How bad is your lower back supposed to hurt after deadlifts, if at all?

How bad is your lower back supposed to hurt after deadlifts, if at all?

I started deadlift in recently, and I just got done doing a set of 295 for 8 reps (no bully pls), and now my back feels like it's on fire and the muscles in my back directly parallel to my spine feel pumped up or swollen. I sat down for a couple minutes and now it just feels mildly sore. Is this good or bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5AzNMkq8wBU
youtube.com/watch?v=eZJFMy8IWHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jEy_czb3RKA
strongfirst.com/the-secret-to-instant-strength-gains/
youtube.com/watch?v=g70Jq2NjQwY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

your back is not supposed to hurt after deadlifts at all.

>I started deadlift in recently
>just got done doing a set of 295 for 8 reps

Geez trying to get run over by the express train to snap city?

You could have DOMS in your entire back, lower back included, but you shouldn't feel pain at all. Looks like you are on your way to snapcity

Fix your form

Your lumbar might feel a little tight or sore, but it should never hurt.

If it does end up hurting, it means you're carrying too much of the load with your back, which is VERY VERY BAD. You should be pushing through your legs, not lifting through your back.

Well I started deadlift in every week a couple months ago, idk if I'm progressing too quickly

What's snap city actually though, I mean what are the possible consequences if I am doing something wrong

If you've never used your spinal erectors for real, thats what it feels like. Take 4 days rest to make sure you didn't fuck with any ligaments.

The pain you're feeling is muscle body pain so you're fine.

Sharp pains are snap city.

And you just started and got to 295 x 8 sheesh.

This is why you go pretty slow with diddlys

Your intrabdominal pressure isn't as high as it needs to be. or you're blowing your air out on top.

Also slow the lift down seconds up 3 seconds down to maximize time under tension and minimize burden on the ligaments and tendons.

>what's snap city

You know what happens when you snap a stick in half? Imagine that, but with your lumbar instead.

That's snap city, or at least a rather extreme example of which.

snap city. Your spine permanently fucked up some how.
Critical ligament ripped.
Spine broken.
vertebrae deformed.
Cushioning between vertebrae destroyed.
Other tissues of the back experiencing catostrophic trauma.

Stretch and myofascial release
Work on stretching your hamstrings and getting your hips open.
If you can't open your hips wide your back is going to move into a curved position and you will be pulling weight with the force of your lower back rather then pushing your legs into the earth to get the lift.

Hamstrings

Frog pose for hips
youtube.com/watch?v=eZJFMy8IWHQ

Loading the hamstrings for superior deadlift and less back snaps.

Lift smaller weights, work on perfecting your form before you move onto moving more weight.
Even practice at home with a broom handle first if you gotta.

Good luck op, take care of that spine bro.

FOAM ROLL
O
A
M

R
O
L
L

Is it a bad idea to foam roll the lower back? Feels so good to crack my spine like that but my spine literally sticks out of my lower back a bit and I'm afraid I'm going to paralyze myself.

>but my spine literally sticks out of my lower back a bit
What the fuck

Ah so you've been lifting with 0 spinal erector development.

strongfirst.com/the-secret-to-instant-strength-gains/

I started squatting recently as well and I don't understand what people mean by opening the hips. How can I tell if my hips have limited mobility?

THERE WHERE PEOPLE DOWN THERE

Make sure your form is perfect. People aren't exaggerating when they say deadlifts can fuck your back. I put myself out of commission for months a few years back, basically paralyzed myself with a lower back injury from bad form.

Is it really that odd? You can't see any of your spine at all when you look at your lower back? Maybe it's just me. I think I have minor scoliosis actually but I didn't know that was uncommon.

Do a slav squat, the tightness you feel around your groin area is what you want to work on.

When your squat and your hips lower and reach their peak mobility, any further movement the back will round to compensate.

As this area opens your squat will naturally have more depth and you will be able to squat deeper without rounding the lower back.

Sounds to me like you have some kind of muscular imbalance disorder where some muscles are over tight and others are overweak. such as upper/lower cross syndrome.
Quite common with how much people sit these days with poor posture.

Quite a few channels on youtube addressing this problem atm, I'd recommend looking at guerillazen fitness and functional patterns for practical solutions to addressing the problems.

It is best to address muscular imbalances first before you start doing squats and deadlifts, if you have musclar imbalances, best to work at light weights and focus on maximizing form first so your not exaggerating already over engaged muscles.

Mobility is the fast, slow road, sure you can go hard and heavy but and make quick gains but in the long run you will be slowed down by injuries.
Also once you start getting mobility gains and understanding myofascial release techniques and get a bit stretchier lengthing those muscle mobility gains become just as addictive as strength gains.

