Tfw can't run for more than 100 meters

>tfw can't run for more than 100 meters
>tfw need to quit smoking

have any of you guys managed to quit smoking? I smoke a pack a day and have a hard time doing anything fitness related because I get winded

You can't be fit and smoke cigarettes

I quit about 6 months ago. Easiest way to do it was one craving at a time. Don't think about how many you're gonna have, just get through this one.

Think about the money you're spending. Im in ontario and the price for a pack is almost 12 dollars now and I smoked 1.5 packs a day

do it faggot!!

I quit 3 months ago. smoked a pack a day for 18 years. first month takes will power. you get used to it on second month. Now no crawings just sometimes have nostalgic thought like "oh it was nice having a could bear and a smoke back in the day.

I found after 3 days of no smoking it was wasnt that bad

Same. After that the smell of smoke made me want to vomit.

Yeah its just those first few days that are difficult and after that it just seems pointless to smoke

What helped me was when someone said "the cravings will lessen, then they will go away, then they will stop"

I quit 2 years ago and I don't even think about cigs anymore

Actually you can, you just can't be as fit as possible.

Just quit this last week OP, I did it because I wanted to get more serious about cardio. Every time I have a craving I take a deep breath and think about my goals. Good luck OP, its not easy.

Just switch to vape. You start with stronger nic and gradually reduce it. You won't have any cig cravings and it won't impair cardio. Make sure you invest in a decent box mod and tank and you'll be good to go. Learn to make your own juice later, I spend 20 bucks for 4 months worth of juice.

Good luck being fit and coughing and wheezing all the time

Smoking and fitness don't go together

I run 6 a day at a decent clip and up until two weeks ago I smoked a pack a day. I never cough or weeze. I'm not arguing that smoking is a hindrance to progress, but you can definitely be "fit" and smoke at the same time.

op i assume you can't do this because you'd like results as quickly as possible, so cold turkey would probably be your best method, but i have been reducing my smoking day by day so that when i quit (i have a date in mind, not just like an empty "well i'll quit someday!") i'm not dying of severe nicotine withdrawal

that might work
otherwise just fucking quit homie, i'm riding the same struggle as you rn

Not OP but similar problem. Been smoking two packs a day for 15 years or so. My main motivation is financial - I really can't keep up with prices per pack. I don't need any motivation and I know it's hard but - as a chain smoker - is it better to gradually reduce amount of cigarettes smoked or should I just go cold turkey for a month?

This

I quit by gradually reducing how much I smoke each day. I'm down to 4 a day from 40 a day

I'm two weeks shy of it being a year since I quit. I just used the patches, and it wasn't bad at all. Still get the occasional craving when I see someone else smoking but it's fleeting and doesn't last more than a few seconds.

Cardio goals help to keep me in line as well.

READ JESUS FUCK STOP SMOKING CIGS

pls lrn2english

I quit because of money too. Fuck spending more than 90 dollars a week on cigarettes

gross

Don't take up vaping like an idiot, just stop smoking

Didn't see the reply user, no need to shout.

What a dumb fucking cunt, vaping is the best thing that ever happened to smokers.

ex smoker of 12 years here. just quit, cold turkey. Yes, you will feel like shit. Deal with it.

You WILL gain weight at first. Up to 15-20lbs. But you will make it up with gains to stamina and will start eventually losing weight. Don't get discouraged and quit feeding the tobacco jew

I went from two packs a day to zero a day, all thanks to based vaping. Sure you look like an idiot if you get one of those giant robot dicks (fuck you and your "making epic clouds breh" bullshit). Get something discrete and easy to palm. v2cigs.com has quality smaller pen-style vapes that are great. I quit two years ago and have no problem running / doing any kind of cardio. Life changing shit.

Never understood people who even started smoking, it taste like shit, you dont get high, you dont get drunk. I mean really? Whats the fucking point? I only ever smoked weed and drank alcohol.
Cigarettes are for idiots

that's fine except pen-vapes are a source of a lot frustration to beginners. Batteries have low mAh, the tanks are low volume. Box mods and bigger tanks are simply more convenient, they'll last you all day.

you don't get high like you get high from weed but there is a significant head rush when you first start smoking
then it goes away, but by then you're addicted/in the habit of smoking

I'd rather not quit if I'm going to gain weight

dude smoking WILL kill you
gaining some weight won't
you can lose it and it will be fine
you also might not gain, it depends on how you decide to deal with your cravings/withdrawals

This

Some people snack all the time instead of smoking when they first quit

this thread makes me wanna smoke.

