Thoughts on Phrak's GreySkull LP variant for someone just beginning? Thinking about starting it soon

Thoughts on Phrak's GreySkull LP variant for someone just beginning? Thinking about starting it soon.

Goals are mainly aesthetics. Pic related.

It's all right. I'd probably do the lower body exercise before the back exercise, as the low back quickly becomes the weak link when squatting or deadlifting, but not so much when rowing.

I think I like the original GSLP better though. There are also a bunch of cool variations form the author himself in the book, if you can get your hands on it.

Outstanding program all in all. More effective than Starting Strength, theoretically at least, although it does sacrifice a bit of simplicity to accomplish that.

Do you think I would be safe in adding some bicep/tricep accessories at the end? Maybe 3x10 barbell curls/extensions?

As long as it doesn't detract any focus from the main exercises you should be fine.

I do that. I switch from Hammer to "normal" curls each day. Add in a single tricep exercise that you like.

100% awesome.

Perfect balance of upper and lower, pushing and pulling.

I recommend doing starting strength styl progression, with deloads and all that jazz.

Dont even need em bro.
You should be growing your chest and your shoulders as much as possible. Your tricep is a tiny muscle, it cant handle more volume than your fucking pectorals, let alone pectorals and deltoids combine.

If you want more tricep, hit more shoulder or chest.

Bicep i never train, and i am still having trouble getting my delts to be wider than my arms.
Chin ups and hammer chin ups seem to be enough.

I would worry about traps (cannot get too big as a natty) before arms. But even then it isnt much of a concern

Reddit is sooo gay with this routine, you can just point out reddit in this thread.

How can everybody say this routine is so great while most gyms dont have 1.25lbs plates.

inb4
>bring your own plates
no im not an autist

I've never been to reddit and I prefer GSLP to all the other similar programs.

It's a valid point, I guess. But the same can be said for all the linear progression novice programs.

SS, SL are linear novice programms they use 5lbs increments

I've just been using 1.25kg plates instead. Any less and I think progress might be a little too slow.

>they use 5lbs increments
No they don't. Only in the early beginning. You need access to micro-loading if you really want to milk all the progress you can from these programs. Otherwise you'll stall way too soon.

Ok im confused. When they say alternating are they saying do ohp one day and bench another day or both ohp and bench do 3x5s but just alternate in between sets?

>do ohp one day and bench another day
This. So Monday is bench, Wednesday ohp, Friday bench, Monday ohp, Wednesday bench etc.

There's a book if you want to know more. Lots of good info.

ehm yes they do, 5lbs so 2,5 kg on the bar is increased everytime on SS and SL.
Only deadlift is 5kg increments.

I love it. A lot more balanced than SS. Just add in some hammer/concentration curls.

obsession with curls in this thread 0_0

I was on SL 5x5 and had completely stalled on bench. I switched to this and broke my plateau :)

Read the book, dude. It's a silly thing to argue over. Rippetoe says micro-loading is essential. It's beyond discussion.

I liek knolege were kan me got buk?

Yes, especially if you add 3x10 dumbbell bench on bench day and 3x10 facepulls on ohp day.

it looks great
AMRAP is great, esp. for deloading
I implemented it in my SL5x5 when I got stuck

3x5 is great volume for beginners
nice balance between upper/lower

I don't like that it has you squatting after ohp
you need a fresh lower back when going heavy

I also don't like AMRAP sets on deadlifts
also deadlifting 1 per week is very low volume for a beginner
SS has you squatting 3 times per week until it gets too heavy to recover from

I would do SS for a month then hop into it.
Overall pretty good though

>do SS for a month

>Not buying Starting Strength 6th edition and doing the Advanced 2nd stage modified microloading phase for 14 months and subscribing to the Wichita Falls Weekly and hiring a milkman to deliver you milk everyday
YNDTP

Deload: The program.

This. If you deload 10% everytime you don't make your 5th rep on your last set you're a cuck and you will never make gains. The real way to deal with a missed rep on your final set is to do a lighter set for higher reps afterward and hit the muscle on your off day with some dumbbells or push press or w/e.