Hey Veeky Forums what's your take on standing desks?

Hey Veeky Forums what's your take on standing desks?

Bullshit or is there merit to standing all of the time as opposed to sitting?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncsu.edu/ehs/www99/right/handsMan/office/RULA_REBA_Presentation.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Meme desk
Just get up from your chair after a couple of minutes. Go and drink a glass of water or something.
Standing up is just as bad

Standing up in the same position isn't any better

fucking stupid

there's a 100% chance you don't want to stand all day.

You gotta understand, it's not like standing is fucking great, or anything. The real positive about standing is that it's not sitting.

If you spend all day at a desk, you can probably get the same effect from just getting up, and walking around for 5-10 minutes every hour.

Standing in one place for 8 hours a day is just as bad as sitting in one place for 8 hours a day. Find an excuse to get up and walk around every 30 minutes or so.

So if just being in the same position for a very long time is the real killer, regardless if you're sitting ot standing, then what's your take on....

TREADMILL DESKS

Not so much bad for your health as it is bad for your career. Your boss will find out that you are hurting productivity at the office, as all of your coworkers will be too busy laughing at you to get any real work done. If you are the boss, your employees will never take you seriously. Imagine trying to fire somebody while walking behind that thing.

Ergonomist and work place design guy here (did it for a couple years for my old job)

Standing desks are good... If you also have the option to sit

Sitting desks are good... If you also have the option to stand

If you have different additions that help you shift your weight (kneeling bar at calf height for example), even better. The general idea is that essentially all variations of a work desk result in blood flow shifting/starving one point of the body at a minimal level. So as any physical therapist will tell you, the best working position is the "next" one when you feel like moving. Anyone who tells you X is the best is just revealing what they do the majority of the time and projecting that as the answer.

Yeah, it's kind of a non-answer, but that's the way it is. Exclusively standing or sitting is going to result in joint pain over some amount of time, and variability is essentially the only way to mitigate it. Don't bother buying a $600 vibrating executive chair with wifi, just a decent one with padding and a stand to put on your desk to place your keyboard and mouse appropriately.

Look here: ncsu.edu/ehs/www99/right/handsMan/office/RULA_REBA_Presentation.pdf

Look at slides 8 and 9 and do an analysis (it's easy as shit to do) on how you fit in your desk if you want to minimize issues for your work desk pains.

>the current year
>not being fit, successful stability ball master race

I'mThe CEO of my old work had one; you're completely right, literally everyone gave him shit for it, down to the janitor. But goddamn he had an ass and calves like a race horse (no homo) from doing incline for multiple hours a day.

>t. 52 year old female receptionist

either way excessive sitting or standing is not good for you. just do each in moderation and take a break every now and then. get up and walk around/stretch if you have to sit for a long time

employees told to hold a quarter squat for 7 hour day.

LOL

My desk at work functions at both, it's pretty nice as sometimes you want to stand up, especially on hotter days so you're not just heating up a chair all day.

Just buy a chair that has that rest ring for your feet if you want to raise it high enough to sit at a standing desk and then it's all upside.

wait is this actually a thing?

Enjoy your hurting feet and knees.

I fucking hate standing. After about 5min my feet and ankles hurt, then the knees and back.

But then who was chair?

Good for posture desu senpai

I've actually moved to standing almost 100% except for meetings and have the opposite experience. Sitting is misery; I feel like a fatass lump of backpain.

However, in practice there isn't much benefit to standing except for pacing around on conference calls. But that shit is awesome. Hours a day of not being a lazy fucking potato.

Thanks for the info

Every fat person should have to use one at least 10 hours out of the week.

how about just higher desks with high chairs?