How much weight should you go for when lifting as a beginner?

how much weight should you go for when lifting as a beginner?

as much as you can

bodyweight is a good weight to start with

This, maybe a little more.

315 lbs if dyel

DL: 135

Squat:95

Bench:80

OHP: 50

Day 1 for me if I remember right was:
95lb squat
95lb bench
55lb ohp
And I think 120lb diddly

4 months later:
225lb squat
155lb bench
105 ohp
315dl

This should have been /thread

i know e-stats are a thing, but who else here started off waaaay below these numbers? i'm better now, but i thought it was a big deal when i finally made it to 60lbs OHP

yeah i'm seeing too much estats on here. i started by benching just the barbell, squatting and DLing 0.5 plate. started from skinnyfat and no bodily activity in 5 years.

>Can barely bench 60 after trying with all my might

Honestly my OHP went from 55 to 90 in no time, but to get from 90 to 105 has taken forever.
Are mine, definitely not estating, I don't even think they're that inpressive. I'm 6'3 215 if that matters, up from 185 when I started.

Get microplates and make small increments: 0,5 -1 kg. It really makes progress your bench.

If you are new to let you lifting and have absolutely no clue :
>OHP: only the bar, increase if you notice that you can do it more
>Bench : same as ohp
>deadlift: around 100 lbs
>squats : same as deadlifts

It's far more important to learn the proper movement in the beginning. And if the weight is too high, people will do mistakes.

>DL: 135

>Squat:95

>Bench:80

>OHP: 50
Holy shit this is almost exactly what I started with two weeks ago when I first went to the gym

Whatever you can safely lift using good form and full range of motion. Or just egolift more than your bodyweight right from the start and bask in the ecstacy and the agony of having felt alpha for a moment before entering snap city.

I've just been doing 5 lbs a week

[spoiler]could only do the bar when I started a month ago[/spoiler]

you should be easily squatting 2 plates. it seems like a lot, but if you use flat shoes instead of cushiony running shoes, you'll be surprised how much you can lift. if you don't have any flat shoes, flip flops will work as they never had support/cushion

Bodyweight deadlift... wat?

i understand that there are ppl who are much stronger than me, but some of the progress/starting weights i see just scream bullshit.

This is wrong.

Squats require strong ankles, strong groin, strong hammies, strong hip flexors.... And they all need to be nimble.

You can't even compare a leg press to a squat.

Every flip fop shoes I've seen are made of foam rubber.

Better to squat in socks than flips.

>sheeesh.

Beginners - beginner like never touched a wheight in their entire life - will benefit more from "higher" reps of a medium wheight they can do for 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions to adapt the nervous system and do this for about 6-8 weeks. You'll notice you'll get stronger faster but it's just your nervoussytem adapting.

Obviously we can't give you a set wheight to start with since every beginner is different, of course. After these 6-8 weeks try a SS/SL program (not for more than 6-9 months though, pick a serious program after that)

Ignore this retard and just buy + do SS. You'll be 1/2/3/4 within a year.

Yeah because the only difference between our advice is that he should practice for a whole 6-8 weeks if he's a complete beginner. Retard.

Not sure if you lift.

confirmed for dyel

i never mentioned anything about nimbleness or leg pressing

My numbers were from a base level of daily (or maybe a few days a week) pushups, chinups, and body squats. Doing those will definitely give you a leg up with your initial number.

Up to 3pl8 even if youre a fatty. Bodyweight squats should be achieved the very first day.

Just follow the SS method for finding your starting weights. He very clearly outlines what to do to find your starting point.

lift a corpse

isnt so hard

More