So basically i've just gotten into running...

So basically i've just gotten into running, found some couch to 10k program and i'm kinda following it but i've come across this problem.
Side stiches.
You probably have/had them too and i was wondering how to stop having them?
Currently i'm running like this :
Run 4minutes - nothing, walk 2 minutes
Run 4minutes - little pain, can ignore it, walk 2 minutes
Run 4minutes - nearly impossible to run in the end, walk 2 minutes
Run 1minute - because it hurt too much , had to walk the with my back bent to so it wouldn't hurt.

I know you're probably gonna say don't eat 2hours before running or something like that and i did that, i tried various times, 1-2-3 hours and the side stiches are still there.
What do?

TL;DR pic.

>running not cycling

Enjoy your impact injuries.

Hydrate properly

ffs

my hydration is fine, i drink around 2-2.5l of water in one or other form every day.

exhale when you land on the side that hurts

I think stitches are partially a result of the stopping. Try pushing through the walking periods and changing your rhythm for breathing with your footfalls (for example if you find you're breathing in on a left step and you get a stitch try adjusting your breathing rhythm to inhale on your right step instead). Both of these things help me to avoid them, hopefully one might help you.

We were always told to find a rock and clench it in the hand on the side of your stitch, i.e side stitch on your left, clench it in your left hand.
Something around the size of the long one here. I don't know if it's broscience, but it seems to help.

Put a small rock on the hand that is on the opposite side of your side stiches, and clench that. That is what I have always been advised.

You're going too fast. Run slower.

It's about breathing. Take in really deep breaths while running. It sucks but keep doing it and the stitch will go away

Distance runnerfag here, ive found breathing in a rhythm helps. Ex. Inhale every 4 steps, then exhale for next 4. Try breathing with your belly (really, diaphragm), not your chest, and staying relaxed. Anecdotally, exhaling when your left foot hits the ground is supposed to help too

i'm not stopping while walking
i'll have to try out the breathing advice, thanks.
i'll try that.
i'm running with my phone in right hand and i'm getting the stiches in my right side, you think that might be the case?

This.
Side stitches, in my experience, are caused when you're breathing too shallow. When running, focus on breathing deeply, in and out. Gain a rhythm.

Like other anons have said it's all about breathing properly to get rid of this issue, I'm still trying to figure out the best way for myself but when I can keep a good rhythm going it usually isn't so bad.

When I run my shins get bumps and my ankles feel like there's a lot of pressure on them, does this have a name?

Might be shin splints, If your ankles are hurting then you're landing on your feet wrong (Or you're obease) try to get someone to look at your running form.

Mostly good advice in here, I'd never heard about the rock thing.
Working on your core strength will also help.

Taurine 1-2g a day.

>not using proper form when running
You know we were made for this shit, right user?

This.
All about breathing lads.

>'Just started running'
>Does couchto10k instead of 5k because he thinks he is a special snowflake

You deserve your pain, you stupid, stupid cunt.

People were made to die before they reached 50 but we found ways around it.

any human being who does not have serious health issues can run 10k with no training

I've never had side stitches stop, I'll always get a stitch in my right side when running and I'm at the point of 18 min 5ks.

This man speaks the truth.

When I started I went couch to 10k @ 1:04 (if memory serves) in like 6 weeks. Sure, that's objectively slow - but that's running, non-stop. And I'm 6'4" and like 100 kilos.

I used to get rid of stitches by raising the elbow of the affected side to stretch out the obliques. You look like a bit of an idiot running with one arm behind your head but it beats being in pain.

What is a stitch anyway? Basically a muscular cramp?

What kind of a fucking retarded program tells you to run then take a break then run then take a break etc

Continuously move forward at the same pace for 30 minutes. It doesn't even need to be running at first as long as you have a high heart-rate. Do NOT stop. This is objectively the best way to get into running shape. It's all about time, heart-rate and consistency

........................................... Real advice on Veeky Forums? Sometimes I miss the good ol double 0 days. It's about breathing from the diaphragm. Deeply and rhythmically. Don't forget about correct posture, you should be extending down from the hips and up from the spine (core). desu I'm amazed you retards finally figured out that breathing fixes side stiches

f a g g o t s
a
g
g
o
t
s

Couch to 5k does this, too. It's good advice for people who cannot run for 30 minutes straight.

Like alot of anons said, having side stitches mean you lack oxygen. Only way to deal with it is better breathing, correct posture and decreasing speed.

Squats and oats

Try to time your exhalations so that you're breathing out when you land on the left foot.

This isn't broscience your diaphragm presses up against your liver which is on your right that's what causes stitch.

High test so you actually read this

>made to run on asphalt and concrete
Wrong.

That isn't shit, you should be getting 4+ a day.

Source?

SS + GOMAD

You running in boots, chucks, flat soles or some shit? It's fine to run on paving you mong.

I find I get them a lot less if I stretch my torso before I run.

Lmao what is hiit? Proven science, m8. Having small breaks can lead to good cardio gains and is easier for an out of shape person to power through.

I've found that just stopping for a few seconds and then repeatedly bending and touching my toes until the pain goes away works every time.

that is mostly from being a newbie, just git gud and your lung efficiency gets better

>he doesn't know about hiit
point at him, point at him and luagh.

recovering cardio addict here
20+ years running

this

you land your foot while you are exhaling, and the diaphram fucks you up there

one simple trick is, as soon as it starts aching, maintain the same breathing rhythm, but skip a stride, so that you land on the oposite foot that you were using

example:
breathing pattern: 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2...
foot: L R L R L R...

you are running and it matches in a certain way naturally
L R L R L R L R L R L ...
as you can see in this example, you just inhale (1) while landing your left foot (L)

oh, it aches, just switch it, by skipping one time:
L R L R L L R L R L R ..

ache disappears in 1-2 minutes...