Deep caloric deficits

Don't hate me but i'm genuinely curious, I want to lose fat I have cause its beach time soon. How reasonable is a 1000 caloric deficit if I eat most of it protein, and still workout? Is it not recommended?

I am doing a 500 - cut but I want to speed things up.

TLDR Is 1000 caloric deficit safe and or will I lose all muscle. I just want to lose fat in time for the beach

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9417152
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also water weight body tips to get ready for the beach thread, post tips if you got them.

I heard drinking more water actually causes you to lose the water weight you might have.

Potassium helps with flushing out water retention.

Your body doesn't know what you're trying to do. It just knows how to survive. When it goes into a heavy deficit it will want to keep fat and lose muscle because muscle needs more energy than fat.

"Workout" is a noun, not a verb

You're welcome!

thanks for the related help ?

You can cut on a 1000 kcal deficit but don't below 1800 kcal/day for men or 1500 for women. Consider that the bottom limit to keep your body and brain and immune system and heart and lungs and kidneys and shit all working properly.

Read up on psmf and keto, what you are thinking about is already a thing.

So if I want to do a quick keto diet 0 carbs and split the rest fat and protein?

No, people understand this all wrong.

A deep deficit isn't the problem. A deep deficit is fine if it comes from a large amount of physical activity.

The trouble comes when you try to achieve a deep deficit with a sedentary lifestyle, by hardly eating anything at all.

A sedentary adult burns 1500-4000 calories per day, depending on their size and individual variation. A person who is physically active for most of their waking hours can burn two or three times as many calories, maybe four or five in extreme cases.

Let's say a sedentary person needs 2500 calories to maintain their weight. If he stopped eating entirely, even if he took micronutrient supplements, a "2500 calorie deficit", his health would collapse very quickly. If that same person went on a camping vacation and hiked for 10 hours per day, and cut wood and carried water besides, he could burn 6000 calories per day, so if he went on eating 2500 calories per day, he could lose a pound of fat per day without his health suffering, as long as he had the fat to lose. People who become intensely active commonly undergo radical changes in body composition, even while eating apparently normal, even hearty, diets.

An hour in the gym a couple of times per week is good for making your muscles strong, but it's not good for running your metabolism and creating the conditions for fast weight loss.

Losing fat with a sedentary lifestyle is a miserable slog. Going much below your maintenance diet at a sedentary level tells your body and your instincts that there isn't enough food for you in your present circumstances, and it will start changing the way your brain works to reorganize your behavior toward more effective food acquisition. The brain is not simply master of the body.

If you really want to lose weight (beyond what you can get by stopping being an idiot with gratuitous overeating and complete lack of exercise), you want to spend large amounts of time being physically active.

I'm on IF and eating 1200kcals a day. I don't notice any loss of gains. I do feel small due to carb depletion, but on cheat meal days i carb up and my gains return.

(i am a 5'7 manlet though)

1000 deficit is okay as long as you're above a minimum of 1000-1200 calories a day. Anything lower than that your body starts to go into starvation mode and you'll lose muscle mass. I'm currently on a cut of 1450 a day (maintenence about 1900) and I haven't had any ill effects.

>maintenence about 1900

BMR or TDEE? my maintenance is 1900 if i stay in bed all day

TDEE

h-how...

Complete rubbish.

Rapid Fat Loss Handbook by Lyle McDonald

based nikki. guzman is a fag for dumping her.

5"7 manlet on a cut, currently 66KG 147lb.

Nikki is wife goals

Op here, that seems legit thanks fellow fitizen

idk bros

>implants (which already busted once)
>tattoos
>constant baby-voice

otherwise yeah she's pretty great

They busted? Sauce? I don't remember seeing that in her vids

Also not complaining they look good and that booty has its own gravity I swear

you will lose a decent amount of muscle

I thought I was doing well with this concept until I slimmed down and realized that my quads and traps/shoulders got significantly smaller.

I've cut on -1000 before. I didn't lose muscle mass but I lost a ton of strength.

>Losing fat with a sedentary lifestyle is a miserable slog
Preach nigga. I started swimming as much as possible so I could lose fat and maintain a normal social life.

>starvation mode
Not a thing.

Good post. Thank you, friend.

Add some cardio. Before I would just lift and go home. About 2 months ago I began running, indoors and outdoors, and I've never felt better. Fat loss is coming along well, run shirtless for tan gains on top of aesthetic gains. Good luck everybody.

deep deficit put you at risk of going catabolic, which is the opposite of what you want.

