How did Sundanese, Javanese and Malay people become Muslim?

How did Sundanese, Javanese and Malay people become Muslim?

forced conversions by arabs

Exposure to Muslims through the indian ocean spice trade. As to why they specifically became Muslim I couldn't say.

Conversions via Muslim Discount.

Seriously, Muslim traders offered discounts to people who would convert.

In addition, the rulers of Southeast Asian Maritime states in the what is now Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines liked the bit where it united people through faith. Unlike the bickering religions and animisms of the region.

Genocide, or at least the threat of it.

>being this delusional
They converted when they were met with the true religion via trade.

Actually some indonesian warlords converted to Islam because jihad provides a nifty justification for conquering other peoples, and ended up conquering and converting all others.

There is no true religion, how could there be?

I don't have an extensive knowledge of Islamic history but here is my best-educated guess. There were probably kingdoms in those regions that were pagan. Muslim traders came along and traded with them. the Muslims probably offered better trade deals if they converted. The kings convert and then makes his population convert. Its economics, the same reason Albanians and Bosniaks converted

> About the middle of the twelfth century the people of Maldives converted from Buddhism to Islam when a pious Muslim from north Africa rid the land of a terrible demon. (The demon had demanded a young virgin each month - and the Muslim hero offered to take the place of the girl. Before the sacrifice, he recited the Qur'an throughout the night, and the demon could do nothing out of fear of the Sacred Word.)

This is wild

Mashallah

Indonesian here, I could be very specific if you want
>Sundanese
Converted mainly by the Javanese, either by war or by preachers
>Javanese
Islam has always been present in Java since the 800s due to spice trade, but it only became really significant after the following happened:
The previous Hindu-Buddhist Majapahit dynasty continue to arrange marriages with a traditional ally that have turned Muslim; the Chams (nowadays in southern Vietnam). this turned many upper class people to convert to Islam, shaking the political hold of the dharmist
Zheng He voyage to the area brought new Chinese settlers to the area, most of them who settled happened to be Muslim, they have a strong and lasting influence in converting the middle class masses, infact the first Muslim king of Java is a half Chinese named Raden Patah alias 靳卟嗯 Jin Bun, pic related is his tomb
The nine saints of Java called Wali Songo influential in both Indonesia and Malaysia are all either half Chinese or Cham
>Malays
Malays are the earliest people which converted to Islam in maritime southeast Asia, they were islamised directly by Arab and Indian preachers, as well as by the Chams, although they're only became dominantly Muslim by the 15th century by the time of Malacca Sultanate, Islamisation has happened there much earlier in the 1100s signified by King Phra Ong Mahawangsa of Keda state conversion to Islam
The later Malays and Javanese influence is instrumental in converting the whole archipelago to Islam, with exception of jungle tribes which remained animist

Whoa you guys are retarded. How could Arabs force conversion or threaten genocide when they weren't in charge of society?

This here is the right answer. Conversion to Islam gave Malay and Indonesian elites access to a far wider selection of goods and markets, and ensuring that native traders had equal footing with Arab and Indian merchants.

Unironically the only good post in this thread. Thanks user.

>when you go on a gap year to ride all sorts of cocks but end up converting people

Walisongo did nothing wrong

Muslim missionarism is horribly underrated. There were some real hard ass dudes spreading the religion across the world. In fact the Dhimmi system meant the Muslim ruling class either didn't convert at all or were outright hostile to conversions so they were doing it without state support a lot of times.

If you're still here Raid-sama, mind going into detail on Islamism in the area? Like:
>is Muslim art similar to the Orient or is it influenced by local peculiarities?
>do they drink?
>did they pay lip service to the Caliphs?
>did they diverge dogmatically?
>how did they treat non-Muslims? What about Muslim minorities?

I don't know for sure, Islam came from arab, india, persia, and some of them from chinese. But my theory is that, Islamic practices are pretty much similar with the so-called our "easterner" cultures.

t.real Indonesian

>Sundanese, Javanese

What's the difference?

InDOGnesial

shaddap malingshit

not exactly the same,but is influenced by local customs.
if this walisongo exist, handful of them must be a good sociologist.

pop drinking alcohol in the past till now its part of the culture, but nowadays indonesian getting more conservative.

what lip service do you mean?
diverge dogmatically?
you mean forming another sects?
if yes, it means no.
only sunni and shia.
the shia is very minor group nowadays I am sure not even reaching half a million.

in the past I am not sure beside creating a social mosaics with bit of conflicts.
but indonesian nowadays, even secular-nationalistics party is in cohort with right wing groups.
or in certain aspects they create sub division to entice the voters.
dumb indonesian didn't know that the opposition party chief is from christian family (prolly still christian at heart)

pop is typo.
I mean people

>>is Muslim art similar to the Orient or is it influenced by local peculiarities?

Definitely the latter, some of the shit "muslims" do here would make an arab clerics shed tears. In the first place one of the reason took off so sucesfully here was by adapting local custom, Google the stories of wali songo (nine saints) the resulting syncretism results in weird Hindu-muslim architecture and literature and culture, but sadly theres a recent trend of saudis exporting their clerics and their wahjabism brand of islam which are hostile to our local version of islam
>mostly no, but really depend on the region
>the aceh region uses to be a vassal of the ottomans caliph but nowaday no
>most are mainstream sunnis with shafii madhab though there are weird region who also did shiite ceremonies like ashura despite being sunnis for some reason
>theres persecution here and there but its tamer compared to what it used to be back in the day

Arabs never conquered Indonesia and Malaysia you troglodyte

West Java has always spoken something somewhat different from the rest of the island. Other dialects were subsumed into standard Javanese but Sundanese stuck around.

Very similar situation to Spanish and Portuguese.