Hey Veeky Forums who trains a martial art?

Hey Veeky Forums who trains a martial art?
>Western or eastern?
>how does it go with your other training?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FDnYNroUmNs
youtu.be/GXO9FrZ1N9s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I used to and quit because I realized I just wanted to be big.

What did you train in?

Military Taekwon Do. 5 years. Blackbelt grading on the 11th.

I was thinking about getting into BJJ for fun.

My local gym was full of guys with tribal tattoos, wearing Oakleys and Nickleback tshirts and none of them wore cups and you'd feel a boner once or twice a week.

I was lead to believe that BJJ types are generally humble, kind and intelligent, but I found the group in my gym to be a bunch of douchey curlbros with something to prove.

Maybe I had bad luck, or maybe it's just Florida.

Japanese jujitsu > bjj, bjj is tapout mma faggot central

Muay Thai

It was alright and I felt like I'm learning to actually defend myself or at least throw a few punches and kicks. Howewer I stopped because my trainer was a manlet retard with R Lee Ermey personality and forced us to do crossfit with some of the most pointless, bullshit routines.

One day I was tired of his bullshit and told him that I respect his martial arts knowledge but I'm not gonna do his routine since I think it's not that effective for me (or something like that, I wasn't rude or anything) and he told me if I don't like that I can fuck right off. So I did.

It was a shame, it was fun and nice change from my normal workout, but fuck, that guy was asshole. I'l maybe pick it up again with someone else.

What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't mommy and daddy explain to you that kipping pullups are more effective for strength and conditioning?

i have been training bjj for 2 years and have never seen a person on the mat wear tap out.

First off, I train a modern blended martial arts consisting of techniques assembled from 25 different types of ancient arts from around the world. I have been training under this system for 4 years, we use chinese terminology since we start at white belts learning wing chun

First of all, there are martial arts for combat, martial arts for fitness, and martial arts for sport

Martial arts for combat will not get you Veeky Forums but it will teach you to defend yourself when necessary

Martial arts for sport or fitness will do wonders for your health, but in a real fight you would be assfucked (taekwondo is a good example...never try to head-kick somebody unless theyre already stumbling)

In my case, I train for combat and self defense, so the exercises I do are made to make you strong and fast, not glamorous and bulky. So I have to supplement my training with gym time and various sports such as running, rock climbing, and swimming.

the truth of the matter is, my teacher is short, stocky as fuck, and extremely heavy with a big belly. This is ideal for an actual fighter because you utilize a low center of gravity with belly fat to protect your organs in case of a blade altercation.

That's why boxers are top-heavy and have no fat, because they are training to compete in a sport. This is not practical for real combat or self defense.

gr8 b8 m8

to clarify before I get flamed for this. Taekwondo CAN be an effective fighting system because if you train long enough, you will achieve kung fu(greatly skilled man) status, but traditionally(as standardized by the korean government), it lacks ground work, body toughening, chi work, and joint locks. That's why most TKD schools supplement their classes with BJJ

Personally, I love doing flashy taekwondo kicks but if I were trying to fight, I would keep my feet planted on the fuckin ground and my kicks below the waist

I have defeated countless opponents using Aikido, and they always ask me, Why are you so strong?

I answer, I'm not strong, you are.

Aikido uses the strength of the attacker back at them but 10 times stronger(estimate). Using Aikido and I can probably kill a charging Rhino using it's force right back at it, of course, I'm not going to try it, way to dangerous for any sane person.

I recommend practicing Aikido for every /jp/edo, as you are all physically weak, and Aikido is specialized for the weak to defend against the strong.

youtube.com/watch?v=FDnYNroUmNs

A 50 year old man with cerebral palsy doing Aikido, very touching.

are you familiar with aikido and jiu jitsu's predecessor, aikijiujitsu? It was designed by samurai for when they are disarmed on the battlefield. What are you opinions on this one?

I believe you should learn Aikido. Now I know you may be thinking, "Why take a weakling martial art like Aikido seriously when I am learning Taekwondo?" I can see why you would think that, how can a peaceful martial arts like Aikido beat a powerful one like Taekwondo?

Well, I have a story to share with you.

Years ago, I was a Kendoka, I thought I was the toughest kid in high school, I would pick fights, and kick ass. I was full of hate, until I picked a fight with the wrong dude. He was a Japanese exchange student, I still remember his name, Noboru Takeda.

I picked on him because of his hilarious and thick Japanese accent. I told him I was going to beat him so hard, he would go back to China(Yeah, I was a little racist prick.), he never said anything back, made me wanted to kick his ass even harder.

Well, here comes the fight. I threw men and do strikes, he dodged them like I was a mere white belt. I was tiring out and he knew, I saw the smirk on his face that made me raged hard. I put all my strength in one amazing tsuki, and he grabbed past it to my wrist and threw me over. My back smacked on the hard cement ground, and I was knocked out for who knows how long.