There are three metabolic rates you need to worry about:
basal
basal + every day chores/life
basal + every day chores/life + exercise/recovery

if you eat below your basal rate you will go catabolic and your body will actually retain fat in favor of muscle.

if you eat at the basal + every day life and exercise at the same time then you will lose weight, gain muscle and lose fat. if you are an intermediate lifter then your muscle gain will be close to zero, you will also have less energy and your strength will likely decrease but your muscle mass will not

if you eat at the basal + every day life rate + exercise rate then you will not lose weight, and you will gain muscle and lose fat (recomp)

if you eat anywhere in between those rates then your muscle gains and fat consumption will change appropriately.

That's factually incorrect.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9417152

This post stinks of arm chair theory crafting.

how about you say that to my face and not online and see what happens?

>I didn't lose muscle mass but I lost a ton of strength.
Apparently you also lost a lot of brain mass.

I like how Christian Guzman pumped & dumped Nikki because he's a /DARK HAIR/ alpha that has his pick of the litter. Meanwhile the betas are in her youtube comments trying to hit her with pickup lines. LMAO

>Apparently you also lost a lot of brain mass.
I used calipers and tape to measure my body weekly. Sorry friend, but I tracked this shit and know I didn't lose muscle.

What the h*ck are you talking about?

pic related

>h*ck
What the fuck does that mean?

Source? I believe you though. My maintenance is 2400 and at 5'10", when I cut at 1400, my hormones got fucked.

i lost nor gained strength

100g protein

So basically me losing the last 15 pounds of belly fat is a nigh impossibility unless I only sleep, work, workout, and repeat.

I'm never gonna make it.

It's not the amount of deficit that matters for muscle loss/health etc. It's whether you eat above your BMR, ie the minimum energy your metabolism needs on a normal day, before counting exercise etc.
If you eat less, your metabolism will slow down to an extend, which will in turn diminish your maintenance value.

if your BMR is 1600cal, and you take 1700cal per day but on top of that burn 800cal with sport or whatever, you get a 700cal deficit and that's fine.
But if your BMR is 1600, and you only take 1200cal and no almost no activity so you burn only an extra 300cal per day, that's also a deficit of 700cal.

In both cases you would at first glance lose the same weight.
Except that in the 2nd case, you will burn more muscle than in the first case, because you take less cal than your maintenance.
On top of that, in the 2nd case your metabolism will slow down (it has no choicem it gets no energy). So your BMR will get lower, say 1450cal. This will in turn lower the calorie deficit that you create and you will
>lose less fucking weight
>despite eating fucking less
>just because you don't fucking lift

The fastest way to healthily lose weight if to lift while eating exactly at your BMR (lifting accelerates your metabolism, too).

If you don't want to lift because lazy piece of shit or stupid grill who thinks she will look like hulk hogan, then just eat at a large deficit, whatever.
You will lose muscle but you will also lose fat.
When you're done, if you eat back at your previous maintenance level, you will gain fat because your bmr will be lower.
To avoid that, after you're done with your crash diet, start lifting and eat at a low surplus. This will accelerate your metabolism again. The surplus will actually be used by your metabolism to increase the value of your bmr, so it won't be a real surplus.
Example : you lift, BMR is 1400, maintenance is 1800cal, you take 1900cal. Surplus is 100. After a while, BMR becomes 1500, still on 1900cal, surplus is 0.

here, should have read the thread before posting. already said it all.

Btw this is exactly why we have all these "science says you cannot lose weight" fat activists, girls with the "guys eat everything and are lean, girls drink 1 glass of water and gain weight" mind-set etc. Also why people say calorie in/calorie out is wrong. Because they don't understand the nuances and they can't do math (muh thyroids just changes the amount of calorie you burn, same goes for a slow metabolism)

The fault lies on women's magazines, on mom's science, on pleb's wisdom, on new Veeky Forums-friends saying muh metabolism is a meme etc. Not on the average person trying to tone up for summer and not knowing better than to run a 900cal diet. They are drowned in misinformation, you can't blame them for fucking up.

But I'm not being very, neutral on that matter, seeing how I only researched this for my gf who is actually one of said girl who used to do very low cal diets etc, and I wanted to fix her.

gee golly, it means the h-e-c-k word

what program is that?

around december she had to get them drained.

Seems like she partied a lot in her early 20s, got a bunch of tattoos and wrinkles, but now she straightened up with her healthy lifestyle. Seems like she's better without Guzman.

She def got botox to iron out the wrinkles.

