Tell me about the Siamese and later Thai kingdoms Veeky Forums...

Tell me about the Siamese and later Thai kingdoms Veeky Forums. How did Thailand manage to escape colonization like Japan without the natural defenses/borders? Also, why is thai fashion so based? pic related

It served as a geographical barrier between rival powers' colonies.

but why was it not colonized then by one of them to get the upperhand? What did Thailand do different.
Also let's just talk about Siam/thailand in general too

Neither wanted to go to war in the first place, and fewer shared borders stops that from happening.

>How did Thailand manage to escape colonization like Japan without the natural defenses/borders?
>malaria and dense jungle doesn't count as natural defenses

True, but still unlike Japan, they were still on the mainland and not separated by an entire body of water.

So they realized taking that land would make it likely a huge conflict would start by "stepping on the other person's toes" so to speak. Still Thailand managed to remain independent until this day even in the face of western expansion. Not even China 100% managed independence throughout all their history.

How is water a barrier? The reason nobody invaded Japan was they had nothing that the regional superpowers didn't already have. What did Japan have that China would consider worth having? The mongols only invaded on a matter of principle, not out of any great strategic need, and were only thwarted by freak weather. Twice.

Know what a much worse barrier is? Hundreds of miles of impenetrable jungle.

>How is water a barrier?
It's quite a powerful one is said water is prone to storms

Natural Buffer State between French Indochina and British Raj

ok I guess get it. They didn't want to risk stepping on each other's toe + jungle and heat apparently.
Doesn't anyone here know anything in depth about Siamese/thai history though? I'm also interested in that.

which is exactly what happened on multiple occasions(Mongolian example being one). You know how many people were shipwrecked on their shores that they refused to help?
Storms on sea are scary.

I thought Siam had a deal with Japan thus allowing the military access but without occupation

The never colonised stuff they gloat about is mostly a meme, they did so by by bending over backwards when the brits and french came, they gave away their land (south thailand to the brits, cambodia to the french) to appease western power, also like someone said they make usefull buffer state for Brit colonies in burma and french cambodia

Tell me more? Are you Thai btw?

But literally the only reason Japan went untouched for so long is that it was simply far away from the main continent with a stormy sea as a buffer.
Thai was literally on the continent, yet still found a way out. I guess this all culminated in both Asian countries when they decided the only way to remain independent was to modernize, which they did. Both while keeping their essential cultures in tact interestingly enough.
Let's talk about Siamsee culture now please? Any SEA/ Thai fags around?

No. It was because they would literal kill anyone who washed up on shore and the government was too powerful to undermine. Korea got away like this too until the Japanese came in and took over their shit.

yeah, because most of the people who washed up would be shipwrecked due to said stormy sea.

Thailand was pretty good at the political game and would play the european powers, also they made a lot of land concessions to France and Britain which saved them a few years. Regardless they would eventually have been colonized, just like China, if europe hadn't destroyed itself with a few wars.

I also assume Ayutthaya's high regard in the west may have had something to do with it. Europe, the french in particular, loved that City and they were very kind and open towards Europeans (as opposed to some other asian states) even allowing europeans to use their lands.

>Thai kingdoms Veeky Forums. How did Thailand manage to escape colonization like Japan without the natural defenses/borders
They have really good foreign policy, basically they keep switching sides between the Brits and the French, playing them with each other as well as with other SEA nations before, ensuring they never got wrecked, though this result in their reputation as perfidious people hence the word "Siamese lie"
Also interestingly, they're the first SEA country to send embassy to Europe

Cool, you're the first noneurocentrics to paint a picture that doesn't make them look completely passive throughout this ordeal.
I would say, their choice to embrace some western culture is what eventually saved them for good. Basically, they ended up being like Japan an decided to modernize to prevent colonization by Europeans. In the end , like Japan, they still kept much of their culture and identity in the long run. So that was at least impressive.
I guess China kind of did too but at a much smaller extent, esp after becoming communist.

If we can't discuss Siamese culture and society too, at least post traditional Thai qts.

Ackshully they tried that before, with less success when Burma shitpiled on them and even Qing China couldn't save them.

why is this board so eurocentric? Don't some of you get tired of discussing WW2 outcomes and causes or the Roman empire? I sure do. particularly the former. I know this board was American made but you'd think enough different people (autistic or not) come on her both domestically and internationally.

bump.

Fun fact: The Thai kings are mostly Chinese from importing Chinese concubines and princesses, but they also have launched virulently anti-Chinese programs and stoked Thai nationalisms
Ultimately proof that ethnicity is a meme

When did Thai women stop going bare breasted in their fashion?

> Not even China 100% managed independence throughout all their history.
do you realize how retarded this sounds? China was conquered by non-han barbarians numerous times. Your statement is meaningless

>ethnicity is a meme
user, I...

I've noticed this too, especially in the chinese history threads. you can't talk about the more remarkable things non-western civilizations have accomplished without some insecure brainlet trying to discredit them.

I'd expect westerners to be most interested in their own history, thats fine, but being so against/afraid of discussing other histories is just unreasonable

When Christfags and Confucucks ruined everything

I know that, though they did maintain many aspects of Chines culture. I'm more concerned about western vs. other Eastern influences(which while varied are not completely different) since the former never risked the latter being shoved down their throat.