When I woke up I was in the school infirmary, I asked the nurse who brought me here, and you guessed it, Noboru Takeda. The next day, he wasn't at school, he was back in Japan, and I never got to thank him, for saving my life and showing me the light. I soon learned that he was an Aikidoka and have been practicing Aikido ever since to show my thanks to him.

Ehh, not great post, but I admit I started laughing at "I threw men and do strikes"

you misunderstood me user. I train aiki jiu jitsu. I only teach TKD to kids for money. Aikido is EXCELLENT but it's what i call a "kinder gentler style" By that i mean it's kinder to break someone's arm than to murder them. Honestly, I think that's way more practical in the street unless you like going to jail

It's a shame what taekwondo has become since it became an Olympic discipline. When I was younger we trained hard. Body toughening, full-contact sparring without protective gear or weight classes, etc. It was closer to kyokushinkai karate than modern fencing-with-the-legs TKD.

Aikido master here.

Yeah, I do. Let me tell you are story.

Last week I went clubbing alone, I'm a tall lanky guy, 6'2, 125lb. So here I am, grinding on this chick when this bulky black manlet comes over and pushes me away from her. He probably thought I would leave and let him take her, wrong. I gently tapped his shoulder and told him to take his leave or he would feel the consequences. Of course, he told me fuck off, but I didn't.

I guess I irritated him enough and he tried to swing at me, I wasn't scared, my years of Aikido training was more than enough for this buffoon. I simply grabbed his hand and reversed the force back at him. He punched himself out.

The rest of the night there was a 4m radius of emptiness around me. No one fucks with Aikido.

Steven Seagal please go

>Military Taekwon Do
Is it any practical?
I mean, would it help me at least a little bit if I get into an actual fight?

youtu.be/GXO9FrZ1N9s

Sorry what?

That guy wasn't a real aikido master.
It is arguably the most powerful martial arts in Japan.

An Aikido practitioner is practically invincible, no one of any martial arts background can ever land a punch or kick on one.

Using the power of the attacker, the Aikido practitioner uses absolutely no energy to knock them down.

Aikido does not deflect attacks. It reverses them, and furthermore: Add more force. A reversed 9mm bullet is more like a fucking cannonball made of burning suns of rage. It could easily tear through a tank.

That is the power of Aikido.
A fearsome martial arts it is.

>bjj is tapout mma faggot central
What gyms have you been training at? Everyone at my gym is nice

I did Shotokan karate for 10 yrs before I got my black belt, got bored and quit.

Recommend me a grappling art to compliment it

14 years tkd, chung do kwan (the origin of the "military tkd" that faggot is on about)
> tkd
2 years mma
A little bjj and judo
Currently doing daido-juku

Well since yiu wasted 10 years on dancing and playing tag there's nothing to compliment. .

Bjj/judo/wrestling/sambo

>the /asp/ shitposting
Good keks, too bad the place is dead.
I started MMA, the first class was veryfun I'm excited for more.

been doing BJJ for a year now it's pretty cool guys :)

it's humbling to see how being strong is only part of it, technique does a lot

Yup, have been in 3 fights (all interjecting to break something up) and it's extremely practical. I specifically mention military style to segregate us from you aren't TKD where they train for point scoring hits. We train a self defence, not a sport. Sure we still do flashy stuff, but the majority is function over form. We also practice ground work because you'd be dumb not to.

If you're interested, the specific branch is Rhee TKD in Australia.

You fucking retard

>tfw dad gives me a tapout shirt while he was in vegas
>he noticed my job was ruining all of of my shirts and he liked getting shirts from his travels
>I am grateful and open the bag and see TAPOUT written in silver glitter
>he goes "you like it user?!"
>i'm like y-yeah dad..!
>wear it to work, nobody cared, still very self conscious
>shirt got destroyed in half a year

I now wear dickies shirts. I have gone 3 years without a rip.

>work 40 hours a week in an armored car
>do pick-ups at big lots all the time
>get part-time weekend job there
>work there for three weeks
>"uniform" is just a black tshirt with an orange exclamation point on the back
>giant bag of them in the back warehouse
>throw them behind dumpster while taking out trash
>pick up later that night
>quit job a couple weeks later
>now i have 52 big lots shirts to use as undershirts/work shirts/shop rags
>milfs always stop me in public and tell me how much they love big lots

feels good

>big lots shirt
whoa you stole a bunch of shirts? That's hilarious.

I've been training in karate for about 6 years now. Sparring will teach you the basics of self defense but at the end of the day it won't make you shredded. Actually some old school retarded teachers can force their students into dumb routines that will fuck up their joins. Better hit the gym if you want to look good, and do jogging for cardio.

