What's the optimal amount of rest between sets?

what's the optimal amount of rest between sets?

i take quite long rests and i just realised it might be why my lifts are still so shit.

I do 2-3 mins between compounds and 1-2 mins between isolations and feels good to me. Maybe 4-5 mins for heavy deads

i do 10 reps on the kettlebell, rest for 10.

After 40 reps, switch up and goto 20 reps.
Rest for 10 for example.

If cycling, i do HIIT for a minute, then rest for 30 seconds...and repeat.

Depends on the workout.

I rest 3 minutes for compounds and 2 minutes for accessories. I might rest a bit longer if I feel that I won't be able to finish the set.

fuck, i tend to rest ~5 minutes minimum.

if you're squatting 135 it's 5 minutes if you're squatting 405 it's 90 seconds

this

I like ~8 minutes between sets desu, otherwise I simply can't complete my sets.

When squatting 5x5 at 90% of my 5rm... first rest is usually like 4-5 mins, the rest of them are 7-8.

Honestly, the optimal amount of rest is as much rest as you need to complete your next set, without your body cooling down. Sure I could probably crank out 5 heavy squat sets with 3-4 mins rest, but I'd have valgus out the ass and probably start taking long ass pauses between reps.

Rest until you're ready for your next set.

I don't know what it is with you people who want to quantify every little aspect of lifting thinking it'll make a difference.

Unless you rest like 8+ mins between every set it's not your rest times that makes your lifts shit.

>~8 minutes

I time rests based on the reps per set:

4-6 = 3 minutes
6-8 = 2 minutes
8-10 = 1 minute

I lift heavy for fewer reps on compounds and lighter for more reps on isolations, so this scheme works for me.

3-5 mins for heavy compounds, but you can even go 8+ if ur attempting 1rm or some shit

Acceessories its rly up to you, the more you rest the more you'll be able to push out.

you're on a forum for beginners don't pretend when you first started you weren't looking for tips and tricks

>resting between sets
Do people actually do this? Jeez you'd think people that take the time to go to the gym wouldn't be so lazy

yup, me too.

3 for bench, ohp

5 for squat

7 for deadlift

Obviously when I started with just the bar a year ago I rested much less

you guys must be powerlifters

Resting too little will absolutely kill your progress.

On heavy bench and OHP (like over 75% of 1RM), if I try to do 90 seconds rest instead of 3-5 minutes, my arms will just give out after 2 or 3 reps.

You should start going heavy instead of doing lmao50reps at 15% or 0.20BW.

What do you guys do, 1 rep? 3 reps?

This.

90 seconds.

I do anywhere from 3-8 reps as well amraps. While I don't want to waste time at the gym by resting too long, I also don't want to waste an entire gym session by not resting enough. After the last rep of the last set I am utterly exhausted even if I rest a lot, if I didn't rest that much I would miss a rep.