The Chinese descended Thai kings would have a lot to lose if ethnic consiousness became prevalent amongst the Thai people. It just proves that ethnicity can be manupilated for politicl ends. It is still fairly easy to see who is descended from Chinese vs tai and kmmer ancestry.

I think he means in terms of the concept of purity, which literally none are and to suggest that is complete denial of reality. Not even when it comes to race, Tbh.

fucking this 100x.
Why are Abrahamic religions and Confuscism such downers acting to suppres one groups of people or another(mainly women)? What a buck of old foegys

I was never sure if it's just our bad educational system/lack or people in depthly versed in Asian history or literal disregard for non-European history that creates this vibe. Considering this board has at least some English speaking international postees all times, I'm starting to think it's the latter. You'd think a board dedicated to history would have participants at least interested in learning new things for knowledge sake. I stand mistaken.

>they did maintain many aspects of Chines culture.
Hong kong and Macau maintained aspects of Chinese culture. wtf are you trying to say? you strike me as so woefully ignorant.

Thailand did not take its current form till fairly recently. The tais came from southern China. A lot of what is associated with Thai culture is actually khmmer mixed with Thai culture.

I see. Basically like Japan and other Asian countries thay appropriated some of Chinese culture and blended it with the existing indigenous culture +their own creations. Of course japan copied much more.
What exactly is Thai culture btw? The aspect that occured as a result of the new goverment regime in the 20th century or the aspects Siamese culture separate from southern chinese that existed since the kingdom's beginning?

Hong Kong was still pretty westernized though. Forgive me, I'm not well versed in all of Chinese history but when I talk about colonization, I was trying to make the distinction of loss of culture via colonization by the west as opposed to by other eastern countries. This may be superficial in a way, but I consider other eastern cultures to share more similarities to each other than the west (though yes they are not so similar). That's why I was making the distinction. I should have worded it better from the go.

They became fascist

As this user said
>buffer
>savvy politicians
>friendly

One less talked about aspect is that they used their professional courtesans to fuck diplomats hard for weeks that they were weakened into compliance and accepting attitude in talks, it's widely known tactic that isn't openly discussed in history books

I love Thailand. Been their 3 times and will probably go dozens more times, but yes I know next to nothing about its history. Seems like an underrated topic

Any books you recommend on the topics before I go wasting my time on the first semi history related site I see besides wiki(and that banned movie)?
And Siamese society /history, please.
On that topic, why was the King and I banned in Thailand exactly?

>Not conquered by Europeans.
>It's still a shitty Third World Country.
So what's Thailand's excuse?

>Been their 3 times and will probably go dozens more times

you mean to fuck 16 year old lady boys? fucking fag

They made the land concessions because they were about too or had just been BTFO by European powers. Ayutthaya was destroyed in 1767, so the whole europeans loving it bit is a bit of a stretch.
Most of the upper class have chinese blood, and even the current ruling family has some Iranian blood in it.

The Thai's were still butt hurt about losing all that land to the English and French during the colonial period. The Japs came knocking during WW II and promised all that land back if Jap troops could be stationed in Thailand. At first it was a pretty good deal for the Thai's war was going to happen regardless of their decision so they might as well get some of their land back, which by rights should be theirs. Well it didnt take long to realize the Japs were there as an occupying force. The Thai's actually helped fight for the allies during the later part of the war and were staunchly anti communist during the cold war.

Issan nightclub. Which really has a different culture than Tai. Issan and Lao are more ethnically and culturally related than say Udon Thani and Bangkok.

it's kind of a dictatorship now. Also they did still have to give up some lands to Europeans who benefited. Compare the size of siam to modern Thailand.

Thailand should retake Cambodia, Laos, and north Malaysia desu, the first two aren't real countries and the latter is Muslim

How did the medieval/Euro-contact thais fight, or the other nations/tribes around them? I seen some of they weapons like the Dha and they shields, seems like a lot of little skirmishes and light infantry tactics, but they also used elephants and some cavalry I wager. But that's only me doing mental gimnastics, I really want to learn more about that topic.
Also regional differences and all that.

I agree with Laos since they're basically the same people but not Cambodia. As for Malaysia, why would Thailand needs more Muslims? They couldn't even handle the Pattani region.

which train is Thailand's?

>did the medieval/Euro-contact thais fight, or the other nations/tribes around them? I seen some of they weapons like the Dha and they shields, seems like a lot of little skirmishes and light infantry tactics, but they also used elephants and some cavalry I wager. But that's only me doing mental gimnastics, I really want to learn more about that topic.
>Also regional differences and all that.

Bump for this! Or at the very least some good source material.
Where my SEA bros at?

Left (the old one)

they didn't have a retarded isolationist policy, that is literally it

Malaysia should take southern thailand (rightful malay lands)

it was its own independent sultanate for a while, but might makes right

Typical Buddhist/Hindu Continental SEA memes of mobs of infantry following their elephant mounted aristocracy around and some light cavalry antics.

Also for the longest time Burma was exceedingly better at fighting than Thailand, who was considered the more culturally sophisticated of the two. But Burmese did pull off shit like defeating Mongols in field battles, raiding China for giggles, and even repelling a Qing Invasion when the Qing came to Thailand's aid. Though Burma was #rekt Afterwards, leading to the liberation of Siam from a period of Burmese hegemony and Burma getting swamped by the Brits.