I quit because it was hard as fuck to breathe plus it sounded like a whistle whenever I breathed in

Exactly, its retarded. You get that relaxed feeling the first couple of times. And everybody knows thats only temporary. And yet, like the retarded cunt you are tou keep going. And in the end you have to smoke to feel "normal". The feeling i have all the time. You basically made sure toi had to "medicated" for the rest of your life to feel normal.

If thats not the most retarded shit ever, i dont know what is

It's not a guarantee that you'll gain weight anyway. Just don't shove food in your face every time you want a cig. Do pushups instead, then you can say quitting cigs got your ripped.

oh yeah i'm sorry i didn't mean to seem like i don't think smoking is 100% retarded

it's just that there is a reason why people start

retarded but still there

I quit smoking a few months before I got fit.

To this day I have shortness of breath. It's been about six months. I lose energy really quickly and am out of breath all the time, even when not active.

I really regret smoking, I'm not sure if I'll ever be completely healthy again. Some sources say lung damage is permanent. The only thing that makes me feel better is the fact that I stopped.

I Quit six years ago. Best way to do it is to taper off then stop smoking completely and quit with someone else. I still get cravings every now and then but they don't affect my mood and I handle then easily enough.

you're fucking inhaling a battery. you know how many people get addicted to vapes as if they were cigs? it's just another scheme that people with no will power will fall victim to "oh but it's healthier and it helps me quit" bullshit

I did smoke from age 12 to 24 and am now 6 years clean.
I do not miss it for a momont.

Just quit cold turkey and hit the gym.
No bs with chewing gum or vaping.
You can do it op.

I quit a few years ago. Smoked about a pack a day. Cut down 1 to 2 cigs each week. Took about 4 months to go from 20 a day to 0, but was worth it.

Im fucking quitting today man

smoking has fucked up my breathing and turned me into a unhealthy fuck

i only smoke around 4 a day. going to cut it to 1 a day...then 0

I remember being tired after one flight of stairs lol

I only smoke a few when out drinking. Feels good and it's very social event.

it's not that easy when all of your friends and relatives smoke like chimneys

>crawings
>having a could bear

are you retarded?

its not that bad..maybe if i smoked more i would reach that point

i just done some skipping for around 3 minutes and i was fucking nearly dead on the floor gasping for air

yep. he said 'smoking for 18 years' lets say he started at 18, this retard is probably 40+ years old and talks like an autistic redditor.
>do it faggot!!

god i hate when old people come onto this board. or the internet in general.

>you're fucking inhaling a battery
>another scheme

You're a stupid cunt talking about something you know nothing about. It has been proved to be 90% healthier than smoking, plus your clothes and breath don't stink of tobacco constantly. If 'people with no will power' are going to be addicted to nicotine they'd rather be addicted to the healthier way of consuming it.

Also there's no monopoly on vaping, it's a shared market with loads of independent sellers of mods/liquids instead of smoking where 1-2 companies own what 80% of people are smoking worldwide.

I smoked 1-2 packs a day for decades. Stopped by not smoking anymore. It was shit for a while, but eventually I got over it.

I'm not one of those faggots who goes 'Oh I'll just slowly wean myself off' and take months and months to stop then relapse.

Have some fucking discipline and just don't smoke.

>tfw can run for more than 20000meters
>tfw need to start smoking

See, I can use logic too.

>i vape guys

How about some trying some snus?

I'm pretty sure I need my fucking nicotine or else I'll lose my mind. I still smoke, but I can go from a pack a day to only one every day or two with some snus. That's with pretty much not even trying.

I'm not saying it's going to help you quit or anything. This isn't any quitting advice. But a pack a day? Gotta slow down a bit; that's some real damage. It actually helped not having the anxiety of "gotta quit gotta quit" all the time, but more like every time I want to light up I hear "Are you seriously gonna smoke?". You've got constant nicotine, so what's left is just a habit, and it's pretty difficult trying to justify compromising your fitness just because you like blowing smoke and waiving a cigarette around. You feel like a kid who wants to look cool.

