I'm disgusted with myself. I was down to 168, without lifting or anything...

I'm disgusted with myself. I was down to 168, without lifting or anything. And life/etc got my distracted so now I am back up to 200. I am 5'8, male.

I now have a barbell/300 + lbs in plates. But I need to wait till I get a bench/rack.

In the meantime. How much weight should I focus on losing again before starting a bulk/cut cycle?

bump

Depends on your goals. You don't HAVE to lose any weight, ever.

That being said, I'm 5'11" 170 and 1/2/3/3.5 easily and I still think I have a gut, so as you're a bit shorter I would say drop to 150 before bulking or you'll just hate yourself

sounds like a plan. I was watching what I ate like a hawk for a while and I was down to 168. The fact that I am all the way back to 200 makes me sick.

woman on the right looks like ted cruz for real

Why do you need to wait until you get a bench/rack? Seems like an excuse to me.

Deadlift
Romanian deadlift
Straight leg deadlift
Hack Squat
45 row
Tbar Row
Bent row
Clean
Power Clean
Front squat
Ohp
Curls

The list goes on.

Well I'm just new to this whole ordeal. And I want to do it right. I need to strengthen my core, arms, legs, etc. As of right now the 45-ish pound barbell is heavy as is for me.

I need to get into a routine but I could use some help, not to sound lazy.

Good news. You can learn all these lifts off of youtube, and you can find a progression program anywhere on the internet, the sticky on this sub has a few. First off, what are your goals?

I'd like to have a semi-respectable beach body look before next summer. And to get flexible/strong enough to go snowboarding. But that takes a flexibility program like starting stretching.

i've got the stronglifts 5x5 app and whatnot. I just havent started that program because I'm short on cash when it comes to the $350-ish power rack. Not to mention I'm low on space where I currently live. And dropping a barbell would put it through the floor.

I want muscle, seeing as I basically have none, and I know that obv requires eating right. And having muscle helps burn calories faster.

whoops, tagged myself

This man speaks the truth. I kept convincing myself I needed to be in the gym, but I have weights at home and with the different amount of squat variations, overhead presses, reverse curls, deadlifts, etc there is no need for you to be waiting around on a bench.

Do the 5x5 program with deads and rows until you can afford a rack. If you're really feeling like you're serious about this whole thing, add cleans/power cleans to your program. From the clean position you can front squat and OHP. So basically the only thing you cant do is bench, and you can fill that spot with push ups. Weighted ones once you get stronger.

5x5 is basic as shit and pretty hard to fuck up. Just keep reading and researching. People here hate him, but Mark Rippetoe has excellent videos on youtube breaking down form on all these lifts.

Yeah

I've been practicing squats on/off without a bar. If I am even doing it right, I can barely reach parallel, letalone going ass to grass. And I seemingly lean forward a bit because if I try to go down as if sitting in a chair I nearly fall on my ass.

What "how to" vids have you watched on the subject?

I've watched the proper squat form vids from Rippetoe/Buff Dudes

When it comes to the OHP/etc. Would it be safe doing them outside? The only real issue there is uneven ground.

I'm dead serious on turning myself around. I just don't want to do shit wrong and end up injuring myself. My lower back is already sore as hell from being lazy as shit. And if I do the bike pedaling motion I get a tender pain in my upper left groin/leg area.

Go see a fucking doctor about that. Seriously. And yes I do all of my lifts outside in the Florida heat.

Not sure about Buff Dudes, but rippletits usually has good vids. Check out Alan Thralls squat videos for more tips. You can always take a form video and post it here or reddit for critique.

As far as outside lifting, just make sure about even ground like you pointed out, otherwise I see no problem with it. I lift outside occasionally.

Happy to hear you're serious. Take things slow, its a lifestyle not a race. Learn proper form. Watch videos from everyone, even watching pro competitions and the Olympics has helped me. The 5x5 can't be beat for a beginner program, these first 3-5 months are all about form and not so much strength although you will build that too.

Also don't over think things so much. You will be able to make plenty of progress with just the few excersises you can do with your barbell and weights.

Meh about the Doctor. Foam roll and stretching will probably take care of the inflammation.

Ok so I should do SS but replace the benching with pushups until I can get my rack/bench. Otherwise I should be good to go, right?

Do I need to add a stretching/etc routine to go with it or can I just jump right in/work slowly into the lifting routine? (Sorry for prob dumb questions but I just want to get it right from the getgo).

I've gotta re-read up on the program but I believe it's like a minute rest in between sets.

Def not going to overthink it this time around, that does more harm than good.

yeah I gotta pick one up, I also saw that using a tennis ball helps loosen up the groin/etc area.

Correct, and drop squats too unless you feel like you have flexibility enough to do a clean and front squat. Honestly you could just replace squats with more deadlifts and get really boss at deads, especially since you're starting with bar weight only.

Take as much rest in between sets as you need. Youll notice you need more as weight increases. I usually just let my heart rate drop to a near resting range and then go for the next set.

As far as stretching. Adding a stretching regiment to your fitness program will only give you benefits. As you increase flexibility you'll be able to use yourself more efficiently. Youtube for basic stretches and then use variations to suit your individual pains.

As far as when to stretch. Personally I let the warm up portion of my lifting stretch me out and then I'd do a 30 minute stretch + 15 minutes of foam rolling if I needed it on the rest day in between workouts. But do you, you might like stretching pre lift, just listen to your body.

A lot of weight lifting is CNS control and its important to really feel the motion of each lift when learning form. You've heard of muscle memory, that's what you're trying to form over these first 3 months. Its important to take it slow and get it right so you don't have to rehab once the weights get heavy.

yeah, and squats will probably be a lot safer and whatnot once I get the rack. It's a long ways off but I def don't want the chicken legs. So i'll have to work them in eventually lol.

If you're doing 2x what the program calls for in deadlifts you will not have chicken legs, just sayin. Deadlift strength translates a fair bit to back squats. So when you're ready to jump in with your rack you'll be killing them squats.

yeah, and I've def gotta make sure my shoulder is good enough to do anything. I broke my rotator cuff when I was 8 (im 25 now. And I am always hearing a popping/cracking sound when I lift it up/rotate it.

I've got nerve damage in my hand/etc too, maybe from too much computer use along with the stroke I had as a baby. But my hand likes to go numb quick, and heavy shit makes it hurt.

Unrelated but in the same arm, if I am lifting something too heavy I can get slight discomfort in my bicep/tricep. Is that just normal from being too much weight for the arm?

Good to know, thanks.

wrong

They are two totally different exercises and he'd have a huge imbalance.

this