What happens if I lose my phone with 2FA on it?

what happens if I lose my phone with 2FA on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

authy.com/features/backup/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Protip: you can save the picture with the qr code.

back up your auth code my friend

you use your 2FA private key to restore it on a new phone.

you did write down your 2FA private key, right?

you lose it all.. its happened to me. back up your private keys for each 2FA

You should have went on Google account before hand and copied down the 10 one time use codes. If you didn't do that idk what to tell you

if negros try to take it you fight to the death

This happened to me. Gotta talk to customer service and verify a bunch of info and they'll reset your account to no 2fa

which one was that again? it's been a while

what google account

when you type or scan the qr code into your authenticator

i got one with bittrex but not with my other crypto account... is that normal?

you were supposed to write down your 2fa keys when you enabled it. if you didn't, then get phone -> disable 2fa -> enable 2fa -> write down code. then you can lose phone with no problem.

dude a code shows up when you enable 2fa for the first time. if you don't have it, then lose your phone, you're permanently fucked.

does that code apply to all 2fa or just the one pass?

are you fucking retarded?
google 2FA is local to your fucking phone only, do you REALLY think its a one fucking code for all of them, like its saved to the fucking cloud or some shit?
that would COMPLETELY fucking be against the point of 2FA in the first place
holy SHIT you're a fucking retard
I'm selling all of my crypto, this stupid nigger is the top. He CANNOT win.
It's been a fun year, the newfags are just too fucking stupid now.

then why didn't I get a private key for my other account

Fuck i actually just did this last night, they told me to back up the key but i didnt, what the fuck theres no other way of getting it? Fucking autisim please help

you can turn it off if you have your phone

Just deactivate it and set up a new one.

WHUT?

When you enable 2fa on bittrex, you get a qr code and a corresponding 16 digit key. you have to write down this key or keep the qr code. when you've written it down, you enter it into google authenticator, then google authenticator generates a new 6 digit code every 2 minutes. now you can lose your phone or uninstall google authenticator if you still have the 16 digit key.

if you don't have the 16 digit key, but you still have the code in your phone, then you can disable 2fa on bittrex, enter the 6 digit code from your phone, then reenable 2fa and this time write down the 16 digit key.

if you don't have the 16 digit key and you don't have your phone, you're fucked, or maybe you can contact bittrex support.

yes user its just 1 private key I was just joshing you
go ahead and only record that one key and when you get a new phone just type in that password and your entire 2FA will be loaded into your new phones 2FA
I highly recommend you keep most of your funds on your second account, the one you did not receive a key for, it's like a "second layer" safe, thats why you didnt get a key for it

(don't do this)

stop making our user so nervous, it's fine

you nigger, i just changed my 2FA from scratch
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>2017
>not tattoing ur secret phrase on ur asscheeks for maximum security in terms of both not losing it and not getting it leaked

U guys deserve to lose all ur money

>Tattoos don't fade over time.
>He isn't engraving his pupils to be able to see his passwords.
>Never making it.

Use Authy instead of Google Authenticator, problem solved forever.

>input your keys into my app, problem solved forever... :^)

Instead of putting your keys into another jew app?

Nothing will happen if you lose your phone with 2FA on it
> get a new phone

>tfw I didn't save my keys and I'm doing it right fucking now.

good job user :)
we're gonna make it

Thanks for the reminder OP.

For all those using Google Authenticator, makes sure you got your secret keys and QR code saved somewhere. If not you can use Authy with your Google Authenticator 2FA, and Authy has an auto Backups feature in case you lose your phone!

I'm getting a new phone in the next month and have been using Authy for a few months now. Since it's backed everything up on other devices does that mean I can toss out my current phone, the "base" phone without losing anything after syncing up my new phone with Authy?

authy.com/features/backup/
how secure is this really?

if i get a new 2fa for bitrex, do i have to get a new one for all other exchanges?

Disable 2FA and enable them again and write down the codes this time.

no
as long as you have all the keys you're fine

I recieved a notification that someone was trying to access my email, i take it they entered the wrong password. If they access my account they can change my blittrex password. Am i in danger if i have f2a on a seperate phone?

I just reset all 3 of my 2fa to get those codes. Thanks bros.

i am afraid a nigger is gonna steal my phone
i keep all funds in paper wallet

this
I have like 12 qr codes printed out and laminated

Make sure you have the IP security feature enabled on bittrex. If a different IP logs in, it will require you to follow a link from your e-mail address.

Makes it pretty hard for someone to get into your account unless they have your email address password + your phone.

We need to have regular information and awareness threads on stuff like this. Apparently a lot of people forget to do this stuff.

We need to help our fellow anons keep their crypto safe.

Phone died, two months later I am still locked out of my polo account. Its terrible.

Agreed. Have a bump because you speak the truth. This thread is very useful.

>mfw nexus 5x bootlooped
>saved codes, but forgot where I put them during my moment of panic
>bittrex + quadrigacx + polo
I was fucking sweating, I did the freezer trick to get my phone powered on long enough to turn off 2FA. Ended up finding my printouts in a random box hidden away. KEEP ALL YOUR SHIT SAFE ANONS, BACK UP EVERYTHING.

On bittrex you can reset your 2FA

Once I couldn't turn on my phone anymore so I did that until my phone was fixed

You just have to prove it's you by taking photos with your IDs

Don't store your coins on an exchange and create a new account if necessary

Use Authy

Looks like I have to buy a printer. I wouldn't want to print my codes at a library

Just reset and saved codes for polo, bittrex, binance, and yobit
thanks anons

Your home printer has some sort of rudimentary memory feature that isn't accessible to consumers. It's to be used by forensics teams to match a printed document to a printer.

Kek thanks to this thread i may not kill myself or fight to death for my phone in case of robbery, i love you anons this is a beautiful community