It's over lads

jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2520627
A 37 year epidemiological study of over 100,000 people in Denmark have found that there is no increased risk of mortality in overweight people; the data seems to suggest there is actually a lower mortality rate in the overweight when compared to people with a BMI of less than 25. Maybe HAES was right all along and we're being stitched up by the diet industry. By getting Veeky Forums we're actually killing ourselves

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413114000655
hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/obesity-study/
abc.net.au/radionational/programs/healthreport/change-in-body-mass-index-(bmi)-associated-with-lowest-mortality/7417938
marksdailyapple.com/higher-bmi-and-mortality-risk-calories-when-meal-skipping-hiit-after-fasting/#axzz490aRDXya
sci-hub.cc/
bmj.com/content/bmj/353/bmj.i2156.full.pdf
bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2433
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're going to have to post more than one study, pal.

Who cares

I don't want to be a fatass so I can look good and be able to perform basic activities

It's going to be a while before studies that cost millions of dollars and take decades to perform can confirm the data but you have to be pretty bone-headed to dismiss a study as large as this in a very reputable journal with pretty iron-clad methodology

BMI is not a good factor for obesity.

Old news. Literally only Veeky Forums-tier boards don't believe it.

If you need some other info: The Swiss recently proves that in the Middle Ages, people were at least overweight on average.

But hey, who cares. Squats and oats, right? lol. Well, okay, oats are actually good.

Yeah man, all those high BMI fatties in the study were secretly bodybuilders.

>Maybe HAES was right all along and we're being stitched up by the diet industry.
Yes.

>By getting Veeky Forums we're actually killing ourselves
Probably not. Well, depends.

>Doesn't measure morbidity
>Doesn't measure deviation from ideal weight, just "overweight" or not
Gr8 b8 m8

Slightly overweight , but cardiovascularly healthy old people recover from illness better than skinny old people, because they have stores to fall back on. This gives a mild protective effect. This is well documented as fuck.

Its still just one study. One point of data, any wild conclusion could be generated from it. If say two more studies confirmed this one then maybe there's some merit. (Maybe.)

>I am scientifically illiterate
Oh man. Americans...

My BMI is 28 and BF15%, I just look thick.

Guys can easily be healthy at 25-30bmi if they lift hard.

mortality is set in stone, we all have 100% risk of mortality.
fuck those clickbait fatceptance articles

>clogged up arteries
>fucked up knees
>can't walk more than 10feet to the next mobility scooter
>RR of 180/100 while relaxing
>diabeetus
>lol we're healthy tho a single study said so and I'll disregard everything that feels bad and the fact that statistics show otherwise or what every other study in this regard says because they don't support my beliefs.

fatties are worse than ISIS

Old news, but sure to get a rise out of /fat/.

tl;dr:
>Skinny = unhealthy
>Normal = ok
>Bit chubby = best
>Obese = unhealthy

You realize where you are, right?

Pretty much this, except you can also just be muscly and have a bit of fat to counteract any daily/chronic stressors that would otherwise fuck up a skinny person.

Fatties still unhealthy.

>fatties are worse than ISIS
Histrionic /fat/ is best /fat/ :D

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413114000655

>Low-protein, high-carbohydrate diets are associated with the longest lifespans

>However, diets with low protein:carbohydrate ratios were also associated with some characteristics usually considered to be associated with poorer health outcomes, such as increased body fat with reduced body lean (Figure 5B) and fatty liver (Figure S5). These paradoxical results are consistent with some human epidemiological studies that indicate that in old age there is a diminution, or even reversal, of the association between these risk factors and outcomes such as remaining life expectancy (Le Couteur and Simpson, 2011).

This is a perfect response honestly. If you guys are gonna say you're lifting for health you're blowing smoke up my ass. We don't want to be fat because it's fucking disgusting. I want to be able to play with my kids and not look like absolute shit. I want to wipe my ass like a functional human being, and run, and swim, and ride a bike. Even if you're right, I'd rather die a sick cunt than a fucking fat lard.

wew lad, rationalizing this hard.

