Is Planet Fitness that bad? There's one right up the road from where I live...

Is Planet Fitness that bad? There's one right up the road from where I live, otherwise I would have to take a 20 minute drive to Club Fitness. I plan on going around twice a week

Go more than twice a week.
As far as equipment and shit it's pretty much the same as any other gym but the atmosphere is terrible. Lots of fatties and old people. "Judgement-free zone! :^)" You can prolly still make gains regardless of what gym you go to, just skip "pizza day"

Well, to start off it will be around twice a week. After I warm up to it I can see going three-four times a week.

You'll probably be fine if you're not gonna do any hippy shit in there

I like PF. It's convienent and 24 hours. All the ones I've been to are very clean. Old sweaty dudes at 2am are kinda annoying but for $10 a month, whatever

OP, whether or not you should be going there depends entirely on:

1. Current stats
2. What are your goals
3 What do you plan on doing while you are there

Answer those and we can tell you if it's worth it.

In some PF threads, I heard they don't have a squat rack. They only have the cable assisted one. One top of that, someone said they didn't allow him to deadlift because "its an ineffective exercise"

Dumbbells only go up to 60.

No bars, only Smith Machines. Usually only about 4 PL8S in the whole gym at a time

>$10/month for a 24/7 gym
Unless you're Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler, you'll be fine.

Not bein a dick but I've been in 3 planet fitness places and I've never seen this sign ever

Is it really only $10 a month or is there some kind of hidden fees?

Gf has a pass I use from time to time

>The power rack looking smith machines have a preset 10* rake on them.
>Bench press not vertical
>Squats shift several inches

I do leg presses and dumbell exercises there. It's a shame they preload the linear bearings instead of worry about the user

Omg no super setting lol

>dead lifts

Well it depends, from what I heard some have a squat rack and some of them don't. You would be pretty fucked if you were going to one without one as you will be forced to leg press for you main leg movement, other than that it should hold on for at least the first year of training.

>2x a week

Bait thread

From what I remember from when I had a membership at PF it's 29 to sign up and 10 a month plus 29 in October(at my place it was that month but it's a yearly fee).

They also have a 29 monthly membership with "perks" like being able to go to other PF facilities, and acress to tanning beds and massages which it looked like shit, and not worth it.

PF is alright, but the buzzer they fucking played when people at the weights made too much noise was startling and more of a nucissance than hearing the occasional grunt or hearing a weight hit the floor.

Just came back from uni and tried anet fitness.

>no bench press
>no squat racks
>no barbells
>lunk alarm
>all machines and cardio

If you can deal with this its worth it. If not avoid it

TRIGGERD

If they have a barbell, plates, dumbbells and a squatting rack, you're pretty much golden. The rest is fairly optional.

- A bench press is nice, but you can just do OHP or inclined bench press if they have inclined benches
- A power rack is nice but not really necessary
- Something to do dibs and pullups on would be nice, but if they don't have it, they'll have a lat. pull machine for sure (every gym has one of those)
- A DL platform would be nice, but you can just put the barbell down more softly

You can always make or buy some cheap additional equipment for home use to supplement what your gym doesn't have. Building e.g. some frame to do dibs on from wood takes like an hour. You can buy pullup handles that fit into your doorframe, etc.

If they don't have barbell + dumbbell I wouldn't become a member, those are absolutely essential IMO. And how2squat without squatting rack? I'm sure it's possible somehow, but might be unsafe.

Some PF don't care if you deadlift. It depends on the management.

>It's a judgment free zone!
>But if you grunt or drop weights, we'll set off this fucking alarm to shame you, you filthy meathead weightlifting lunk.

Yes, it fucking is. There is one 5 minutes from my house so sometimes I go there if I'm feeling too lazy to drive to my regular gym. The only fucking free weights is dumbells, they only go up to 60lbs and nobody fucking racks them. These mongols take them all over the gym doing squats or whatever the fuck they do and never put them back. You cannot make any type of noise. I was was doing reads on their Smith machine, 4pl8s each side from knee heigh. When I put the bar down that shit obviously makes some noise, I cant put 360lbs down gently. So one of their fat as fuck cashiers comes and tells me to please not slam the weights. The people that go to planet fitness have absolutely no fucking clue on what they're doing, shit form, shit routines, it's ridiculous. I see people there that have been hitting the gym for 3 years and they look exactly the fucking same. Decent looking bitches tho.

anybody else in the northeast go to Work Out World?

i pay fucking 99 bucks for a year membership, on the sale week. otherwise it's 120 for the year. they have dumbbells up to 95lbs, like 6 benches, 2 incline benches, 2 squat racks, a MP rack, a bunch of hammerstrength/cybex apparatuses, 2 cable stations.

i read yesterday that someone paid 110 a FUCKING MONTH for their gym. is that for real?

>mfw

I'm lucky that there are 2 in my area and the odd one doesn't have that many people on the regular between the hours of 1pm to 4pm and 6pm to 12am.

The other place is a fatty haven.

Kek I go at 2am 6 days a week and its homeless people and mega fat people.

golds gym is 99$/mo, but they are widely considered to be top-tier.

Planet Fitness is a JOKE. They won't let you do squats, deads, or bench. Drive 20 minutes to a real gym.

>Mfw basic-fit has more equipment in every one of their 150+ gyms
>€19,90 a month (train in any basic-fit gym, unlimited access)
>Or €24,90 a month if you want free drinks
>Or more if you want to train at set hours with a trainer/use the tanning beds (the retarded option)
>No bullshit rules
>Only rules are basically:
>No raping
>Have a towel nearby
>Don't drink from cans
>Don't yell all the time
First world countries are nice m8s. I pay €19,90 a month, I lift everyday, I drink a liter of delicious water with added nutrients everyday, I don't get judged for taking long-ass showers or for doing deadlifts, I get greeted by a 9/10 fit girl everyday if I go to the gym that's closest to my house, I can also get my gainz for the day if I'm away from home and there's a basic-fit gym.

