How to build upper pecs on Starting Strength without affecting recovery?

how to build upper pecs on Starting Strength without affecting recovery?

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/article/the_first_three_questions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

oh shit, we got tiny people

"recovery" is bullshit, no such thing as over training unless you're already years in

Dips if you want it to still be SS. Incline bench, dumbbell flyes, if you don't mind Rip sitting in your fridge giving you evil looks.

what about pull-ups?

I can't tell you what to do, but if you ask me the beauty of Starting Strength lies in its simplicity.
Even if you add some auxiliary exercises e.g. standing calf raises and straight bar curls for your calves and arms, you'll probably still find that your soleus and brachialis end up lacking development from a bodybuilder's perspective. But even a bodybuilder can't hit everything at once and is going to have to shift his focus around from time to time.
It's OK that the clavicular part of your pectoralis major may not be maximally stimulated during your time on Starting Strength. You can always bring it up later. Besides, overhead presses do hit the upper pecs.

Your main objective at this time is to get your numbers up as quickly as possible. Don't let anything distract you from this goal or you risk ending up just fucking around.

>pull-ups
>upper pecs

>"recovery" is bullshit
I seriously hope you don't mean this literally.

if you're a beginner you should train as often as you possibly can

I think I know where you're coming from, but I don't agree. If a beginner follows that recommendation he's more likely to fuck something up than to do things right.

true, but you literally can't go enough if you are just starting out.. squeeze out them fast gains as hard as possible

I squeezed your moms rack as hard as possible

damn son i did that too when I was a baby.. you way late

i got same problem but with my lower pecs

Thanks for the reply. Should I avoid doing accessories altogether? If not, which ones should I do?

Upper pecs are a fucking meme.

It's all one muscle.

You ARE bench pressing, right?

For the THOUSANDTH time, chin ups are part of The Fucking Program.

Not sure what they have to do with upper pecs, but you should be doing them anyway

chin-ups and what else?
I currently do
A:
Squat
Bench
Deadlift
Pullups
B:
Squat
OHP
Pendlay rows

If you're doing SS, you're a beginner and don't need to target specific parts any more than the full-body workout does already. When you move on from SS, you can choose a more targeted routine.

That said, SS is ridiculously low volume because it's designed for athletes who are also training in their sports. You can do a whole lot more and recover easily from it.

>Should I avoid doing accessories altogether?
No. The standard recommendation is to add chin-ups and dips. If dips are too difficult, good old push-ups are a good substitute and very underrated.
If you have more energy, you can add curls, triceps extension, calf raises and ab work, and possibly some rear delt work. As little as 2 sets of these can make a difference. The important thing is that you DON'T let any assistance work detract focus from your main lifts. Remember your priorites.

Note that you don't have to do all your assistance work on the same day. You can do some exercises one day and other on the next day. And allow yourself to be flexibile with these. If you're completely toast one day, just do your 3 main lifts and go home. If you're on fire, feel free to do an extra set or exercise.

Thanks a lot. I go to the gym later today, should I just start doing 3x5 chin ups today and 3x5 dips next time?
I'll probably have to do assisted dips.
Do I stick with 3x5 and add weight once I get stronger?

Spoken like a retard who did a shitty brosplit and therefore never had to lift any actual weight.

One does not get bigger and stronger by lifting weights, one gets bigger and stronger by recovering from lifting weights. This requires rest days, unless you're on a LOT of steroids.

>Should I avoid doing accessories altogether?

You should avoid them until you're finished with your beginner LP. Consult this article to see if you're actually finished with the LP or if you're just doing it wrong: startingstrength.com/article/the_first_three_questions

This might just be a misunderstanding, but when I say Chin Ups, I mean "underhand" grip. I take Pull Ups to mean "overhand" grip.

Do the underhand grip JUST outside (your pinkies should not be wider than your shoulders) your shoulders. This will cause maximum bicep involvement, allowing you to do more chin ups, or if you can do more than 10 reps in a set, allow you to use more weight. This makes you stronger. AND it'll make your biceps bigger, which is fun.

>The standard recommendation is to add chin-ups and dips.

Buttfucking hell, CHIN UPS ARE PART OF THE PROGRAM

You illiterate fucking clods.

Besides that, dips are totally unnecessary for a beginner who is already pressing heavy literally every workout.

>should I just start doing 3x5 chin ups today and 3x5 dips next time?
No, do the dips and chins for higher reps. 8-15 is a good number to shoot for. Work up in reps over time and when you hit 15, it's time to add some weight and start over.
Like I said, if you can't do dips yet (which few people can actually) start out with push-ups, but try to make them tough and strict - it's an excellent exercise.
If you can't do more than only a few chin-ups at a time, shoot for a total amount of reps (25 is a good number) and just aim to complete that total amount in as little time as possible, doesn't matter how many sets it takes.

Be that as it may, I'm trying to actually help the guy while you're just sitting in the corner screaming.
Man, sometimes you've just got to look at where the people you're talking to stands and take it from there, regardless of what's "part of the program". I don't disagree with you, but come on.

So I'm having trouble squatting from old injuries to my knees from sportsing when I was younger.

Now 25 and doing the practical programming routine. I think its basically SS without cleans, substituted with deadlifts.

Unfortunately, my knees are trashed, so Ive been doing eccentric reps on the leg press below bodyweight, and at volume (pain has almost disappeared since I started this). Go down on one leg. Come up with two.

Can anything else help with my knees?

I don't want to be chestbrah mode with no legs.

Pic related.

Incline Bench Press 5x10 @ 50% of 1RM

If you care about the size of your pecs in the first place just do beginner bodybuilding routine like Reg Park's Beginner, All Pro's Beginner, Fierce 5, GreySkull LP with arm plug ins, Ice Cream Fitness etc instead of a beginner fucking strength routine you autists?

I did a two week thing when I just did AxAxAxx to get up my bench. Do your dips and deads and you're ohp and rows won't drop too much.

Bob Marley is the greatest, swear to god
>cause none of them-a can-a stop-a the time

Incline bench helped my upper chest dramatically.

Went from 85kg x 5 - 107.5kg for 8

For starters stop worrying about shit oike that on a program that you will run for the first 2-6 months of your lifting career. You don't even know if your upper pecs need extra stimulation at this point.

Anyone?