I took a pic of it. I had to bend a bit to take it but this is what I mean. It's not bad when I'm standing up straight. When I bend it's super obvious but again, I assume that's normal.

for a form check. Once you set your feet, lock your toes, pull up your knees, tighten your glutes, torque your legs, inhale and compress your torso - creating intraabdominal pressure, pulling your elbows down to lock in your shoulders, set your spine, crush the bar, bend the bar (squat you'll bend with chest, DL you'll bend with back and shoulders),

Before you'll descend your you'll be flexing your legs creating a lateral force, imagining Your feet are trying to create an earthquake between your legs.

Then decend (with bar on squat, or to grab the bar on DL)

Learn the yoga warrior poses they will help develop hamstring and glute muscles.
Weak hamstrings and glutes can cause arch of lower spine,

Spine is the no.1 thing you should take care of in your life, it's where all the signals in your body gets processed and directed from the brain through to organs, I learnt this the hard way through injuries and chronic pain but it can be fixed in time.

If you really want to fix it really start paying attention to your body and what feels right and what doesn't, youtube gurillazen and funtional patterns the trainers there know their shit and can direct you to where you should be looking, it's quite amazing how out of tune we are with our body no matter how in tune we might think we are.

As long as I've can remember I've been able to slav squat comfortably for as long as I want, it helps that I'm half Asian I think

What else might it be that's causing me to over utilize my lower back?

Also get a lacrosse ball and give the first exercise in this video a try, this shit done correctly over time will literally change your life and health in ways you couldn't believe.

It's hard to say without looking at you and assessing you so I'm just going to throw some ideas and something might stick.

Might need to work on loading the hamstrings a bit more for support.
Practice with a broomstick or unloaded barbell first till you find what feels right.

Could be tight hip flexors and psoas muscles pulling your lower abdomen down

Also a weak core can cause the lower back to over compensate and take the brunt of the workload to keep you upright.

meant to post this vid as the second vid for hip flexors soz
Basically just lunge

youtube.com/watch?v=g70Jq2NjQwY

How the fuck do you use your legs on a deadlift

I cant

Instead of trying to lift the bar with your back try pushing your feet further into the earth to achieve the lift.
It'll happen

Not the guy you replied to, but I tried doing a slav squat for like 15 mins yesterday and I couldn't. Is this caused by shitty hamstrings? I'll start doing these stretches you linked as well, thanks f a m

Stretching hamstring will overall help alot of things this including, but the tightness around groin area is main focus for hip opener depth.

Do yoga frog pose, another thing that can help is getting a small stool and using it to support and sit in horse stance (as shown in image) sitting comfortably and upright put hands on knees and use inner thigh muscles to pull knees back, you can get a further stretch by tilting body forward.

Forgot image.
No worries bro, keep at it, first 3 months sucks with mobility but if you stick with it you will get gains and then it becomes alot easier and quite pleasurable once you develop more range of motion

>do deadlifts for the first time after watching some videos, embarassingly low weight
>feels like most of the work is being done in my lower back, have some muscle soreness there, but nothing alarming
>figure that this is just the result of a disproportionate weakness in that area, legs are in decent shape from cycling
>a little later, move the weight up
>same shit
>a little later, move the weight up again
>mild lower back pain for the rest of the day
I guess my form is shit. Here's my question: should I a) stay at this weight until I can do it right, or b) reduce the weight until I get my form right, and if "b", how do I know when my form is right and I can move the weight up again?

My soccer coach taught me to get into regular deadlift position then look up as high as you c,an while pushing your chest out, then stand up. Hope this helps. I'd do just the bar till your form is perfect

>deadlift in
You know it's called, "deadlifting" right OP? Sometimes the 'g' is dropped at the end in the vernacular, but its not two separate words.

Autocorrect

I've taught a few people with zero movement instincts deadlift mechanics now. The best way to go about it, in my opinion, is top down approach. I have them do Romanians until they figure out what hip hinging feels like, then I have them tighten their torso before bending over to grab the bar.

Getting them to use the hamstring for Romanians is the hard part, afterwords they can usually grab the bar with a straight back.

jesus fuck man that was tight

>295x1x8
>Just started deadlifting
You know you're anonymous right? What the fuck is wrong with you estatters? Seriously you're fucking anonymous. Also
>Not deadlifting 50000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 megatons you're first day liftan
>Not being DYEL
Pick one and only one

deload u retard why would u keep doing it if u know ur form is shit

Stop for a week and fix your form. I fucked up my back for an entire summer using shitty form. Deadlift parallel to a mirror with 1pl8 and slowly add weight until you find a spot that's good for 5 or 6 reps. If you're a begginer then try to avoid high reps because you tend to mess up your form towards the end. Be careful

I started deadlifting recently and I'm at 90kg right now. Are you sure that you aren't doing too much weight, OP?

Thanks for the advice. You've both been helpful.

>b-breh

By just starting I meant in the past 2 months
I've been lifting for about 2 years, never really deadlifted before. Calm down

Why is everyone acting like 295 is a huge amount, maybe for the absolute beginner to lifting and Athletics maybe