I would bet my life savings that you're a fat fuck who is doing the very thing you accuse me of doing right now, rationalizing your shitty choices and looking for approval from a Taiwanese paper mache forum.

Isn't he correct, though? Being fat is disgusting, seeing yourself in a mirror when your body is covered in a thick layer of fat is disgusting.
If you see a kid that isn't fat himself, but has fat parents, he is often ashamed in public. I don't want to be my kid ashamed of me because I couldn't put the fork down.

>Even if you're right, I'd rather die a sick cunt than a fucking fat lard.

Same. We are all gonna make it, brah.

>Not being over 25 BMI

DYEL

>uses BMI as a 'legitimate' health measure
gonna stop you right there, buddy.

Bullshit. You never see an obese octogenarian.

Means a lot m8. I'm just trying to be here for my family. My dad was a fat fuck and I never looked up to him, his body reflected his lifestyle. If my kids look up to the person I became through lifting then I have truly made it in my mind.

> not understanding peer reviews
> being this retarded

bearmode it is then

It's worth noting at this point that Denmark has some of the lowest life-spans in the western world.

26.75-27 bmi is obese?

Because it's population has lower bmi's than somewhere like america

Did you notice how Americans and Danish people both tend to die sooner than everyone else?

Is Russia really that low? Or is it just a mean with the amount of people that are located in RUssia? Where is India or China on this scale?

Of course Russia is that low. They're alcoholics with HIV. Russia is an extremely shitty country, for a lot of reasons.

Did you pay to see the full paper? I'd be interested in any graphs and charts included. My cheap ass university only pays for Jstore.

'Except for cancer mortality, the association of BMI with all-cause, cardiovascular, and other mortality was curvilinear (U-shaped). The BMI value that was associated with the lowest all-cause mortality was 23.7'

Isn't this saying apart from cancer the lowest mortality rate was seen in the 'healthy weight' part of BMI?

I thought this was interesting too. It's well noted that being overweight can significantly increase the risk of getting cancer. I get why they didn't include this variable, but I think it may have affected the study adversely.

Also shit totally missed your pint, yes 23.7 would be considered normal weight.
Have we been arguing about a study that doesn't even tell us anything we didn't already suspect?

>23.7
that was only for 1976-1978 cohort.

For 2003-2013 it was 27.0, which is slightly overweight.

It's pretty obvious that BMI would have a limited relevance to health (especially cardiovascular) health.
Heard a really skinny girl come off a hockey pitch saying 'I'm not built for cardio'. She would be considered 'healthy' if you considered just her appearance but the reality is she probably does relatively little fitness.

Ignoring the morbidly obese it's easily possible to reasonably healthy at higher weights, i.e. you can have visible fat below the skin but if you still do plenty of exercise you'll be okay and visa versa.

Why do asians live so long then?

honestly if you're a physically working healthy male you're almost bound to be overweight
having some decent leg and upper body muscle plus somewhere between 15 and 20 percent bodyfat is going to land you around 26 or 27 BMI

>Hong Kong
You fucking 'Murican scum learn some geography

BMI does correlate with health to a certain degree but there are so many far more important factors than weight. An overweight person who eats a lot of 'good food' and exercises regularly is going to be far healthier than someone at a 'healthy' weight who eats shit, smokes and does no exercise.

I would have liked to see this study taking the bodyfat percentage of the participants. Even if BMI is reliable for most people, there is potential for outliers that could in fact skew the data.

hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/obesity-study/

Studies like OP's have been BTFO repeatedly by a simple thing every person who knows just a little bit about research methodology: confounding variables. FA,proponents don't take these extremely important confounds into consideration. The study OP cited has the same fatal methodological flaws as all other "studies" before.

Tl;dr--fatties cannot into research methodology.

High test is the best

>b...b..but muh bmi isn't important
>uses study that uses bmi to justify obesity
>t...t..take that, fit people!

extremely valid points.

>ignores snokers in the group
>ignores people who are at a higher bmi due to high muscle mass
>doesn't control for people with eating disorders
Yeah, that study is your """"""proof"""""". Why do fatties keep citing shitty studies like this?