My advice is also not to vape. It's become a whole hobby, if not a whole subculture. You don't want to go from obsessing over smoking to obsessing over something that's as close to smoking as possible. People get a whole bunch of vaping buddies who feed off one another as they try to make vaping as cool as possible. No thank you, I'm fine.

Gotta quit one of these days, though. I know it's coming. Maybe it's just my way of thinking, but on the day I quit I suspect I'm gonna say "Come on man, did you really think you could just keep going forever? It's time now, gotta face it"

One thing I found with vaping, for me at least, was I was vaping much more than smoking. Like constantly vaping because it really had no odor indoors. You could probably lower the nicotine content to offset the constant vaping I guess.

I'd rather be seen as a fedora-wielding vaper than sucking big tobacco's dick until my lungs are dripping black with tar and I have a heart attack/stroke aged 55.

your lungs are still being fucked because of all the fluid they are accumulating from the vapor, idiot

Actual advice here.
From me, a guy who smoked for 9 years and then stopped:

Delay the time for your first cig to your maximum
> For instance, if you can't take it after 10am, take one cig, it's alright
Everyday, delay the time to 1h more
> If 1st day, 10am, then 2nd day, 11am, etc
Do it and in 10 days, your first cig will be at minimum at 10pm, and then none.

After your first cig of the day, delay every cig as the first one.
Be aware that the cravings are temporary (usually last between 5 and 10min really).

I stopped in one week using this, and now I'm clean.

The rest is willpower, and be aware that the first week after the delay-then-stop day is hard.
Then it gets easier.
The first month passed, you will have fewer cravings, and feel less need to smoke.

If you're a heavy smoker, use nicotin patches or gum

Define 'fucked' and link me to some legit studies that show the long-term effects of vaping on the lungs.
Most of the experiments that try to prove vaping to be dangerous used ridiculous conditions that had the devices being used constantly for hours on end, with the coils being worn out as a result, i.e. not realistic conditions for any real person vaping. Most doctors/scientists that haven't been bought by the tobacco companies say vaping is a much healthier alternative (note 'healthier', not 'healthy').

Smoking on the other hand, any person who hasn't been living under a rock for the last 50 years should know the well-studied and documented effects.

Three months ago I quit smoking in order to get myself in shape for a cooper test for a job interview. Bear in mind, I have smoked since I was a boy. My mindset was pretty clear on quitting the smoking for next few weeks to squeeze in more meters and lung capacity for running, while still thinking, that I will allow myself to smoke once I'm done with it.
I quit cold turkey smoking and went through 2 containers of snus in three weeks. I did not crave nicotine, I craved the social interraction and habit of smoking, something I could replace with better physical fitness though.

It's been awhile now, and frankly I do not crave for cigarettes, snus or even smoking a cigar anymore. I don't have these mental triggers anymore, that when i'm having a beer outside that i'd like to smoke or when i'm walking in the forest.
I suppose you need to find out what you are addicted to. if it's niocotine then snus may work to make the slope less steep. If it is habitual, find new habits to replace cigarettes. Also think about it as a trade of giving away something to enjoy, in order to gain enjoyment with interest later on (higher gains). I still feel, that in future when i'm more settled down and my physical condition doesn't need to be in peak state, i will allow myself cigar or cigarettes, but for now i will do without, as i have a great momentum going on. Also, mental victories within yourself are far greater, than any amount of iron you can lift.

I quess I'm mainly a nicotine man, then a habit man. I know the "having something in your hand" thing is a tough habit to break, especially if you're one of those people that is always doing something with a cigarette in their mouth or between their fingers. Driving with a cigarette being the thing that comes to mind.

The snus helped me break that habit pretty quickly though. Just because you have to wait that 15 minutes for it to start kicking in, so I had to start telling myself "I'll get some snus in a moment, just hold off smoking for a bit longer, it's only 15 minutes", "You're gonna be fine, just wait it out a bit longer". By the time I had the snus in, I wasn't worried about the cigarette any more.

It's just like said, those ``cravings'' are temporary.

Before long, I started finding cigarettes in my pockets that I was going to smoke, but I got distracted and thought "I'll smoke in a moment, but I'll first do this, it won't take more than 15 minutes" and then completely forgot about it. I forget my snus pretty often these days as well.

