/OWG/ OLYMPICS Weightlifting General

OLYMPICS Weightlifting General
A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>Pathetic insecure manchildren argue about which general has a slightly larger benis edition
>owg trips are in their own chat edition
>all people who are in owg is weak edition
>when trips leave owg is dead edition
>/plg/ trips cant figure out that there are user trolls then accuse them of being from owg edition
>why aren't you chinese edition
>why did you pick a niche sport edition
>average owg will never be good at weightlifting and quit within months edition
>why dont you have abs edition
>why dont you look like elite weightlifters edition
>insult the trips edition
>dont stop fapping to strong female weightlifters edition
>i do powerlifting but i appreciate weightlifting edition
>trappy edition
>argue about something trivial edition
>i miss old owg when few trips and few anons edition
>you will never have a coach edition
>tryhard edition
>edition edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

>Commisar's notes on the dank, zesty Meme Method (DZMM)
pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM

A piece of advice about the world: If a fight goes on a long time without serving its stated purpose, its states purpose is probably a lie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q-hOSpV0TXI
70sbig.com/blog/2012/07/transitioning-to-olympic-weightlifting/
instagram.com/p/BFe9sTtpQVD/
youtu.be/E8WWPEUprJU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is a safe space

In for training HYPE youtube.com/watch?v=q-hOSpV0TXI

Oly lifting is for fags who can only cheat the weight up. Sorry "bros" but PL is infinitely harsher than your pussy parade.

>Set PB double snatch @130 last week
>hit it for a triple this week
first time I've ever had a coach and suddenly I'm lifting like I have the right number of chromosomes

strong. What weightclass?

Sup olybros

Buddy asked me to teach him the lifts. I have one doubt: should I have him practice with little weight for a while until he has the technique down, or should I make him hoist serious loads immediately?

He already has decent lifts but nothing explosive, I don't want to have him just muscle the bar around, nor to injure him

Pls advise my wise senpais

Look at his technique and decide.

sounds like 100+-

He has none, it'd be the first time he lifts

Or do you mean to look at how fast he picks the technique up?

>He already has decent lifts
> it'd be the first time he lifts
wut?

commy got banned for being a pedo

Sorry you're right, let me elaborate.

He already has decent squat, deadlift, bench press and overhead press.
But it'd be the first time he tries snatch and c&j

So he's already strong and would very easily be able to just muscle some weight around, but has zero technique and experience in olympic lifting. That's what I was trying to say

Tech work until it doesn't look like shit. Took me 5 months to at least not look like I was having a seizure during my lifts. Heavy loads will just give your friend a bigger chance for injury. Also lots of mobility work.

That was my first intention, but it has been pointed to me that I should give him a program that feels like a workout as soon as possible, instead of just having him whip the empty bar around

I'm all for good technique, but I can also understand that going in the gym and only working on technique for six months can get immensely boring if you're not into that kind of thing

I'm asking for input here, do you think there can be a good way to mix working out and technique work?
I was thinking about having him do tech work + clean high pulls and push presses for the first few weeks, then introduce snatch high pulls and overhead squats, and finally power cleans and power snatches. Real snatches and real cleans would be at least 4 months away, if not more, but at least he could make some weight progress in the meantime

Thoughts?

i thougt so.
i'd say let him learn to snatch with the bar first and once he can do it with some weight and corect form(!) move on to c&j with easy weight. c&j with just the bar is dificult to learn imo but if he allready got a feeling for pulling from the snatch you can start with some weight on c&j.

lost bookmark, pls be bros and give chat info

thanks

I did the 70's big transition program and that worked for me. 70sbig.com/blog/2012/07/transitioning-to-olympic-weightlifting/ Might be what you're looking for. I'm sure you can add in whatever extra strength work you want to the program.

What are the best home-exercises for mobility?
I'm aiming for 20 minutes a day of mobility work, but have no clue what's best for weightlifting since I'm a beginner.

>tfw people i trained with are in national team
did you know they make six figure salary?

heavy push press squats and pulls
dont go heavy on sn/cj until he can do them right

koreans look like such nerds

Six chinese figures?

Tfw you make a mistake and do 4s instead of 3s this week

Am dying

there like opposite tho, they smoke and drink and the team leader told me how he took a girl's virginity away.

Wow! So cool!

omg people do drugs and have sex

who'd have ever thought

Ok it's pretty similar to what I had in mind
Thank you bbys

How short does /owg/ cut their boxing bandages for wrist wrapping?

with a scissor

>how short
Back to second grade with you!

>Korean National Team
>getting paid in Chinese Currency
Yep, that makes sense

>nerds bragging to other nerds about having sex
confirmed nerds

>people on Veeky Forums are stupid

by golly what a surprise

>100000 South Korean Won equals 58.93520 British Pound
lmao

>@130

130lbs yea

i cut about 1/4th off so it's not too bulky

i think I like snatching better in flats.

