Why do lifeforms struggle to survive? What makes us want to live so badly?

Why do lifeforms struggle to survive? What makes us want to live so badly?
Is living/dying and being born just rules of this existence to give lifeforms some sort of meaning? These kind of questions are what keeps me up at night. Like, why do I have to live my life, and then just die? I don't understand the point in that.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l5bQUeSjlRU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The meaning of life is to continue life, that is to get married and have children and encourage them to do the same.

>The meaning of life is to continue life
But why? Why would we want to continue it?
Why did lifeforms happen? Where did lifeforms come from?
What makes a lifeform "living"? this could also be reworded to the question; what is dying? what "leaves" the body when we die? Do we really have a soul?

I often think the reason we struggle to survive is due to the fear of death.

Because our inherent will to survive is what ensures our continuation.
If we were not continuous, we wouldn't be here because we'd have died off.

This is the will of the Logos.

This
Also I believe through children one can live forever. To teach children all that you know and see them prosper is a better feeling that anything.

Because it would be unfeasible to have a lifeform survive that does not want to survive.

There needn't be some grander purpose.
We continue because continuity means we continue.
Those that don't continue, don't exist.

Don't forget being selective in reproduction terms, teach your children to do the same. And life will go on.

That sounds a bit empty desu. Non sentient animals aimlessly reproduce. There's got to be something better than "dude just have kids lmao". And besides, so many people have kids and don't even give a shit about them, look at how many single mothers there are nowadays. Did they succeed at life then? What about the missing fathers, would you say they also succeeded?

Absolutely
Well of course not, those people are broken. Repeating the mistakes of those before them.
Play stupid games win stupid prizes ad infinitum, unless they really try to break that cycle and lead a traditional life. Breaking tradition has never led to anything good.

The ones alive today descend from the ones that struggled to propagate and perpetuate themselves. Others, less vigorous, pop up, but they seldom last. You live because you inherited the drives that propeled your ancestors to hold on to this world and spawn you.

There is no point. Make up your own.

/thread
Everything else is romanticized sophistry.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

>But why? Why would we want to continue it?
To assign a meaning is same as assigning value or an aim - it is purely subjective atribute. To live is commit attrocious act of being alive. I know, scary.

OP here
Pretty unhappy with the answers ITT
Cmon Veeky Forums, you can do better than that.

Because alive beings are complex and need constant sources of external energy to keep the mechanism (body) going, this means they have a certain amount of enthalpy (potential energy). In order to keep a high level of enthalpy one needs to keep on consuming or adding external energy. This is the struggle for complex, alive beings: to keep on fighting the natural law that systems always move to a low amount of enthalpy and a high amount of entropy (ie dieing)

Okay, let me give you some opiniada.
There is a known dichtomy in onthology: subject and object. The one experiencing and the experienced. Experiencing and experienced can't be the same as one can exists without the other. A judge and convict is poor play when played by one person. What you are is what is left once you deprive yourself of any sensory data. Given that is all you are, you can't acknowledge yourself any inherently meaning or aim that resides within sensory reality. That is why you struggle: you apply atribute that is exclusively belonging to A while the one that it is aplied to is B while B is ourely transcendental.

Whether or not you're happy with the answer doesn't affect its validity.

The reason for our will to live, der Wille zur Macht, is because over billions of years of evolution those beings which had DNA that compelled them to struggle to live survived longer and reproduced more offspring.
It is the same reason we universally enjoy sex.
If there was some random genetic mutation that lead a person to not care about sex, or the dangers of that lion that is approaching then that human would never have lasted long enough, or cared enough, for passing on its genes.

The will to live isn't a deep philosophical question unless youre some christcuck who believes the earths 10,000 years old.

>Why do lifeforms struggle to survive?
So their modes of being endure. Perhaps to play some sort of role in nature.
>What makes us want to live so badly?
Could be different things, depending on one’s capacities. E.g. those with an: dominant reptilian complex - in order to dominate other lifeforms; advanced paleomammalian complex - to feel emotion, experience the good and the bad via fear/pain and pleasure; advanced neomammalian complex - to abstract and create.
>Is living/dying and being born just rules of this existence to give lifeforms some sort of meaning?
An aged lifeform has preconceived notions of what life is and finds it increasingly difficult to perceive it in a new light making it stubborn to change. A time comes when one’s potential is drained, and it’s time to step out of the way and allow for a fresh outlook on life, so we die and others are born.
>These kind of questions are what keeps me up at night. Like, why do I have to live my life, and then just die?
You happened to be born here, but you can literally jump ship whenever you want. Most choose not to because of instinctual drives, the fear of the unknown/care for loved ones, or the rationalization that something is greater than nothing.

Much better
I'll rest a bit easier tonight
Thanks Veeky Forums

>struggle to survive
The universe overall is a fairly inhospitable environment for life we see on Earth. From recent developments in the past couple centuries, that fragility that enables the life we're familiar with to thrive and prosper is coming more into light.

>why live
It's not something for someone to tell you, it's for yourself to figure out for the mentality of why you're living. Do you just want to experience stuff? Do you want to start a family? Maybe you want to do something that interests you. The reason to live for everyone can be the same, but ultimately is arrived upon through different means and experiences.

As to the actual physical reason you're living, your body doesn't want to die so it provides various signals from hunger, thirst, pain, and more to provide incentive to continue going and to ensure that you're able to propagate further.

Life is inherently without reason - it just so happened Earth has the right conditions for stuff like us to exist. Might as well take advantage of that and do stuff.

quite simple really
the creatures that didn't want to live or recreate didn't live to recreate
we're the descendants of 4 billion years worth of creatures that really REALLY wanted to fucking live and make kids

>Why do lifeforms struggle to survive? What makes us want to live so badly?
Dopamine and other neurotransmitters.

>These kind of questions are what keeps me up at night. Like, why do I have to live my life, and then just die?

That is the natural laws of the universe. Man's soul is naturally immortal but that has been robbed from much of mankind by the Jews and other monotheists playing God.

youtube.com/watch?v=l5bQUeSjlRU

Life is a gift. Do with it what you will knowing that one day you have to give it back.