty damn Aryan everywhere else.

Basically if I drop weight, will the fat loss be mostly from that area?

look at scoobys vid for proper form

also do a few sets of incline/decline pushups

I do have Dumbbells so ok I'll add them to my routine. I'm such a faggot I just don't know what to do. I'll post my routine if you could tell me what to add I'd appreciate it

A
12 pull-ups (assisted/negative) x 3
30+ push-ups x 6
12 chin-ups (assisted/negative) x 3
dumbbell OHP 13 x 3
alternating curls 13 x 3
bent over flys 8 x 5

the flys, dbohp, and curls are all done with 20lb Dumbbells.

B
run 5k

ABABABA
my rest day is basically B.

as I said though I'm getting a bar and bench soon so I'd like to start doing all the compound lifts

depends on your genetics. read the sticky

ok will do thanks

alternatives to cooking with oil and butter? pans stick like a bitch so.

At calorie target for the day, about 40g short of protein target.

Should I go do cardio, burn enough cals to balance out or ignore?

Missed protein target a couple days lately, but not by much

use spray? or buy one of those special nonstick pans?

if I'm cooking a fatty meat I usually render out the fat to cook the rest of my shit in. money saver and technically not adding extra calories since you already factored it into the meat. but for the most part I just use butter. you can use a lot less of it if you actively spread it over the pan. but maybe you have a shit pan

how much protein do you have so far and how much do you weigh

Are deadlifts sufficient for developing my neck and traps? If not what lift should I be doing? Currently only doing bench, deadlift, squats and ohp. Tryna get big

140g protein today.
Weight 275lbs
Height 6'3

I've spent a year running and have finished loosing weight and started hitting the gym. Although loosing weight was easy as shit, gaining muscle is proving difficult because I don't eat enough.

On a normal day I'll eat about 1200-1500 calories. I eat exceptionally clean, just not enough and it's mostly fruit with no vegetables.

If I add a protein shake at around lunch time will this magically 'make up for it'?

your delts/traps are lacking, also that's a fine routine i guess as long as you're eating enough your good

also don't overtrain

you're fat I take it? what weight are you eating for

Apparently max weight is 600+ pounds. Some guy on youtube put 535 pounds and then did pull ups on it. I say it's a good buy. I'm debating on it now too. Only problem is plates for deadlift are expensive as fuck.

ok I'll work on them. and yeah I started out at 195lbs in February. I'm a manlet, 5'6 so I looked like shit. I'm down to 155 now and I'm currently losing less than a pound per week but I'm eating more and I think I'm looking better and getting stronger in general. so I hope it's going well. once I hit like 140 or I'm satisfied with my cut I'll start bulking and say fuck it and get a membership

You won't be able to lose more than about 1.5% of you bodyweight a week without risking losing lean mass

Ye.

BMR ~2700kcal, consuming around 1900kcal a day.

barbell shrugs. get straps for them too.

you could do the cardio if you are really concerned about the calories but if you got protein powder, 2 scoops won't kill you and you can just dial back what you eat over the next few days until you make it up. it's more about how much you eat per week than per day

Just gonna crosspost here since this one seems more popular.

I think that's a pimple lol

Under eating may cause you to feel fatigued, dizzy, have problems focusing, problems remembering things.

Rubber plates are used to cushion the weights if dropped. You can use metal ones on the outside, but the rubbers should be the only ones that touch the ground. If you can't find enough rubber ones it really doesn't matter

Lose some weight probs

Read the sticky it's super helpful, you gotta cut fat.

Usually you will lose fat over your entire body. Putting on oblique muscle will only cause your sides to stick out more, you have to lose some fat if you really care about it that much.

Throw in some lat raises, shrugs

Coconut oil is still oil but it's great! It has omega 3 in it and works like butter usually

Read the sticky. You have to take in more calories than you burn daily or you will not put on any muscle. Try a mass gainer w/ protein in it.

Do shrugs, use a trap bar for your deadlifts.

Do I need bodyweight in protein on days I don't lift?
Are curls better with a barbell or two dumbbells?
When people say you have a 'broad chest' are they just saying you're making it?

protein during recovery days is just as if not more important. the whole 1g/lb thing is overkill though.

I prefer dumbbells because I can focus on each rep and each arm individually. I like the EZ bar too for different grip variations.

some people are just barrel chested. so no.

I've heard its 1g for every pound of LEAN BODY MASS.

So everything excluding fat. Not sure about the truth to that though.

I hit my calorie goals today with a lot less protein and fiber that I should have. Should I eat more kcals to reach the grams required or just leave it at that? If I chose to eat I'd be eating a maintenance today.

go with maintenance.