>It's only an extra 15 minutes
>You have the willpower
>Light waits baby

I smoke about 6 cigarettes a week (I don't smoke everyday). Am I going to die Veeky Forums ?

Yes. Everybody is gonna die eventually. You'll just die slightly quicker than most.

I believe what you need is a solid goal and reason to give up. The better health might be too abstract for too many people to give up the habit, you need something that is personal and important to you as a catalyst to drop the habit. Do you have children? My friend stopped smoking, when her daughter pretended she was smoking with a prezel stick. You need a reason to give fuel for you to stop and have iron determination. The people i've heard that have stopped smoking for good are the people I know, that smoked heavily and just decided at one day, that it's enough and quit. How about start doing an activity that requires strong longs? How about you buy yourself that new suit / shirt / sweater, that you don't want to ruin with the smell, or socialize with the friends that don't smoke for awhile. Point being, man is a reasonable animal, and needs to havea train of thought of reasons outweighting others. Don't become hedonistic. That said, i hope the people who make the decission of quitting stick to it. it builds character to break habits. Good luck.

Well... there's entropy.

How the fuck do you smoke two packs a day when you can't smoke indoors at most bars and it's banned from workplaces? Did you constantly cancel work to go out and smoke?

It starts gradually. People don't realize they're addicted before it's too late. Just saying it's retarded is retarded when you've never dealt with nicotine which is an incredibly addictive substance.

Oly lifters smoke a cig between sets. They also drink beer, but that's another story.

>not giving into the crawings of having a could bear
>not going to make it

A cold bear LOL

You're fucking retarded.

Real advice here, I smoked from age 16 to 21, haven't smoked in 2+ years. start smoking rolled natural tobacco, get used to that shit (couple months at least, stop smoking cigs entirely), and then try quitting, nicotine gums or vape, whatever. Big baby steps if you can't just cold turkey.

Even if you give up a long the way, natural tobacco is better than cigs, and gums/vape are better than either of those.

Me too. I run about 3 - 5 miles five days a week. It is possible.

I quit heroin and find quitting cigarettes alot fucking harder than dope.

The point is even smoking the first cigarette is retarded.

>hurr durr you've never tried heroin
>you dont know how addicting it is

And yes ofc i have dealt with nicotine,
I live in a place where weed is pretty fucking strong. And it is always mixed with alot of tobacco, i remember one night i couldn't fall afsleep because i really wanted a cig.
Bu then i thought, "holy shit, it would be the most retarded thing on earth to actually start smoking" so i rode it out and eventually fell afsleep.

Never felt the need again

just dont smoke brah get into vaping or this eletronic shit but stop this and drinking too beuase of triggers

Problem is that when you smoke 40 a day you feel like shit and they taste awful, and a lot of mucus comes from your lower and upper airways. If you quit then going back doesn't seem too amazing.

But when you smoke 4 a day, you feel like a million dollars and they taste real good. If you quit then you'll always have the cravings, and rightly so. Smoking 4 is a wonderful experience. My granddad smoked 5 cigarettes for 15 years before he quit for good. The next twenty years he had cravings. Then he died of lung cancer. Sounds cliché but is a true story. He's my first grandparent that died. My other grandfather also smoked a lot and he has severe peripheral vascular disease. Fucker can't walk more than 100m before severe pain sets in. It's disabling.

My dad also doesn't look so good. He's 55 now and you can clearly see the decades of smoking. Funny thing is he's an internist. I smoke about 10. They are about 5€ in my country.

No shit. For heroin you just quit seeing some people, or move. But cigarettes can be bought everywhere at everytime in my city. Literally no matter where you are within the city, you can buy them in under 5 minutes at 3 AM. And they are still somewhat compatible with normal functioning.

If you give yourself into being fit you will quit.

I stopped smoking the moment I decided to get back to my old forms.

I had enough of being a sulky little dipshit. What if I have to work 18 hours, I can stil ltrain 1 hours and sleep a bit less and continue the next day.

I will find my rest, I will find my way to build testosterone, I will find my way to make my gains.

