Everything about the 80s was tacky as shit, why do kiddos born in the late 90s have nostalgia for this shit...

Everything about the 80s was tacky as shit, why do kiddos born in the late 90s have nostalgia for this shit? This whole decade felt like being thrown up on by a man who abuses cocaine.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2RUD_cL0
youtube.com/watch?v=ulPgWVC08KI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because corporate America sells it to them

You obviously haven't heard youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2RUD_cL0

I like the "manufactured" man made look, so much around me is the result of mass production and computers and the digital revolution, the cyberpunk dystopia came true and yes while we are quite unfree and there are forces trying to control our minds, art is a reflection of the times in which it is made and thisis the world I was born in

Btw the girl in your pic is fine af

this so many times
there is a 60's style, a 70's tyle
80's style is a business model relying excessively on fluo.

But I think there is some similarities in terms of near-nihilistic consumerism, glorifying fun and instant gratification.
the 90's had a darker undertone, even in pop culture.
2000's was all about Internet and no one had a fucking clue what they were doing, including style-wise

Christ, is that Madonna?

everything 70's-2000's is disgustingly gross, like those cheap party stores and 2010's feels extremely sterile.
Not sure why the change in 2008-2011 was so drastic but it never settled well with me.

Everything produced by the sexual revolution generation is disgustingly ugly, glad the whole thing is dead

If you think you can 'sum up' an entire decade in a single sentence then you simply don't know enough.

No, it's Blondie.

Maybe it's because we're still living it, but I feel the same about post 2010. Everything feels just sort of stale and just kind of "there," doesn't really have much of a style or anything. It's like it took some pieces of the old, copied a few of the most superficial bits of it, mass produced it, and then refined it for the masses as much as possible.

Gadgets feel mostly cheap and utilitarian, made of plastic, and even the "luxury" stuff only pretends to be something more than a little more expensive materials off an assembly line. The art and media of today is made to appeal to as many people as possible and cuts out every last bit of soul or meaning it could have to be as bland and inoffensive to not turn away potential profits. Any sort of local culture is marginalized or reduced to the most surface level aspects so it can be packaged up as a product and sold, and what cannot be made for mass market appeal gets derided and rallied against for being built on exclusion.

Like I said, this perception could simply be because unlike the previous eras, we can't yet look back and compare it to something else, but it sort of feels like we're stuck in this monotony and we can't see anything else on the horizon as to where we could go.

People born in the 80's are getting super nostalgic, so they're producing nostalgia media. This attracts new people to it.

Things come in waves. People got sick of 80's excess and tried to go back to a more authentic music. Cue the rise of grunge and the domination of rock in the 90's. Now we've gone full circle where rock is boring, and hip-hop and pop are on top. Thus, 80's synth and pop are actually closer to today's music.

>ywn visit an 80s mall full of lame tacky shit

I wish I could've gone to NWOBHM shows back in them days.

Itt: cargo short wearing losers talking about style and design.

This.

Tacky but sincere. Today everything is done "ironically", everything is a homage and so on. 2010s lack identity.

This is the ideal aesthetic, you may not like it but this is what peak aesthetics look like

Been there, done that. Discovered Traci Lords while going through the posters at Spencer's in about 1988? Christina Applegate too, but Traci... Hnnng!

It's important to note that two of the most influential genres of electronic dance music, house and techno, were created in the 1980's too, so that adds on to what you're saying.

Let's talk hairstyles of the 1980's. The most aesthetic looking black hair style since the afro, the high top fade not only lasted past the 80's and well into the 90's, but even though it started to fade away by the mid to late 90's, it's made a strong comeback in the 2010's, more so than any other black 80's haircut, like the jheri curl and that weird flattop mullet hybrid you would see every now and then.

This.

Yeah, a lot of music today doesn't sound too far off from 80's. Electronic music as you mentioned. There's also modern pop which is pretty close to 80's pop. As I said, everything goes in cycles. Expect people to get sick of electronic slick pop in 10 years and go for authentic rock again.

Grunge was a reaction to the guns'n'roses type of rock as much as it was to tacky pop.

There was a lot of variety going on the 80s, early 80s (new wave, punk, heavy) has little to do with late 80s f.i.

90s was more in line with that era of late 70s-early 80s.

Well, Guns n Roses hard rock was itself a reaction to hair metal and pop itself. They're both attempts to make more authentic, gritty, rock music.

When will we get back to classical music again?
The only modern music I can stand is minimalist, instrumental jazz and Japanese ost
I tried so hard to like dance/pop music so I can be more sociable and ends up hating it more

Fashion-wise it looks like shit only surpassed by the turn of the millennium look that lasted from like 1997-2001. Unlike that cultural wasteland though there was some really fucking good music in the '80s.

One thing that gets to me is car design. Cars used to all have unique looks and shapes to them. You look at a certain model of car, you know it's that car. That's died out after 2010 with everything being the same "sleek", shapeless blob such that it starts to become difficult to tell one model of car from another.

>tfw no good bathroom to do coke in
>tfw no girl to throw up on and traumatize

I'm early 90s but my parents were students in the 80s so most of their taste in music is from then
so I kind of grew up with that music

I was born in 1987 and was thus deeply ensconced in the 90s aesthetic. The 80s look was always cringey to me growing up, and aversion to it stayed with me into adulthood. The music was good.

The music was good though*

The 90's were by far the tackiest decade of the 20th century

It was sincere and wasn't nihilistically ironic all the time though.

I mean, I can't watch Breakfast Club without feeling like the world we live in now is a shithole compared to back then.

But i like jpop from 80s

>Japanese OST

>Japanese ost
pretty sure this is in your taste
youtube.com/watch?v=ulPgWVC08KI

>When will we get back to classical music again?
>The only modern music I can stand is minimalist, instrumental jazz and Japanese ost
I know you're just posing, but you should still try for more coherence. Minimalist stuff and jazz aren't any closer to classical music (I'm assuming you mean common practice by that) than most other contemporary genres, while your animays use music from the whole japanese musical scene, which means pretty much every fucking genre.

Because it's so over the top campy.

It's the modern equivalent to ancient hellenic battle gear.