Excuse the shit catch on the high hang.

instagram.com/p/BFe9sTtpQVD/

no one cares crosshitter

why don't you work on technique, you've been here since i can remember and you still lift like shit

oh god

dude please please please fix your technique, you're doing pretty much everything wrong

sorry to be negative but it's really a wreck

the hang snatch doesn't look too bad but the full snatch is uggo

I feel my technique has substantially improved with the help from /owg over the years and I'm grateful to the community

Said no one ever

I doubt either of you lift anywhere near what he does

Yeah I lift more than him and he's not even close so you're correct

>win an eleiko belt in a raffle gym was holding
>never once used a belt

was 10$ worth of tickets for a 150$ belt

sell it for like 90

profit!

Some weird proportions on that guy

i've met some koreans irl and the guys are some passive aggressive betas, The secondd they got some drinks into them they started talking shit about me in korean and one grabbed me , ALL because i came to the party with a korean chick and i guess thats a no-no

>muh womin!

fucking fags lol, i fucked her as hard as i could that night to compensate

>that guy

You mean the legendary Pyrros Dimas?

Yes you fucking degenerate homosexual, i hope you enjoy hell btw.

>That hair flick

he's as proportionate as a muppet

*screams*

Hey there. Could anyone give me a form check on my power clean. Trying to do more athletic movements rather than powerlfting stuff
youtu.be/E8WWPEUprJU

THERE YOU GO

AGAIN

DO IT FASTER

faster
and you really wanna slam those elbows up as high as you can when you finish

Yo, thanks for cluing me in on the Moon Shaped Pool leak. Great stuff - heady and atmospheric. Though these tracks pluck at the feels.

Thanks man

How do I get mobility in thoracic spine and other spots for squat jerk !!!????

>squatting 130kg
>only recently got to it, still failing on last reps of 3rd set but getting there
>last week some skinny but ripped dude comes up to me and compliments it, saying he only just got to 100. dude is shredded but not that big, is genuinely shocked that I could do 100 right from the start
>other big dude today compliments me squatting and says he usually only squats around 90

w-what? 130 isn't even that much is it?

Depends on how big you are. If you are a big guy it might not look that impressive

5'7 80kg

even given that I don' think 130 is anything notable.

I have tickets to the Men's -94kg A and -105kg A at Rio this August. I only have tickets for myself, but I'm planning on going with a good buddy of mine.

Is anyone here going this Aug? Would it be relatively easy to buy tickets from scalpers? Anyone have any advice? We're still really on the fence about the trip, what with the Zika and the Brazilian gov. collapsing and whatnot.

30kg short of double bodyweight.

This screams "i'm weak but my tech is superior". Atleast tell him what to fix or shut up.

Depends on the sort of gym you train at

At my local gym when I squatted 160 people where like 'holy shit'

But at the wl gym I train at too people squat 200+ and there are 58kg girls squatting 140+

In my oly gym i thought i was going to make it when i did a 130kg front squat with 85kg BW at the age of 21

I was going to leave when i noticed this ~15yo skelly kid doing reps with 100kg with his coach watching

WHY

I've been told I have a 'nice squat' at my oly gym but the caveat is always 'for a lanky guy who's nearly 30'

>rio
>brazil

I would love to go to the olympics, but o the rio games. Are you BR?

Can you please fuck off this board, you fucking clatter up every fucking thread with your bullshit . All these beta white knights giving you attention can fuck off too, just fuck off, you're ruining fit.

How to start and find weight snatch pulls and clean pulls as a beginner if my classics are still low and technique is an issue?

Also sets/reps for them?

Russian say best SN deadlift should be around 160% of best SN

However if your technique isn't perfect, don't use over 110% for any pulls

>Zika

The entire Southeast region (which includes the huge states of Sao Paulo and Minas Gerais) had 40 cases in 100 thousand people.
This is the least of your worries in Rio.

>Brazilian gov. collapsing

We're not in a violent civil war or having a government collapse or anything.
We're impeaching the president through the judicial system and voting, and the vice president is assuming.

hm i lift more or less the same as him (instagram stalkan) but yeah i'll preposterously declare that my technique is better - which makes me technically weaker i guess

the thing is that there is... everything to fix, i'm really not a coach and thus i have no idea where he should start doing so

sorry bruhbruh

depends on how big you are

but in general anything above 100 looks impressive to normalbros. when i was 75kg i was deadliften around 140, and everybody was looking at me weird and amazed in this one gym - one dude actually told me "huh bro aren't you exagerating a bit there? you could hurt yourself"

other gym (oly gym) the owner comes, sees me dling 160 and tells me "haha ur weak faggot"

on the other side, anything under 100 leaves people meh

we know better

105 because I'm not a manlet, kek
[spoiler]also because I'm fat[/spoiler]

>Lbs
get out of here with your archaic measurement system

Looks like you've got decent athleticism but you really need to sharpen the technique up - you're rowing the weight up and back through a combination of arms-hips-upper back whereas the point of the hip snatch (and the snatch in general) is to really drive through the floor with your legs whilst staying over the bar. As a result, you're behind the bar too early and throw everything back to compensate - plus your catch position is very hips-back and dirty.

