Did Alexandros' conquests really accomplish anything?

Did Alexandros' conquests really accomplish anything?

At least with the Roman Empire, there's long term infrastructure and societal development. With Alexander, all he did was kill a lot of people, and then set up some Macedonian dynasties that lasted for centuries. But these empires didn't really seem all that functionally different than the ones they replaced, just the ruling family are Macedonian rather than native.

History is 20/20, but if he had gone West, and conquered the Italian peninsula, he could have prevented the rise of the Roman Empire. Alexandros could have then created the Roman Empire, before the Roman Empire was even started, and could have prevented Macedon/Hellas from being defeated by Rome in the coming centuries.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ἀλέξανδρος#Ancient_Greek
behindthename.com/name/alexander
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

who the fuck is alexandros?

Greeks and Syrians and even Afghanis had a few centuries of Hellenistic rule, so yes.

Cultural hellenization of the East and the cucking of the Iranians are the only lasting impacts of Alexander's conquests.

Hellenization's importance for philosophy and social development through the near east goes basically without saying. In many ways, Alexander laid the groundwork for later Roman rule, and the interplay between Judaism and Hellenism is incredibly significant to Judea's development. And, of course, fucking up the Persians and forcing the Parthians to piece the empire back together allowed for the Romans to conquer the entire Mediterranean.

Other than that, there are some cultural impacts, like Alexander's legacy influencing the rise of men like Julius Caesar, but nothing quite as singularly important as hellenization was.

>hellenization
I dont know why ancient greeks did that, i guess they were jealous of the ME culture and wanted it gone

His successor states subdued the east during the rise of Rome. If not for him, Rome may not have extended as Far East as it did.

Eh, with a few exceptions, Hellenization didn't seem to annihilate any cultures; not like Latinization which straight-up destroyed the Celtic languages within the territories of the empire. Instead, Hellenic culture mostly coexisted with the local one. Greek never completely supplanted Aramaic, Armenian, Jewish, or Egyptian cultures. I think only in Thrace and Western Anatolia can we say that the local cultures died out after the Greeks moved in.

Even then it was like over a thousand years of Hellenic influence, right up until Byzantium started declining.

>alexandros
Who
Anyways he inspired great leaders like pompei, napoleon, and caeser
His conquest lead to mass hellenization of the east and west
The fact that people still debate his conquest so heavily while cyrus is usually glossed over is evidence of his influence

>History is 20/20, but if he had gone West, and conquered the Italian peninsula, he could have prevented the rise of the Roman Empire.
There was nothing of value to find in the West. All of the early industry was in the East. All of the valuable trade goods, raw and processed, were in the East. The most valuable farmland, which Greece has a notorious lack of, was actually in the South, but holding Egypt would be difficult without a land connection through Judea, so East it is.

Without certain key technologies that would be developed much later, most of Western and Central Europe just weren't worth much.

>Who

Alexandros Megas.

But it did, i hate ancient greeks for that

And which cultures might those be?

The Hittites? The Galatians? The Thracians?

Why is it a pic of Phyrrus?

>hey guys, have you here'd of this guy called plato?
>No
>here's some of his works
>WOW HELLA THIS SHITS PRETTY LIT MY DUDE
>I WANNA BE LIKE YOU

Even if he went west the same thing would have happened and his empire would have collapsed into warring successor states. Seeing as how his plan to rule was just a giant cult of personality I don't see how he could have done much to prevent it's fall. If his father had started his conquests as planned however...

He died early, and it may have been due to malaria or some other disease. If he had gone West, he might have avoided that fate. With age he could have solidified his rule.

English doesn't have grammatical case like Greek otherwise there might be a very similar rendition in Old English but even in both languages it wouldn't always be in the nominal just English conventions have made it that way. In Alexander's case the -os is dropped and an auxiliary vowel is added before the -r like in Antipater, Cassander, Cleopater, Lysander, Menander, and Peter.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ἀλέξανδρος#Ancient_Greek

WIthout him Christianity couldn't have spread

True. But I have seen some historians try and pin his death on his alcoholism. If that's true, there isn't much he could have done to stave off liver failure.

Im talking about ME
>implying they didnt have their own philosophers to look up to
>implying only greeks had historians, philosophers, art, science, etc

>implying hellenic culture is superior

Lol, im not surprised to find people like you here

How?

>we need to translate all nouns into English because learning foreign pronunciation and terminology is too confusing

Okay
Quote some mesopotamian philosophers fron the pre islamic era who wheren't heavily influenced by greeks
I'll wait

>the nominal is the only case

Well the first hellenic philosopher went to babylon to study so that means babylonians taught him philosophy

Brainlet

I would say say yes. Hellenization was just more like the loose Americanization we know today; there was no solidified drive to assimilate other cultures; simply, for Greek culture to take its place among them to create a mix. Hellenic-Levantine; Hellenic-Iranian; so forth.

Additionally, the Greeks impacted the Romans as well. In effect, we still feel the basis for many Greek customs: Take drinking with friends. Drinking and talking; casual hanging-out. That comes, distantly, from Greek symposium and from the Roman convivium. Look at the number of Greek-derived words we use just in every day life. "Butter". "Bishop". "Oil". All these words, and many more, have Greek background.

The hypothetical is, due respect, pointless. He had no reason to go West. If Hitler had not invaded the Soviet Union, he probably could've won the war. But he had no reason not to go into Eastern Europe/Russia because of liebenstraum.

Whatever the case, Hellenic art, language, and culture have left their mark wherever it existed. Greece is a shithole today, but I give Hellenization credit for have affected history for as long as it has.

>we still feel the basis for many Greek customs: Take drinking with friends. Drinking and talking; casual hanging-out. That comes, distantly, from Greek symposium and from the Roman convivium
What?

Fertile crescent didnt have those???
Pic related

It's his Greek name shitlord.

Alexandros = Protector of men.

behindthename.com/name/alexander

He wanted to go west but he died too young

Better than arabization/Islamization that came later

He COULD have gone west, but the entire point of the Persian expedition was to liberate the Ionian Greeks and eliminate the Persian menace which had threatened the Greek world for centuries. At that point in history Rome was still a third-rate power fighting with the Samnites, and there wasn't much to indicate that it would go on to conquer the entire Mediterranean. Like you said, history is 20/20, but going east was basically his only option.

His empire and its successors deposited a Greek diaspora which influence culture, architecture, philosophy, science, and art in the middle east. Greek motifs are still found in Islamic architecture and Greek philosophy was the basis for the Isfahan school and the work of Avicenna.

>you should only listen to philosophers from your geographic region
Y tho?
How do you justify using the internet in general for communication and hold that belief?

>European education

Koine Greek