Bench press thread

can we get a bench press thread

i have so many questions for this lift because its been giving me the most trouble

do i approach the lift at eye level?

how the fuck do i keep my back shoulder blades pinched the whole work out?

do i tense my core for the whole set?

where should my feet be?

should i actively be spreading my chest during the decline portion?

where should my grip be relative to my shoulders?

do i touch chest?

do i lock out my arms at the top?

fuck this lift is so complicated Veeky Forums help a shitter out

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4T9UQ4FBVXI
stronglifts.com/bench-press/
fitsticky.com/starting-strength
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

cmon Veeky Forums

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

You're over thinking it

>retract scapula
>arch back
>grip at a natural width
>feet on the floor
>don't flare your fucking elbows

Try just feeling the lift and don't over think it

are you trying to build an ego or a chest

if you want a chest get a semi close grip and squeeze the boobs as much as you can

also you should add to your program

learn 2 google x F

anything to help with stabilizing the bar?

i get kinda wobbly which fucks up my form

i need some mental cues to help me out, i know for deads i need to keep the bar over midfoot and just 'push the ground away'

whats my mental cue for bench pressing?

this

but if you want a bunch of info then go to stronglifts.com/bench-press/

btw, are you asking all these questions because you don't get chest DOMS? i've seen that a lot, people think they're doing it wrong because they never get sore pecs

deload

if your all wobbly it means you cant handle the weight

Watch layne norton's video about it + the rippetoe video user posted before.

>are you asking all these questions because you don't get chest DOMS?

nah im asking these because my form is shit and its preventing me from adding weight

Here's how I improved my bench
1. Once you grab the bar arch your back as much as you can and then keep your shoulder blades and ass on the bench
2. When you lift off, really focus on keeping your back pinched, imagine holding coins between your shoulder blades
3. Keep you elbows 45 degrees to your ribs on the way down
4. When you push up, press your feet into the ground while you squeeze your chest to move the bar up
Also try out different foot positions, I like mine farther back than most

are you breathing correctly?

fuck im thinking about dedicating an entire gym session just to getting my bench press form down

What if you're trying to activate tris more than chest? Wide grip?

Also DB bench here, more fun

i dont think so

im supposed to breathe in at the top and hold it down to my chest then exhale on my way up right?

not OP, but i've always had trouble keeping that form as the weight travels down, but it kicks in as soon as i go to push it off my chest. not sure if it's a problem, though

im pretty sure you just retract your shoulder blades to bring it down instead of mentally pulling it

I don't have the same problems, but here are some issues I had with it. Bench used to terrify me, now I don't mind it.

Bar about flush to the top of your eyeline
Get your feet on the bench to help you get on your traps and arch your back.
Shrug your shoulders, then pull them back to retract the scapula. Then squeeze that hard as you grab the bar
Find your distance for hand width. For me this is my pinkies beside that little line.
Don't put your hands fully square on the bar. Have it angled down almost into your palm. This will save your wrists.
Dig your heels into the floor and push when you're pushing up.
Don't lower it straight down, lower it towards your nipples almost then raise it straight up over your shoulders.

I think that's it. Also touch your chest and lockout. I'd focus more on getting the bar up and down rather than flexing your tits. And if you're shaking badly and your bar path is terrible, lower the weight

Read the SS book for benching tips.
The lift isn't complicated, you're over thinking it.
You literally push and thats it.

Really dumb question incoming.
Been here for years, have ran and dieted thanks to Veeky Forums, but have never lifted since the only nearby gym has only 2 bench presses and one smith machine.
Is it worth going there even though my squats and such will be subpar? Are deadlifts possible on a smith machine or am I kidding myself?

deadlifts? on a smith machine? wut

All you need for deadlifts is a bar and plates, so if they have a bench press, that'll do, just take the bar off of the benchpress.

Yeah I worded that like a retard. They have no place to do deads so my question was would I be able to do it really close to the smith machine since that's the only rubber mat available.

If there's space. can't judge without a picture. Either way, you can do deadlifts anywhere, just don't slam the bar down that hard. or bring your own mat. Or use two of those yoga mats, I guess, if they have them.

Thanks m8.
Biggest problem with trying to lift the past couple years is a shit gym and having to do it by myself, but I rather get some gains than no gains.

You could also buy a barbell + some plates and work out at home. Not much you need other than a barbell really, although a squat rack is really helpful.

Or try to find a different gym

Watch rippetoes bench press videos

No room and at uni so no money, but I've thought about it. I have a small dilapidated building which I have a small bench in it thought.
The bench itself is really unstable, the bar is one of those small cheap ones, but I have been thinking about buying some weights for it. I would have to leave to step outside to do anything that involves lifting it above my body though due to the low roof.

What

M8 no. Inhale on the way down. hold your breath on the way up. Exhale at the top. Repeat.

I started working out (from complete inactive average weight) two months ago. 3-4 times a week.

I've made great progress on various dumbbell exercises, doubling what I could do when I started..

But I am just having pathetic progress on the bench press. I can take the olympic bar, but add much more than 5 kg to it and I won't be getting a full set. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Also I have this issue that I can't keep my right shoulder all the way back when it gets tough.

I'm considering doing presses with dumbbells in stead.

close grip for tris, you should really feel it

anything you could possibly need to know is presented here

desu I recommend skipping to 7:26
Most of the stuff at the beginning is just talking about random shit.

Probably too wide of a grip and not bringing the bar near the nipples.

This sounds like you haven't read or even watched a single tutorial. All of your questions are basic and are addressed by pretty much every fitness person on youtube. Rippetoe has an extensive how to video on bench pressing. Why not go watch that before starting a shitty thread?

oh im sorry, I thought this was a fitness board

Poor little child. You aren't smart enough to comprehend tge fact that you have misspelled your entire sentence. If anyone us worse or lower than humans that would be you and your failed attempt at Grammar and sarcasm. Yiu insolent fool. What kind of being are you to even be making yourself look" cool" when in reality you are scared and are quivering because you aren't able to even shut anyone up. The most possible logic i have is this. You never put others down which made you a pathetic low scum, when you're a pathetic scum you have no friends or girlfriend and when that happens you resort to last thing you call "fitness" it really is humorous.

How much did you guess start off bench pressing when you started?

I haven't started working out and I'm pretty sure I can only do the bar ;-;

Just test the weights. More info on: fitsticky.com/starting-strength

There's nothing wrong with starting with just the bar if you're not strong enough, though.
You'll gain strength quickly on a good program (and eating well).

I started with 50kg, but I was fairly fit before I started benching.

I don't think that's a 27 kg bar breh

The collars are 5kg, and there are small shiny chrome 1.25kg plates between the collars and the red ones.

that is so fucking ridiculous. I feel kinda strong with around 120-130kg (estimated) 1RM bench, and if I can ever get to 180kg in my "career" I would be really happy. there's no way I'm ever getting 227.5kg, and even if I did that guy would still bench 100 fucking kg more than me.

Check the weight category of these guys :') Also, Kirill

yeah, I know

>tfw mediocre lifter
>tfw mediocre mathematician
>tfw no special talent for anything

start at a lower weight and get used to the lift
also do reps slower

you should do it
spending one hour to get your form on point for an excersize you will be doing the rest of your life is worth it

I've been going to the gym actively for nearly half a year now. I've increased in every exercise except benching. Still only able to do 40kg, when I'm 60kg 171cm. Probably just my techinque, but I do it just like it's supposed to according to the help posted here.