The fact you lift like that explains why you prefer flats - you're not doing it properly. Work on getting your legs into the lift while keeping arms loose. Then work on staying over the bar and finishing straight up with the legs. Continually improve that catch position pls.

Firstly, 205lbs is like 90kg so you'd hope that people could lift that.

Secondly, even if you're right and they DONT lift that, are you aware that doesn't invalidate their criticisms? Ivan Abadjiev can't snatch 90kg but I bet you'd listen to him

>Never once used a belt
for what purpose

if you don't want it, donate it to a local weightlifter kid who needs help and support

Lots of:
Sots press
Snatch sots press
Narrow grip overhead squats
STRETCHING (like 3x/day if you want sick results)

my fav for overhead mobility is foam rolling the scap/T spine whilst holding a dowel rod overhead so its basically like you're rolling the overhead position.

don't forget to focus on anterior delt/pec when stretching

>130 isn't even that much is it?
no, but most people don't squat or they don't really do it well. Besides, I congratulate people on PBs all the time, its not about the weight right now, its about the effort you put into it.

>Ivan Abadjiev can't snatch 90kg

but he used to, that's fucking retarded

he had a silver medal at the worlds

My point is that technical criticism isn't something to take offence at, and the weakness of the individual providing criticism doesn't actually make the criticism more or less true. People should be humble enough to accept genuine criticism, and third parties don't really need to scream "YOURE PROBABLY NOT EVEN ABLE TO LIFT AS MUCH AS THAT GUY"

>doesn't actually make the criticism more or less true.

but it does, we're at Veeky Forums where everyone can pretend to know what they talmbout but actually dont

so yeah having at least decent numbers would make your criticisms more valid

Is sots from the front rack or on back? Do I have to do them weighted or can I just do like 20reps with bar?

>We're at Veeky Forums where everyone can pretend to know what they're talking about
true, but you're probably already a moron if you're genuinely asking people here for advice rather than on wlforums or something

>yeah having at least decent numbers would make your criticisms more valid
I know too many guys with shit lifts/great knowledge and too many with great lifts/shit knowledge to agree with that

>Is sots from the front rack or on theback
technically the sots press is a front squat where you do an OHP in the bottom, but its often used to refer to the snatch version where you do a snatch grip press in the bottom of a back squat.

>Do I have to do them weighted
nope

>can I just do like 20 reps with the bar
I don't think you can do 20 reps with the bar just yet - they're a lot harder than they look

start off with the bar if you can

>I know

that's what i said, you can't possibly know who's posting, numbers would at least give you a clue if it's worth listening to or not

do you like getting barried in your clean

90kg isnt exactly a tiny weight to snatch for someone who weighs less than that, you don't do that your first day in the gym. Don't be so flippant about someone's numbers.

no, i'm from california.
i also think the zika thing has been overblown. are you from brazil? have any advice?

>have any advice?

don't suck dick and you'll be fine

it was more that i was too cheap to buy one, ill probably start using it now that i have one

gonna take some getting used to tho.

and all of the people at my gym who are around my size all ready have belts

>tries to be funny
>gives bad advice

i said "dont suck dick", not "don't get your dick sucked"

>he doesn't suck dicks

Your loss

there are those who suck and those who get sucked

it's important to specialize in life

Use it for max squats and not much else IMO

Maybe max clean or smth

Good to have but don't need to rely on it

yeah i was thinking max squats, cj, clean, jerk

Is anyone changing up their workouts for the summer? My coach wants to switch me from 5 days to 3. He says the off season is coming up. I don't want to get rusty though.

Tell him he's a fucking faggot

What off season, comps run year round

I will be doing MMA and swimming this summer, no lifting for me and hopefully I'll get rid of my injuries.

>fighting
>hopes to get rid of injuries

I'm sorry

Unless something crazy happens in sparring or you compete the injury rate in combat sports is lower than in lifting.

>injury rate in combat sports is lower than in lifting

[Citation needed]

>Unless something crazy happens in sparring

Like you getting hit or locked in an awkward position?

My oly gym will be closed at weekends for summer. Any routine suggestions for Mon-Fri?

how's my form /owg/?