Here ya go, on left she's 22-23, right she's 25-26

And I forgot the image again

I did Rapid Fat Loss for around 5-6 weeks and lost roughly 10kg. In retrospect I should have stopped after 3-4 weeks because my strength started dropping rapidly around that point. I'm not sure if it happened because I was getting too lean or because I had been on the diet for too long. Anyway, the next time I do it I'll probably do it for 2-3 weeks and get back to lifting. It should allow me to lose a few kgs without losing much strength.

>lost weight
>boobs got bigger

Speaking from the perspective of an ex fatass here, so not cutting as in a bulk/cut cycle.

The thing is, even if all of you are right, I prefered losing 1 kg a week with pathetic lifts and ridiculous noob gains than 500 g a week with a little less pathetic lifts and noob gains. I could just bulk after that first mega cut.

The real awnser is cut as a part of a cut/bulk cycle : -500 kcal, cut as in I don't want to be a fatass anymore : do the max you can manage (but more than 1200/day, do not be retarded).

As long as you lift and eat ton of proteins, you'll make progress from DYEL even with -1000 a day.

some reddit guy, just google "TDEE 3.0 reddit"

thanks m8

i love spreadsheets

Op, don't go lower than 1000 calorie defecit. Ive done a 2000 calorie defecit while on keto and I was running an ECA stack. It is not worth the muscle loss and the amount of supplements you will have to take while cutting.

The fat did melt the fuck off, and so did most of my muscle and strength.

Right now Im doing a 1k calorie defecit and its going great. No loss in strength and still loosing weight

are the bmr calculaters accurate?

i am 175cm
71 kg
26 years

it says my bmr is 1290.

if so i will follow your advice and up my cals to that number (guess some room for a small water icecream everyday.)

i didnt see if bodyfat mattered, mine is 13%

They're definitely useful for a starting point that's probably close-ish. Everyone's metabolism is different, so it may take a week or two of honing in on your deficit/surplus to find what your actual number is.

Find for yourself a number you want to lose per week. 1lb/week is the go-to benchmark, but 13% is approaching the point where 0.5lb/week is probably more realistic.

Got it? Now eat at your BMR and go for 1 or 2 weeks, following your diet and deficit to the letter with your BMR.

Don't lose enough to match your threshold? Up the deficit by a small amount, even 100 extra calories/day adds up fast over a full week.

Repeat until you start getting where you want.

After a few weeks of trial/error, you should be able to get a better idea of what your BMR actually is.

how would i know my Bmr from doing that? wont i get my TDEE that way

same here isnt that the way to get your TDEE? how would i get my bmr from that

is it filtered or something? heck

this guy gets it

do cardio, fags

Who is this snake charmer?

also other calculaters give me 1700 as my BMR and i will definitely eat below that. i am at about 1200 cals daily now with 100g protein.

Your TDEE uses your BMR as a base for its calculation.

What I'm talking is this:
>A 500 calorie deficit = 1lb fat burned/week (because 1lb of fat is roughly ~3500 calories)
>Let's say your BMR is "calculated" to be 2000 calories
>Eat at 2000 for a week, with an assumed 500 deficit created through lifting or whatever the fuck you do throughout the day
>At the end of the week you didn't lose 1lb, why is this?

The answer is either 1 of 2 things:
1) You didn't calorie count correctly (Which is likely, so don't immediately discount this)
2) your BMR isn't actually 2000

Assuming your diet is on point, this leaves 2 as the natural culprit, hence taking 100 off your BMR and going again.

i jogged for 1.5 hours a day, 6/7 days for 35 days and kept meticulous record of calories, used a 500 cal deficit balanced 30/30/40 CPF diet and lost ~45 lbs, body fat from 38% to 19%

stop talking

Hey user. I'm a dumb grill. I've been reading the sticky, and working out regularly.
But I have a question. I eat at a deficit of about 800, but also do cardio and lift regularly. Should I be eating more? My goal is to lose weight more than it is to get gains.

no, you just werent as big as you thought you were and lost alot of glycogen and water that you thought was actual muscle tissue.

eat less

Stop eating.

>I eat at a deficit of about 800
??? Read more

So? Eat less.

If I go lower then I'll be below 1000 /day

What do you want us to say? You're already working out and eating at a deficit, if you're not losing weight like you want to, eat less or change your routine.

Post height, weight, routine, and accurate daily food/calorie intake.

Outside of the gym, are you sedentary, or do you have a job/stay moving?

This right here. Doesn't matter to me as I'm gonna run SL/Madcow once I finish my cut.

Boobs got implanted, dangus.