I did karate for 3 years as a kid. Regardless of how retarded or not it was. The level of camaraderie and discipline we got was incredible. I think I became a better person because of it. The sensei was really pragmatic and even admitted that we'd be in danger most of the time, even tried to teach us some forms of ground combat. I didn't understand at the time, the ground stuff was the most physically difficult aspect of the class. But it was good he acknowledged the importance of being on the ground. The sparring was fun sometimes, I think there were aspects that definitely trained us. He noticed when we were reading moves, and scolded us for being to predictable. I got physically bigger by age 11 or 12 and he wanted me to join the adults. At that time my parents move away. I never went further with the classes.

I'll always remember the life lessons though.

>Military Taekwon Do

I do Hapkido/combatives

Purple belt in Judo, objectively best grappling martial art.

Bujinkan
Quite well.

I'm currently in a position to take either boxing or judo but only have time to take one. Which one should I take to complement weightlifting?

Judo is about lifting people and slamming their shot in while boxing is about punching niggas.

Judo for back and neck, boxing for arms and shoulders. Do both.

So I want to actually learn how to fight. Like, actually practice fighting.

All the martial arts classes are
>10% shitty warm-up
>30% punching/kicking drills I could do at home
>30% ground work/grappling/wrestling
>20% whatever weird shit the instructor comes up with that day
>10% sparring practice

I've been to four different places, stayed at least a month in each but seriously it's fucking stupid. I feel in no way prepared to fight someone standing up. I'm decent at drunk wresting with my friends but who cares, I want to actually spend a decent amount of time actually fucking sparring not doing stupid shit.

Someone explain to me how to find a decent 'fighting' gym.

The problem isn't the class, it's your lack of will. What you described is the norm for all fighting classes.

I do Baguazhang. I used to have really bad joint and low back pain in my 20's from doing stupid shit as a kid. A friend of mine told me I ought to try it out, so I took some lessons in a nearby town. After about a year my back healed, and my joints don't hurt nearly as much or as often.

I think it's a great compliment for weight lifting, because of dat mobility, flexibility and the general health benefits.

So how is this effective at all? The only thing I felt I progressed was ground work, which is fun but ultimately impractical since willfully going to the ground in a fight is retarded.

I want to fight, and get better at fighting. I guess I'll try a boxing gym next.

I took Judo for eight years. It wasn't an easy start for sure, it takes getting used to. Learning to fight is a similar vein to learning an instrument in the beginning, and once you become more accustomed to it, it gets easier and more smooth to practice.

When will this "muh best art for self defense" meme end? Boxing and judo folks. The only answer.

also throw in some muay thai elbows and knees in there and you're golden

Why is Karate such a meme martial art

Been considering going to a Muay Thai gym near me.

Stupid question, but how much use can a person who is Obese (BMI is 42) actually get out of it? Should I stick to cardio and lifting? Will it be worth the money, time, and effort?

karate mma and boxing
pretty good. get good cardio without losing much gains and is just as fun as lifting

>judo

That's a funny way to spell wrestling.

If I had to pick two I'd say Muay Thai and BJJ

Judo destroys wrestling.

But wrestling is better training to keep the body athletic.

currently in my second year of muay thai

if its anything like my training (had two different trainers)

it'll be around 50 minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of pad sparring, and another 20 minutes of light weightlifting, 20 minutes of rhythm

generally beneficial for literally everyone

Always one autistic fanboy

HEMA in the Lichtenauer tradition. Sparring and wrestling are p. gr8 anaerobic exercise.

>Judo destroys wrestling

lol no. Saying X destroys Y is ridiculous, though I personally believe wrestling is better because of ground work.

>Train Aikido 10-12 hours a week
>Lift 5-6 hours a week

Feels good man. Flexible and good stamina.

>inb4 Aikido is useless irl
>implying I train to street fight

I feel like I'm not coming across clearly. I didn't go to a single class and then quit. I've been through four different instructors on and off for several years. One for eight months before life got in the way, the other three four to two months each before I got annoyed at the way classes were planned out and didn't feel like paying for it anymore.

I don't want to wrestle and do a ton of ground work. Some is fine, an equal amount to sparring practice even would be cool, but a 3-4:1 ground work to sparring ratio is not what I'm looking for. That stuff only prepared me for screwing around with friends, in a real fight I have no clue how I'd react. I want to fix that by going to a class that actually focuses on sparring, not the periphery stuff.

Except it's jujitsu's younger sister and holds back it's techniques to be "sport safe"

So from what I can tell, you simply want to become a better fighter.

These training clubs don't suit your style because *most* are about the sport itself. I would advise to work on boxing, which is straining on the arms, but practice makes perfect.

Still though, perfecting grappling could land you more fights than you think. Say some black thug comes chimping out on you; he will be swinging his arms in all sorts of direction. With Judo, you would be able to manipulate his movement and demolish him.

