TITAN WORSHIP

Did the Greeks worship the Titans before the Olympians, or were the Titans just backstory that was created after the fact?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cI7zT06CrCI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenian_festivals
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnea
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleusinian_Mysteries
tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00437956.1993.11435902
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

she is litteraly perfect

Well yeah, do you think she got popular from good songwriting?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cI7zT06CrCI

was^

the Greeks didn't even believe in their religion like Christians do. They were more folk stories.

Fuck that germanic, she isnt cute at all

Titans came later, as the surrounding mythology of the Olympians was sorted out.

I'm certainly not an expert on the topic.
But I believe that the only time that the Olympians were not the primary religious focus of the ancient Greeks was during a brief period were hero cults exploded in popularity.

Then why did they spend tons of time, man power, and money building massive monuments to the gods?

>it's the guy who thinks ancient Europeans looked like Dominicans

L I T E R A L L Y

P E R F E C T

>the absolute state of Veeky Forums's music taste
I didn't know saccharine plastic songs with basic chord progressions constituted "good songwriting"

socrates was killed for professing atheism

I dont think, brainlet

>I dont think
We know.

Fuck you you anti semitransparent

At least I don't listen to music literally made for teenage girls.

Of course they did. It just wasn't like the codified abrahamic religions of today. Animism and folk religion played a big part in ancient Greek life, as well as worshipping the main pantheon of the Olympians. There were festivals, mysteries and ceremonies that were observed by all.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenian_festivals
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnea
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleusinian_Mysteries

Socrates was condemned to death, for, amongst other things, not professing the STATE gods, but he certainly was not an atheist, as you dimly claim. What philosophy has become is far removed from what it used to be, and that is very much entwined in belief in a deity or logos. Socrates: "... surely it is allowed and even proper to pray to the gods so that my transfer of dwelling [met-oikēsis] from this world [enthende] to that world [ekeîse] should be fortunate. So, that is what I too am now praying for. Let it be this way.”

>socrates is an atheist
>this is what fedorafags want to believe

>Source: Your ass

But that's wrong. Socrates repeatedly refers to "God" or "The Gods" and their stories in Plato's dialogues

Atheism at that time meant "something contrary to the state religion." In his own words Socrates communicated with God and said so as much. Accordingly he thought himself on a mission from God.

>Atheism at that time meant "something contrary to the state religion."

There was hardly such a thing as "state religion", but more or less correct. However I don't see a problem why shouldn't ᾰ̓́θεοι be called atheists, even today irreligious people are refered to as atheists.

Currently taking a Greek mythology class in uni, can shed some light on this.

Titans were more of an after the fact story, made to represent some natural forces on Earth, they were just part of the line of succession from Cronos taking down Uranus to Zeus taking down Cronus. The olympians we’ve all heard of today were the main group of gods that that were worshipped as they were the ones in power so to speak.

This is false as shown by another user, there were a multitude of festivals throughout the year where they worshipped the gods and had daily worship as well. Even worshipped some heroes from Greek myth as well.

Too add on to my post this user is right in a way that the Greeks did not have a singular holy text that would be comparable to the Bible, most of the tradition was orally passed down through generations.
And here are some examples of devotion to the gods from the ancient Greeks as detailed out by this user.

>ᾰ̓́
Just type άθεοι my god. Don't be such a tryhard m8. It looks horrible with 100% correct pronounciation rules

Just to agree and add to this user's post, Christians were described as atheists by the Romans during early Christianity.

Copypasting from random text, lad. Don't be such a nitpick.

I want Tay Tay gf.

I didnt know Socrates spoke English

there are plenty of cheap imitators of Taylor Swift, if you are prepared to tolerate a shallow materialistic whiny bitchy gf

I know.
Taylor and some of her songs are just image of what mysthical perfect gf would be like.
Don't know what she really is like irl, probably shallow celebrity whore like the rest.

Fucking autist

Taylor's vocal melodies are based

I read it in Edith's Mythology

>taytay looks pretty even without makeup
our Pennsylvanian goddess

fuck our academia

I don't see how she can come to that conclusion. There were plenty of devout pagans going by history. Anyways, early Christians weren't considered religious by pagans, they were referred to as superstitious only least going by the terms pagan writers used.

F

>28 years old

I'm actually surprised she hasn't crashed and burned yet. Previous generation of starlets (Britney, Aguilera, Hilton, whoever) were all well past their prime at that point of their careers. Bonus points for drugs, arrests and divorces.

Believe me, we know.

>impliying Socrates was a real person and no Plato alterego ....

?

>Did the Greeks worship the Titans before the Olympians, or were the Titans just backstory that was created after the fact?
Neither. Most indo-european religions have some kind of dual divine tribes so something like Olympians and Titans probably existed before there were Greeks to worship them. Either way, the Titans were always part of Greek religion, but they were never worshipped.

this is what monocuckists actually believe

If right pic had freckles OMG that would be too cute.

Who new album is pretty good, I have the leaked audio files. Just wish she would do a throwback album to her more country days, I'd sat it's about time

>but they were never worshipped.
Do you know why? Prometheus did a lot for us and he was a titan

There's a good chance that some of the Titans were worshipped by rival groups or people and what we know is just one biased side of the story. Kind of like how the Minotaur story has two versions. The main land version most of us know and the Obscure Crete version.

Agnostics aren’t atheists

Obscure Crete version pls

>I dont think
First time you said something smart.

>Do you know why? Prometheus did a lot for us and he was a titan
I should probably elaborate. Individual titans probably were prayed to/thanked/given offerings. In fact I'm pretty sure there are venerations to titans in the Orphic hymns. But the Olympians as a whole were recognised as the kings of heaver and the primary gods. Why? I would speculate that it's simply how the story was told in Greece.

It seems that the Olympian/Titan split is the same thing as the Deva/Asura, Aesir/Vanir and other splits in IE mythologies.

There is linguistic evidence that this split was already in proto-IE culture, and that in general Divine was associated with celestial, civilised or intellectual phenomenon where as Asurans were associated with chthonic, primordial or earthly ones.

IIRC this talks about it but it's been a while

tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00437956.1993.11435902

True, this also happened in indo-Aryan religions. In Hinduism Devas are the "good" ones and Asuras are bad. In Zoroastrianism Ahuras are good and Devas are bad.

Deva is the same root as deus and divine

Many of the titans were indeed worshipped, even into classical antiquity. Helios, for example.

Are you telling me they built stuff like this for folk stories?

The titans as a concept came after the mythos of the olympians was established, but more than a few older religions were interpretated by the ancient greeks as cults of the titans, like Rhea.

is that taylor swipht