KEK YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR A DRINK IN EURABIA LMAOOOOOO
Mate, move to a first world country and maybe you can talk about what they're like

> doesn't want to pay for their drinks

what are you, some sort of communist?

What do you do? Put a quarter into the fountain?

This guy has no idea what he's saying, OP.

1) PF is not like "most other gyms" when it comes to equipment. It is primarily stocked with cardio and isolation machines. Smith machines aplenty. There will be an area with benches and dumbells, which is where I hangout. I've heard one person say there's has a free barbell, but this is certainly an exception to the rule. If you're just starting out, their dumbbells will give you plenty to do.

2) The atmosphere isn't "terrible." PF is populated with people minding their own business and working, like anywhere else. Staff will sound the dumb alarm once in a while when a high school DYEL throws a dumbbell across the gym, but that's it.

Honestly, the only legitimate reason to not go to PF would be a need to use barbells.

At PF right now. Mine goes up to 75.

SUPA SET

I go to an Anytime Fitness because it's only one of two gyms in my town. It has only one fucking bench and bar and the whole thing is built for multiple exercises like BP, DL, squats, etc. One. Fucking. Rack.

That being said no one in my town works out since it's full of old people, niggers, and fatties. Sometimes I'll have the entire gym to myself.

How is that good enough?

Sounds an awful lot like my Anytime Fitness. Only one rack, one smith machine, and a fuckload of circuit machines.

Fortunately only like 1 or 2 other people actually use the rack, so I usually get it all to myself.

I train on my buddy's garage gym and we go to planet fitness for the pizza

What's a T-row? Bent-over row or a face pull or something else?

You're moving the goal posts. The claim was that PF only stocks dumbbells up to 60 lbs and I proved otherwise. Whether that's "good enough" is a separate question.
If you can't lift more than 75 lbs on a given lift, then mathematically it's good enough. Everyone starts somewhere.

What's a Google?

Who curls more than 75lb.

Never gonna make ig

Veeky Forums has always been infected with e-stat shitposters, but the last few days have been especially bad for some reason.

>every single person should be able to curl, incline press, OHP, bench, and bent over row with 75s on their very first day

Dumbbells are used for more than just curling, you know...

WEWLAD
E
W
L
A
D

>Judges
Irony

>thinking dumbells are only used for curling
>thinking any 75 pound dumbell used is automatically e stat territory

you are a dumb faggot. get out of here

Bent over rows brah

You pay an extra €5 a month and get unlimited access to a drink dispenser, all you need is a container for the drink, which they give you when you sign up.

The fuck are you on about? I listed a ton of exercises you can do with dumbbells, you stupid nigger.

I use 75s myself for certain exercises. Curling is not one of them.

God, reading this thread makes me SO glad I'm part of the homegym mustard race.

Though, the one other alternative isn't really that bad, it just tends to get cramped whenever there's more than 5 people in it.

>just skip pizza day
I heard that by eating pizza you become Chad.

>liter

fuck off

t. Someone who has never actually gone to planet fitness and just reads memes on the Internet

I understand deadlifts and rows (they probably don't have platforms).

Also, clean and jerk is just too dangerous to do in a busy gym, but...

No overhead presses! Wtf?

The only good thing is "no super setting"

>ounces or gallons or whatever
Fuck off.

>a need to use barbells.
You SAY you lift. But do you even?

>around twice a week
you're fucked from Jump Street. commit to something more than that or don't even bother. you'd be better off starting with a strict 3 days a week bodyweight routine done at home and/or walking your block than a "maybe twice a week" gym routine.

sup, Anytime Fitness brahs. yeah, we've got just two squat racks (half racks), no dedicated bench press, but it's a decent gym for the size and price. most people in my town go to Planet Fitness or the YMCA so it's never busy at Anytime. i've never had to wait or work in sets on the racks even when there are a lot of guys lifting. wish they offered more, but it's better than the alternatives.

> the only legitimate reason to not go to PF would be a need to use barbells

so, wanting to lift seriously is a legitimate reason to not go to PF

My pf only went up to 50lbs

They're just considered top tier because of "muh bodybuilding culture"
Fuck paying 100 dollars a month because arnie trained in one of their gyms 40 years ago
Lots of other gyms without all the bullshit

I do you dyel nigger

Would Planet Fitness be more worth it to a woman than man?

My town has a PF, LA Fitness, Golds, and World Gym, and I'm looking to start lifting. The most affordable monthly rates to me would be PF and LA Fitness, but I heard from friends who tried LA Fitness that it's basically a huge scam (they lie about a lot of their regulations I guess; at least at the one in my town).

The main reason I'm considering PF is that it would take longer for me to see progress than a man anyway, so the lower weight's wouldn't affect me as quickly, and it's much more affordable than other places.

So would it be worth it in my situation, or should I just save up for a while for a more expensive place?

>water jugs make you a meathead

Planet fitness actually says this

>citation needed

i switched from planet fitness to la fitness recently. It is way better in my opinion and I haven't had any issues there. Plus they actually have squat racks, bench press, and better equipment overall. If you have the money to go to a better gym then sure, but if you want to go somewhere cheap go to LA.

>Would Planet Fitness be more worth it to a woman than man?

Not to me, and I'm a woman

London?

Where the fuck would you deadlift? There are no barbells

They dont have a squat rack and the one I've been to only had those awful fixed barbells

Anytime Fitness here as well. How's it going gents? Mine has a single rack and a half rack, but given the light traffic at the hours I'm there, I pretty much have the whole place to myself 90% of the time. That makes up for the otherwise narrow equipment selection.