ITT:

Eastern vs Western Philosophy

Other urls found in this thread:

bsix12.com/east-meets-west/comment-page-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

eastern is a dead end

What is the black spot supposed to be?

Is the red representing the blood of a million chinamen ?

who walks like that? A human duck?

a problem i think, westerners go through it but easterners try to avoid it

Western philosophy is actual philosophy. The east occasionally has accidental philosophy from the more cerebral parts of eastern religions and political theory.

What religion is taoism?

>Eastern
Why does anyone still use this term? It's too broad an undefined.

Found the whole thing here
bsix12.com/east-meets-west/comment-page-1/
Also, can anyone decipher the thing about beauty ideals?

Taoism.

I just dabble into philosophy occasionally, but from what I've read. Eastern philosophers tend to view things with disregard for the self. Western philosophy is very egocentric, Nietzsche is a prime example. That's the biggest difference between the two that I noticed.

The Orient, and all Eastern thought, Eastern medicine means East of Jerusalem, West of Hawaii.

Yep

Eastern philosophy views the universe as a whole and acknowledges that the human experience is just one limited perspective. Whereas with Western philosophy, everything revolves around humanity.

Brilliant diversity

Really forces you to ponder

Eastern's philosophy is very much more spiritualist and existentialist than Western's philosophy, that is more turned to rationalism and metaphysics.

Western is always the best.

What is the name of these comparisons again, the west vs east attitude.

taoism is the religion,
but it's eastern philosophy.
I mean, what else would it be. It has the fucking word, "tao" in it.

Op, what do you regard as eastern philosphy? Their are many branches of philosphy in the east that are very contrasting.

Which is a stupidly broad category. By this definition, you are lumping Islam, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Shintoism, and Tengrism all into one group which is ludicrous. These philosophies would only all seem similar to someone who knows jack shit about them.

Exactly, which is why i asked, .

The most defining characteristic of Western philosophy is probably the body-soul-dualism

Wow, this is genius.

tbqh I just wanted a general contrast or differentiation. but it seems like Eastern Philosophy is a clusterfuck.

Well yes because unlike Europe, what encompasses Asia is a huge ass continent

lmao what

all eastern philosophy converges towards a very similar spiritual truth because it utilizes meditation over the mind

meanwhile western philosophy is widely trapped in materialism because they're convince they can speculate their way to truth, which is not possible

I wish people would stop saying "east" or "west" when referring to philosophy.

Philosophy in the western hemisphere today is a work in progress on classical philosophers of Greek literature. But take a deep thinker from Scandinavia during the 1000s, and he might have add completely different ideas, maybe something akin to what a lot of eastern philosophers believe.

Because you have to remember, Hinduism was started in an Indo-European society, and Buddhism was founded on very western concepts, and taken eastward to China and Japan. Christians felt the same way going to Japan as they did going to Germania; they were met with savages who were civilized in their own right and worshiped gods of nature.

Shinto literally means "Gods' truth/path"
In Iceland, there's a growing number of people who are a part of a religion called "Asatru", literally "Gods' truth/path".
There are very similar concepts between these types of religions; and between the peoples, especially back then, many of the same thoughts had been minded.

>Buddhism was founded on very western concept.
You are wrong. Buddhism has very common with hinduism, tell me one thing it has in common with western philosophy.

Why did the Democrat step in cowshit and why did the Republican step in piss?

that spiritual truth is a feudal monarchy. Which is a divine punishment for their impiety. It didn't go anywhere, so they all had to adopt western ways of thinking to survive.

Not him but several of the prominent continental philosophers like Schopenhauer stole a whole bunch of shit from Eastern religions.

>that spiritual truth is a feudal monarchy

Thats part of what I hate about Eastern philosophy. Politically, it never goes beyond being a subservient serf.

Looks more like the difference between Confucian and Daoist approach to overcoming the boulder.
Also westerners are constantly looking outwards while eastern thought prescribes looking in.

Could also be relative to the difference between homeopathy and allopathy.

Autism

This explains chinks' poor driving

"Flow like water"

Western: If you have a problem, you seek to recognise, understand the problem, get to the root of the problem that you may solve it and remove it.

Eastern: Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Your Problem Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Problem Like Nigga Close Your Eyes Haha

>Also westerners are constantly looking outwards while eastern thought prescribes looking in.

Westerner has a problem: solves the problem.
Easterner has a problem: how do emotionally deal with the problem? after all, the only thing promised in life is suffering (problems) but if I meditate long enough I will recognise existence is an illusion and I will liberate myself from the wheel of problems.

"can't have no problems if existence is just an illusion"

based

As I see it, it's the westerner who ignore the problem since he walks straight into it without caring.

Eastern Philosophy worked 2000 years ago when the best you could hope for was nulling out both suffering and enjoyment.

Yeah, sure, if you just look at the image without trying to understand what it means.

That's still the best we can hope for bruh.

Western philosophy is similar to Eastern philosophy. Taoism is just stoicism. If you have no control over an event it is pointless to fret over it. Easier said than done of course, but true.

It does not mean avoiding problems, it means directing your energies to things you can change.

>2000 years ago
Gee I wonder who could be behind this

You can't "steal" philosophical principals. Something like Buddhism was meant to disseminated if we are assume it believes it's own claims as being the true path.

Actually that's a series of images hong kong vs mainland china.

>how do emotionally deal with the problem?
Don't Stoicism do that too?