You know why I can do that? It is simple because I respect my body because I know it will never give up on me. It will never forget the times I have gone through with him.
What if I was a sickcunt two years ago and now am a fucking fat slop. My body remembers my muscles, my body remembers how it was back in those day. The moment I start up it goes on rampage and gives an extacy feeling. I can feel my body crying for more lifts.

If you really respect yourself and body, you will quit smoking and fucking cherish that body of yours. Make it feel amazing. THAT IS WHAT BEING Veeky Forums IS ABOUT!

I work in a restaurant and it's almost impossible not to smoke. It's the hightlight of the day to go out back for a smoke and talk shit with co-workers.

when I'm sober, i hate cigarettes.

when I'm drunk, i need cigarettes.

I smoke around 3-4 cigs a day and I love it. It helps me relaxe at work and I love having a cold beer or whiskey and a cigarette to end the day. I might quit eventually since my family has a history of heart disease though.

Group pressure is a thing and for people who have stressful jobs, being able to smoke a cig in the breaks is a great relief. That's how people gradually end up smoking.

But I'm sure you just think those reasons are "retarded" as well.

>tfw drunk everyday
>tfw quitting smoking is almost impossible

>4 a day

how would that do anything to your breathing? I smoke 30-35 a day and after 6 years I notice it's effects on my cardio

I used to smoke a pack and a half a day for 9 years op

I quit 9 months ago

get a vape box

Its the most hassle free way to quit instantly, your lungs will go back to normal and you will go through the hole phlegm process and get your taste and smell back

Smoked some joints and think you got addicted to nicotine?

You must be the biggest retard on the planet if you think remotely comparable to smoking for 5+ years day in, day out building an actual addiction.

This. I didn't start smoking until last year at 24 when my stress levels were absolutely through the roof. I worked in a very busy restaurant and there was a lot of drama with coworkers. It got so bad I was actually going to kill myself but I stopped and said 'okay, try to calm down. this isn't that serious. just try to find something that will take the pressure off' and I bought my first pack that night.

If I hadn't started smoking I definitely would have had a mental breakdown at that restaurant and I don't want to think about where I'd be now if that had happened. And since I started I've only had one suicidal episode whereas before they were happening every few months.

Fact: many depressed people smoke, the nicotine really DOES help you cope with shit.

>drinking every day
>visits Veeky Forums

hmmm

The longer you delay, the harder it is to quit and the more damage you have.
I quit over 7 years ago. It was hard AF, I gained 20 but lost it again. I went to the doctor for meds, and used the patch (with his supervision too). You can do it but you really have to want to. I never smoked another either. Zero tolerance for backsliding. I'm afraid I'd get hooked again and it was tough and expensive enough to even quit once. I don't crave them anymore, even if I drink alcohol but they say that varies with the person. I also don't sit around with smokers either though so that may be why I don't crave it.

Just bite the bullet and quit, don't drag it out. If you've decided to quit, quit.

Bro shut the fuck up, tobacco does give you a high, and yea its not like weed or alc obviously but nicotine has effects that people love including me, i only get that nicotine rush for the first cig of the day i smoke and it changes how i feel for a long time.
Nicotine is IMO the most underrated drug of all time, its also one of the best

>tfw I smoke whenever I can get a free one
>tfw I can't afford to eat half the time so I had no choice but to stop smoking

if I wasn't living in poverty I'd start smoking a pack a day again in an instant but I'm so broke I can't afford to feed myself everyday

I wasn't in that bad of a financial situation but I figured why waste 80 dollars a week on cigarettes when I could spend it on something worth buying

Yeah I have 10-11$ a week for food so cigarettes aren't an option

>tfw if I bought a pack of cigarettes I'd have no money to eat for a week

i smoke because i like too and don't plan on quitting because i fucking like it

come at me faggots

I'm the first one in my family to ever stop smoking.
Feelsgoodman
Just don't quit and then get all preachy with your senpai.
Yes they will give you shit about quitting but it's just their own guilty conscience because they know they really should quit too. (But probably won't)
Smile and stay cool.

I quit, I gained, I lost it. It's not a big deal. Sacrificing your health for your temporary vanity?
Nah, man. It's better to quit and just deal with any weight gain. Most people don't gain over 20 pounds at max anyway and the motivated ones lose it. Plus it's easier to train for the rest of your life since your lungs and stamina will improve after quitting.