However, I encourage sticking to boxing if you truly wish to become a better "fighter." My advice is to stick with a fighting style, master it, and move on.

>Muay Thai and BJJ
useless shit compared to freestyle wrestling

Not true brah, I wrestled, and while the styles can probably hold their own against one another, together, they're unstoppable.
Muay Thai + Wrestling=Ability to wreck anyone's shit up.

Also Freestyle wrestling is best style of wrestling. Greco is bad tier and folkstyle is shit tier.

Do boxing.
But don't do actual boxing fights.

Muay Thai bro here.

Deadlifts made me a beast in the clinch.

>wrestling designed for television is the best
>judo is bad because it's groundwork simulates what you'd get away with in a fight
Okay pal

Thinking of starting Goju-Ryu Karate desu maybe even aikido desu

>Too stupid to understand that the wrestling on TV is not the type of wrestling we're talking about.

Good job bro.

>he doesn't know the history of freestyle rules
There's tons of stuff in there solely so it looks good on TV when the Olympics come on. Freestyle is an abomination cooked up by a committee and their misunderstanding of what people want in sports is a historic moment in the study of sports as performance. People boo constantly at the national team trials because it's such nonsense compared to folk style.

Started training BJJ with Gracie Barra two weeks ago.
The people I train with are all chill and humble.
A friend I went to high school with is a purple belt that just started teaching at a different location and offered for me to go to his house and roll.

It feels good and is something I look forward to adter work.

Lmao at roiding brazilians.

Is this better?

>72 replies
>41 posters

Chicago?

I recently started MMA for self defence after me and my friend was jumped by 3 sandpeople, my friend got stabbed 12 times in the chest but survived.
I was told MMA gives a broad and allround training for street fights since they usually end up on the ground, am i being memed?
At least it has given me better confidence.

>my friend got stabbed 12 times in the chest but survived
that is fucking impressive, some people die from one stab if it has landed in the wrong place

Naruto pls go

>Autism speaks, it's time to listen

Muscle strength is probably more relevant to judo.

You want to spar first without even learning to fight, which is a good way to injure yourself and your training partner.

Learn the theory first, then put it into practice. No respectable gym is going to let 2 people with no experience flail wildly at each other like a pair of drunk spastics.

The real answer is any martial art that has regular sparring against fully resisting opponents.

Moy yat wing chun. Its relaxing above anything else, nice for mobility, plus I get to furiously masturbate to Ip Man

I do some wrestling. Mostly Graeco-Roman and catch.

Nothing defends against 3 dudes with knives m8

muay thai

What groundwork

If you want to do BJJ without getting dryfucked weekly by the gayest guys this side of a dicksucking competition, just do judo and focus a little more on the groundwork.

Or find a gym that doesn't suck.

only folkstyle wrestling has groundwork though. judo has groundwork, bjj is essentially judo groundwork refined to the nth degree, free style wrestling doesn't have any ground work.

look nothing personal guys but all you aikido or whatever fanboys are idiots. your martial arts are excellent for agility / mobility / conditioning / cardio / whatever training, but in a street fight its all worthless.

the only worthwhile skill for real life self defence is violence. and it can only be trained through exposure to violence.

you could train 20 years in awesome-fu and still be useless when your fight or flight adrenaline dump hits and your motor control goes out the fucking window.

the only true self-defence style is savagery. an untrained maniac who disregards pain and eye gouges like a cunt will rape any dojo warrior in the street.

this is the way of things. all else is posturing.

what's with the weird homophobe stuff, breh. did a bjj guy fuck your mom in front of you or something?

Probably submitted him and fucked his mom. I signed up for bjj, went to one class before some shit happened and I didn't go back due to income.

Texas.

Jiu-jitsu means 'Gentle Art.'
the point of it is to able to maintain a level head and use techniques to defeat your opponent.
Adrenaline make kick in but, with proper training, you can keep focus. Keep calm. Execute what you know will work.

I've wrestled for ten years, and really recently started getting into bjj and kickboxing. Wrestling gives you the kind of strength that weights can't, but I look like shit, and don't lift much

I could take you down and fist you if I wanted To. Aikido is McDonough shit, and only works if you're opponent doesn't know how to fight

Just start wrestling. It's much better, and actually works on trained guys.

spoken by someone with no real life experience in the matter.

i remember my first fight after i'd been training a few years i thought "i'll throat strike him and he'll go down quick i'm a fucking ninja" and i missed then it all went to shit. 15 seconds later i was smashing his head into the pavement screaming like a maniac while his 4 mates were kicking the shit out of me.

life is not choreographed.

>life is not choreographed.
unless you are CHAD, then everything goes your way

You sound like 12 year old autist.

Not everybody is a fucking sperglord bro.