You have been programmed by the media to be ashamed if you are slightly overweight or "fat". It is not cool to be a landwhale, who has diffculty breathing while just sitting still.

I am talking about guys like you who get depressed when they can't see their abs, because the media told you seeing your abs means you are "healthy" and "strong", hopefully you already know that the opposite is true. Having fat around your midsection is good for you, makes you stable and actually stronger to carry your kid and play with them.

TLDR: I am not talking about being obese, if you don't have cuts and definition on your body doesnt make you unable to swim, dance, run or whatever else you want to do.

>she will live forever
H I G H T E S T

>I'd rather die a sick cunt than a fucking fat lard.
Fuck yeah brah. We're all going to make it.

Surely you don't mean to say that one of the most prestigious ivy league schools in the world has a counter point to some random paki PhD about research methodology. There is no way that this one specific study meant to fuel OPs thread could possibly be inaccurate.

Reminder that froot and veg are carbs
Reminder that "protein" for these people means a 75/25 1/2 lb burger on a white bun with sugared ketchup and orange oily "cheese".

>implying most Veeky Forums people don't have the BMI of an obese people

>implying they didn't just throw Veeky Forums and fat people together

If you have to clarify how overweight then shouldn't the headline be that there is no increased risk of mortality in only the midly overweight? It's hella misleading.

I just finished listening to an interview with one of the people who conducted the study (ABC Radio National: The Health Report). To paraphrase, "We have discovered a correlation, but have yet to understand what it truly means. It may be related to us better managing the morbidity of people with a higher BMI than back in the 70s."

Wait, what? Hong Kong? That's like saying that Siberia is not part of Russia.. Hong Kong is a part of China but the study doesn't count it as a whole.

abc.net.au/radionational/programs/healthreport/change-in-body-mass-index-(bmi)-associated-with-lowest-mortality/7417938

Here you go. Proper citation.

I'd rather die with the body of a god than live as a fucking whale

Pretty solidly explained in marksdailyapple.com/higher-bmi-and-mortality-risk-calories-when-meal-skipping-hiit-after-fasting/#axzz490aRDXya

tldr you have to account for smokers and those with chronic illness, both of which make people thinner and kill them

Who wants to live forever anyway? I'd rather live an amazing 60 years than a shit tier 90.

>cites a study that controls for common death factors in skinner people
>blows fatties TFO with better controls and methodology
Fatties will completely ignore this due to their confirmation biases.

>you're blowing smoke up my ass.
I'll blow something else up your ass ;)

>belieiving people who can't even get gf
lol

>believing people who can't lose weight

>My BMI is 28 and BF15%, I just look thick.

>hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/obesity-study/
You cannot be serious. Is this what counts as science in America? Holy fucking shit.

>It is also noteworthy that the vast majority of the deaths in this study occurred among people who were aged 70 and older at the time their BMI was measured. Weight loss due to chronic disease and loss of muscle mass is common in the elderly, making it problematic to estimate excess mortality due to overweight and obesity. For example, overweight or obesity at age 45 may cause diabetes to develop at age 55, which can lead to a heart attack at age 65, heart failure and weight loss due to incapacity and muscle wasting at age 70, and finally death at age 75. If one looks only at the relationship between BMI and mortality starting at age 70, there would appear to be a link between underweight and mortality, when in fact the earlier overweight or obesity led to the death. Thus, guidelines for healthy weights are most reliable when based on BMI measures in persons younger than age 70 or 75.

Assumptions everywhere. You guys are really unable to admit you're wrong and to make it even funnier, YOU ARE THE FAT GUYS HERE. Invent some more "facts", please.

>Posting Sergei Badyuk
Moy tovarish'!

Yeah, but that's not what people want to hear is it?
They want to be absolved of any responsibility for their own behaviour, and told they can do whatever they want without consequence.

>jama.jamanetwork.com

Sounds legit.

>athletic
>average bodytype
>frequent smoker
>athletic

ATHLETIC

>The Journal of the American Medical Association
>peer reviewed
>Started in the 19th century
>impact factor of over 35
But some guy on Veeky Forums thinks it isn't legit

In case anyone is interested in actually reading it, just paste the link to the study on sci-hub.cc/

ITT delusional fatties justify looking like shit.

