How people of this place see themselves? A part of Western Civilization or something else?

How people of this place see themselves? A part of Western Civilization or something else?

Paraguayan here.

Latin America isn't ready to be called Western Civilization,not yet, just give us a bit more time to catch up

Everyone who fall for the retard system of republicanism and political party are western

first define "western civilization"
If you look it from an Anglo perspective, we aren't.
If you look it from an cultural heritage, we totally are:
>same languages, architecture, religion, latin-based writings, ETC ...
The only thing that separates us from Europe is race, which some are white, some are not, some are Mediterraneans, some are not.

The "Latinos/Hispanics aren't white/western" is just a meme from people who think that if you are not anglo, or live in Europe, you're not western

Dragon Ball Empire

No. Spain isn't Western either.

>Latinos/Hispanics aren't white
I mean... Statistically, the vast majority are not. Most are mestizo and self report as white due to social status.

yeah, but I'm refering to the fact that almost everyone generalizes that latinos aren't white, since latino/hispanic its not a race to begin with, its a localism and/or heritage
But thats common on this board, I got over it at this point

>Generalizes that Latinos aren't white
Which isn't a bad generalization because, again, the vast majority are not. I don't know what you're expecting here. It's like telling people you're African and then being surprised they think you're black instead of Maghreb or whatever.

well, that's a matter of race, but I'm also talking about culture. Africa its divided in three parts, Maghreb (muslim), sub-saharian (black/negro), and the westernized parts of SouthAfrica. This makes easy where to draw the line in Africa
But in Latin America, the whole sub-continent is culturally European, like I said before:
>same languages, architecture, religion, latin-based writings, ETC ...

>is culturally European
Partially. It's also fairly culturally distinct from Europe in many areas due to the Columbian exchange creating a blending of cultures between Old World and New. On top of this, the colonial and post-colonial governments treated it as a non-European entity and as such, many traditions either didn't make it or were drastically altered. They don't even speak the same as their European counterparts.

True, but keep in mind that some places in LatAm mixed a lot, other didn't, or not as much. A lot of these countries are still developing, and thanks to TV and the Internet, its been very fast. But our mixing its pretty much like the mixing of Mediterranean culture and Celtic/Norse culture during the Middle Ages, the big diference is that Native Americans and Europeans are more cultural and genetically distant.

Absolutely none of that helps your argument so I'm going to assume that you're finally coming to terms with the fact that Latin America is not white and, despite a few shared traditions (which often differ from their European counterparts), is not culturally European either. Thanks for playing, Jose.

Argentina and Paraguay come to mind when being almost completely European in culture, but they're also the least mixed in the SAmericas.

>They don't even speak the same as their European counterparts.
So we dont talk spanish or something?

You don't even live here, a lot of places here are pretty much like Spain

What the fuck are you talking about?

Roman Catholicism is the dominant religion in those countries, historically and culturally they take a lot from Spain or Portugal, both in western Europe. They listen to Rome for inspiration, they are undoubtedly western at least on a superficial level. They were colonized before the US and Canada, so they have an older colonial history, but these areas were also home to great populations of civilization.

Though you're right, many people in these countries genetically are mostly Amerindian, but most are actually a mix. There are definitely white people who live in these countries that are 100% european though. And you can tell in some of the folklore that a lot of modern beliefs, a popular example would be Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) in Mexico, which is based on an Aztec belief if I'm not mistaken. All cultures do this, continue native practices even while appropriating new ones.

The truth is they are undoubtedly western, but definitely have a unique mix of culture making them on the fringe of what is considered "western", since they are a hybrid culture, you could say.

I spent 3 years in Panama and 2 in Colombia. Literally fuck off.

Tu no habla ethpanol pero espanol, pendejo

Yeah, Europe is notorious for carrying around thermos' full of hot water to pour into gourds full of ground leaves that need to be drunk through a special filtered straw. Absolutely indistinguishable.

Only the Southern countries are Western. The rest are mongrels

this tbqh
most latinamerican countries are some kind of diluted hybrid of western civilization, even the southern cone

>HURR they're catholics!

So Africa is European and Western, too?

Whatever the Jews want them to see themselves as

Chilean here. Maybe we'd progress more without concerning ourselves with meaningless shit like race, everyone is mixed to hell nowadays, racial purity just means you are an inbred.
This mental struggle to align ourselves with the western world is nonsense, we are chileans, that's our identity. We don't need to impress no one but ourselves.
Seriously, who are we trying to impress anyways? Some basement dwellers on the internet?

>Central America
Why user

Why exclude Guyana and Surinam BUT include French Guyana on this map?

Guayana and Surinam arent part of Latin America you fucking amerifat

Mexican here, I know we are not the worst that's fine I see myself as part of one more of the U.S economic slaves

>Western Civilization
Spooks

Paraguay is literally a spanish/guarani(indigenous) bilingual state.
I'm sure you were referring to Uruguay

As latin american. We are our own cultural zone that fuses european, indigenous and african culture. We are too distinct from the west to be properly called westerners. Even our language drifted from Castilian spanish to the point that it will be its own language in a few more centuries.

>to the point that it will be its own language in a few more centuries.
What the fuck? How?

Colombian here
To me it's a hard question. First, one have to bear in mind that the basis of our culture is not that similiar to Spain's culture as one could think at first, nor similar to the aboriginal tribes (they didn't even had a way to spread their culture)

Second, paramount to Latin America's cosmovision are the independence wars and the cold war, both having in common that there are foreign powers using latin american countries as bargain chips; naturally, a reaction is generated and broadly, that reaction manifests itself in mainly two ways: Brotherhood of latin americans (all we were ex-colonies of Iberia, all we were-are bargain chips to foreign powers) and rejection to external influence due to the same reasons formerly exposed.

Therefore, I'd say that Latin Americans see themselves as latin americans, separated from the west but somehow linked to the west.

>Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) in Mexico, which is based on an Aztec belief
that's purely w*Stern

Much of the catholicism is mixed with native religion and practices. In some parts its practically pagan and differs a lot from catholicism in europe.

It's not. It is a mix of the two and it is not only based on the aztec tradition but rather dead ceremonies of various indigenous cultures. The orange flower imagery of the popular day of the dead stereotype you're thinking of is more. Purepecha thing.

Because French Guyana is? It's part of fucking EU.

>Purepecha thing.
source

Latin America isnt a politic union you fucking dumbass is a cultural one, Guayana and Surinam were British and Dutch colonies that is why they arent part but French Guayana is part of the Latin World (Portuguess, Italian, Spanish, French and Romanian speaking countries)

I don't really understand why we lump Latin America into one civilization in theory when countries like Mexico and Argentina have such wildly different cultures and levels of Native American blend. I think that some countries could easily be classified as a subset of Western Civilization, kind of like how there's a Mediterranean and Nothern European "West", and others are more appropriately hybrids between Western and Native traditions.