Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle mass at the same time?

Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle mass at the same time?
6'3 250 here.
Not to fat but definite chubster.
I'm going to start lifting at the gym tomorrow and I need to know if its possible to lose fat while gaining muscle or if I should do one of them first

Other urls found in this thread:

bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Possible? Yes. Optimal? No

Recomp takes a long time, way longer when starting at/near obesity-level bf%.

I would think if you're just starting out that you would notice progress better if you did really big and fast cut and then when you got to ~15% just eat maintenance and lift.

Some people need to see the progress on their body to stay motivated.

Heard someone say in another thread that recomp was an advanced technique. Did they just mean in terms of requiring more discipline and being stricter about calories or did they mean it was a technique for advanced lifters? Like would you be better off finishing your novice program and getting all of your noob gains before starting recomp?

>not fat
>kek

But still, your biggest problem is your decision to shave your chest. All the guys you pick up are going to see those red spots and laugh. They might not even fuck your ass after.

Yes it is possible. You probably won't see massive strength gains, but for people who are recovering fatties honestly it's not a bad idea if you're worried about overdoing a bulk. Essentially building muscle while losing what is dependent on maintaining a calorie deficit and a positive nitrogen balance. Nitrogen balance is complicated to figure out but as long as you eat around 0.7 g of protein per lb of bodyweight you likely are doing fine

What bf% do you think I am? The little claw pincher thing tells me 25%

Then you're probably 25% if you used it right. It's a hell of a lot more accurate then us pulling an estimate out of our assess based on a picture

>long as you eat around 0.7 g of protein per lb of bodyweight
A day, right?

I'm at 250lbs, I've been been both losing weight and making strength (and hypertrophic) gains these past six months. And that's at a 1000+ daily caloric deficit.

It's definitely possible. There are obvious diminishing returns after a while though.

I said no too fat.

Yes a day. Don't worry about any of that bull crap about protein timing like eating 6 meals a day, just make sure you eat 0.7 g per lb of bodyweight a day, get enough sleep, and eat enough fats and carbs. Not too much saturated fats, and with carbs try to take it in from a ratio of 2:1 fibrous carb sources to starchy carbs. That's all you need for body recomp basically.

What is body "recomp"?

Recomp is short for recomposition. Bulking is adding muscle and fat. Cutting is reducing fat and losing some gains along the way. Recomp is slowly losing fat while maintaining or gaining muscle mass

And should the nutrient facts on food indicate the type of carbs or is that something I have to research?

you can still gain muscle if you're eating enough protein while cutting as a noob

Well he's not "fat" but he is packing some flab. I even see very slight muscle definition

1 lb of protein per pound of bodyweight to maintain and gain muscle? Really? I'm averaging 120-150 grams a day and I stuff myself full of high protein food. It's nowhere near 280lbs (What I weigh).

That doesn't sound right.

Who's said 1 pound of protein per pound of weight?
This guy said 0.7 grams

while discipline and strict self-regulation is definitely involved, if it were that simple... i'd have the perfect body right now.

when you cut, you damage your metabolism. but now you want to bulk again, so you need to know exactly how many calories and how many of each macro to consume + the added awesomeness of having a sluggish metabolism due to essentially depriving yourself for months. and you need to adjust your calories as your weight changes. and know WHEN to eat carbs, fat, protein, etc. to reap their individual benefits as efficiently as possible.

although i'm still kinda noobish, only done one initial bulk, one cut and back on my next bulk atm... so my personal experience is limited.

might wanna start with a bulk to rev up metabolism for the cut

lol, said "etc." but there is no etc. unless you count alcohol. which is also perfectly OK at the right times and right amounts and right types.

also sugar i guess. and specific types of protein.

>Who's said 1 pound of protein per pound of weight?

the entire goddamn internet except for an elusive study that concluded 0.8g per 1 lb/BW is enough

if i had a sauce i'd offer it but i am too drunk atm

If that were true I'd have to eat 250 lbs of protein a day.
I'd die

>cutting is reducing fat and losing some gains along the way

Actually most people do make strength gains on a cut, and thus some muscle gain is possible.

Is it a fraction of what youd gain from a bulk? Yes.

Is it possible to lose gains if you do a crash diet, or lower your training intensity/volume. You should be doing high volume for a cut anyway to burn calories and spare muscle.

The whole 'cut and lose gains' is a myth because bodybuilders who cut all water and fat before a show obviously lose some muscle/strength. They are taking bodyfat and hydration to extremely low levels.

First off, do not suck up your gut like that. Start by admitting you have a bellly.

Second, make sure you do plenty of cardio at first. Lift at the same time, and even phase out cardio as you go, but for the first six months to one year, make cardio the focus of your workout. Sweat.

You're drunk breh. Grams are not lbs

5lbs of whey protein is like $80

Heres a good article on protein intake

bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/