Been reading some Epictetus. The man seems like an absolute genius

Been reading some Epictetus. The man seems like an absolute genius.

how so? tell me more

Yes. It is a shame he is not more popular nowadays. He is one of the greatest philosophers ever, but very few people have heard of him.

this is bait

I like him unironically

>fuck these anti stoicism brainlet threads that belittle stoicism by comparing it to philosophical currents that build upon stoicism

Why is this a troll thread?

>how so? tell me more

Simple life advice that works.

>how so? tell me more

Stoic ethics is pretty much ancient self-help and a less developed Cognitive behavioural therapy. Especially Epictetus' take on it.

Always reminded me a bit of mindfulness as well.

>when still a slave, Epictetus was tortured by his master who twisted his leg. Enduring the pain with complete composure, Epictetus warned Epaphroditus that his leg would break, and when it did break, he said, 'There, did I not tell you that it would break?'
Sounds like a turbo cuck to me

Stoicism is stronger and better developed than CBT. I have studied both with some depth.

He's great and really helps you realise everything we worry about is bullshit.

lol other way around buddy.

Yeah this. Also it's not a competition.

This story is probably not true, given that Epaphroditus was a decent guy who treated Epictetus well and sent him to be trained by the best philosopher in Rome.

That said, what would you have done in his place, Mr Badass?

Why would CBT be in any way superior? CBT is way less developed than Stoicism. And I know CBT pretty well.

You saying some mumbo jumbo self-help from 2000 years ago defeats a well thought out and scientifically developed therapy system used all around the world? You really trying to say that?

I'm saying that a respected school of Classical philosophy is deeper than a psychological therapy.
Because it is. Stoicism goes deeper than CBT. And I really like CBT.

Humans should have atleast some level of anxiety over things.

I'd like to study some epic titties, if you know what I mean, and I think you know what I mean.

It also doesnt make sense to damage your own property.

That's an unfair characterization. It was also a comprehensive system of ethics, metaphysics, and logic. Stoic logic used to be the dominant system before Aristotelean logic became the standard.

>ik, if I put "science" in front of something it will give it legitimacy

Not to mention, the creators of CBT based their therapy on the so called "mumbo jumbo self-help from 2000 years ago", since the psychoanalysis of their time was not working.

these anti-stoic threads run on the premise that stoicism is stating the obvious in fancy words, so they pick what seems (to them) like the most self-explanatory quote, so they can cum on their screen and yell "durr so dumb, you say good because me say good, but me lie, me think is shit, lolololo you so dumb, in my trap"

truth is
1. most of these quotes have more than one layer of depth, which can't be understood outside of the whole frame of stoic thought. these fuckers don't know or see that

2. These fuckers consider Stoicism to be shit because later philosophy did better, except later philosophy was possible because of the building blocks they greeks provided. The first man who used fire wasn't less insightful than the first man who built a smartphone, any breakthrough just build on top of the previous one

3. They think Stoicism is simplistic because it doesn't use intricate semantic nuances or highly intellectual concept. They totally miss the point, stoicism is supposed to be practiced on a day-to-day basis, half of the teaching comes from the self-disciplin required to live as a Stoic. Stoicism never was about the mysteries of the universe and the human soul, it's litteraly a how-to manual

Humans do a lot of things that aren't logical.

>These fuckers consider Stoicism to be shit because later philosophy did better

On what the Stoics tried to do in Ethics (philosophy as a way of life), later philosophy did not do better.

>On what the Stoics tried to do in Ethics (philosophy as a way of life), later philosophy did not do better.

Modern liberalism does it better.

b8

>500 years of philosophy and development are wrong dude! Embrace some old greek pervert in a cave!
>*smokes anohter bong hit*