Obesity still most deadly.

Interesting that there were ZERO underweight people in study.

Also As a tall person 18.6 or bottom end of normal weight would look skeletal on me. Perhaps the scale just needs to shift a few points as the average human gets taller?

Probably bad metodology. This norwegian study contradicts this by accounting for other factors: bmj.com/content/bmj/353/bmj.i2156.full.pdf
Also commented on by BMJ: bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2433

op's link isn't the full paper?

>Further investigation is needed to understand the reason for this change and its implications.

I'm going to go ahead and conjecture that it's not because obesity is actually good for your long-term health.

For every aberrant study that seems to show a positive effect of BMI on longevity, there are 2 showing the opposite.

ukraine pls go

They meant overweight, not 400lbs goddesses, OP.

Isn't Denmark's academia filled with SJWs and HAES activists?

I've been saying the same thing for years.

There is no scientific consensus that being overweight causes more death. Sure, certain HABITS are deadly but not being fat itself.

proper nutrition and regular exercise will never be bad for you

Clearly you don't know what a peer review is considering that has nothing to do with what anyone's talking about.

But to go to valhalla one must die an honerable death, and that means not being a fat DL peice of shit

Dumbass

An interesting perspective that is missing from the article, though perhaps not the study, is the increase in health care for the overweight and obese which may contribute to overall reduction in mortality. This would be exaggerated further in a country with good socialized healthcare like Denmark. For example, overweight and obese people would be more likely to see a doctor more frequently, have more blood tests and more physical examinations, which could contribute to them receiving preventative and mediating health care that people with fewer obvious health risks may miss due to their reluctance to go to the doctor for a check up, and their infrequent visits for "cause".
Think of it this way; fatty goes to the doctor because of chest pains or joint pains or headaches or fatigue (all documented health problems for the overweight) and subsequently finds out she has cancer, or her kidneys are having problems, or her liver is in need of some work or care.
Meanwhile, a fit person with no symptoms of cancer has it for 8 months before any signs show up, and tries to tough it out for another 2-4 months before finally seeing a doctor a year later, when the cancer has advanced to an untreatable, or less treatable stage.

I don't give a shit. I want to die anyways. My death drive is much more powerful than my will to live. I'll get to Valhalla

I'm reading the paper now. I'm an epidemiologist with a degree in biology and M.P.H. focused on Epi. So far what has caught my eye is that the paper adjusted for plasma cholesterol being a potential confounded, deciding that it is not included in the causal pathway between obesity and mortality, like diabetes. Does this seem strange to anyone, or is plasma cholesterol unrelated to obesity? I'm not a physician or nutritionist and I haven't gotten to searching for other papers yet.

Being fat causes those conditions that make mortality more likely. You are confusing causes.

>american science
>legit
pick one or none at all

So to translate
>If you take away what makes being fat bad, being fat isn't bad.
?

>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH TAKE THAT YOU FIT PEOPLE! A CORRELATION (WHICH I CONSTANTLY BITCH ABOUT WHEN A CORRELATION IS AGAINST ME)! WHO CARES ABOUT THE FATAL METHODOLOGICAL FLAWS THAT WOULD TEAR DOWN THE ENTIRE STUDY (ESPECIALLY HOW WE BITCH ABOUT BMI NOT BEING A VALID MEASURE!!) SO FUCK YOU SHITLORDS!!!

Kind of. They're trying to control for cofounders like smoking. If a fat person dies of cardiac disease it could be because they're fat or because of the smoking or both, so they adjust for those variables. In this paper, they adjusted for plasma cholesterol and history cardiac illness which both seem a little iffy to me. Other than that the methods are solid. I haven't fins über reading their interpreptaion of the results yet though.

From reading the abstract I can't come to the same conclusion as you, can you explain? What exactly do you mean by "overweight" in the study's context?

if you don't have definition in your body or any muscle mass from living a sedentary lifetsyle, running, swimming and dancing are going to be significantly more difficult. i won't even bother addressing the "fat on my stomach makes me more stable" comment kek

Read the study again until you get it. Americans...