Tfw down 100 lbs since the beginning of the year

>Tfw down 100 lbs since the beginning of the year
>Still overweight, but no longer obese
>6'2 218 lbs
>Decided to do some simple bodyweight exercises before I start going to the gym
>Attempts pull up, fails
>Attempts dip, fails
>Attempts pushup, can do 5, aka fails

We're not all going to make it are we? Is it normally this hard to do something so simple? I feel like such a failure and I'm considering if it's even worth going to the gym if I can't do any of the exercises.

Other urls found in this thread:

scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well we all gotta start somewhere, tomorrow try doing 6 push ups, with time you can make it.

Y'know, this really made me feel better. Thanks user. I just have to try harder from now on.

The average modern person who weighs less has trouble doing those.

Don't beat yourself up

Big deal man, when I started I couldn't walk a block without getting tired, couldn't jog without shin splints, couldn't do a pull-up, dip, or squat.

I'm not perfect yet, but I did hit a 340 squat the other day.

dude i couldnt do a pull up at 200 lbs, you'll get there

Now I just feel like a big baby. Thanks.

When starting pull ups you do negatives, just lowering yourself down, not doing the pull up part.

For push ups start by doing them on the stairs, with your feet at the bottom of the staircase and your hands planted on one of the steps.

Nah man that squat took a few years. Just start and keep going.

I was able to hang with my head above the bar for 5 seconds if I began from an upper position but when I slowly lowered myself I couldn't pull myself back up.
As for the dips I could do it but only when I left my body perfectly straight but my feet hit the floor. When I curled my legs up I couldn't pull myself back up after lowering myself.
For pushups my arms got tired and ache at five

You're not expected to be able to pull yourself back up to start. You use a foot stool and step up on it and lower yourself slowly. Keep repeating that until you gain some strength.

You might be getting advice from too many condescending pros.

Try watching some of Scooby1961's stuff. He's very realistic about beginner expectations.

scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/

Yeah all my advice comes from my friend who lifts though he basically said the same thing as everyone else
>You won't be able to do it yet,just keep working on it
And I've watched some of scooby's things. I like him

You probably lost some muscle along the way too. I noticed that if I don't do push ups the amount I can do doesn't change much even if I lose weight. Which is completely the opposite from running gains, the distance you can run greatly increases with every lost pound, try running for motivation you might be surprised.

Also maybe you're diet is shit, 100 pounds in 5 months is a lot. My max was 70lbs in 6 months.

Recovering fatty here. I still can't do bodyweight dips or pullups for shit. Yet I've pogressed in the gym regardless.

When you're a lardass, they're hard.

Yeah my diet was shit for a while,fixed it up, eating 1600-1800 calories a day now, low carbs, medium fat, high brotien.
45 minutes of cardio a day every day but Sunday.

Dips and pullups are hard exercises and even people with normal body composition thoroughly struggle with them. Don't let some internet tough guy fool you with "if you can't do 10 pull ups you're not a man" they probably can't even do 1 proper one. Work up to them with negatives and other progression methods. Also it will be much more rewarding because you're larger - it's always impressive when a bigger guy can do this and it's not easy

Maybe, I'd rather be a baby than a behemoth.
Y-you know, a behemoth of fat, not a muscular behemoth.

Yeah that sounds like a good diet. As everyone I said so far just keep doing and your reps will increase.

howd you lose the weight, just a deficit or did you do keto or something

I couldn't do a pull up until I was 6" 170
I got down to 150 down from 300 but realized I was looking anorexic, but I wanted to sort of "reset my skin". I had a lot of loose skin everywhere so the logic was to look like an anorexic klansman while naked for 6-7 months then I bulked up to 170. I've been attempting lean gains up to 180 but I think I've gotten a little bit fat.
>those good feels when 501s don't fit your legs anymore.

The only people who fail are the ones who quit. Are you going to quit?

I started at just a deficit, cutting out all junk food. But doing that really messed me up because my while diet consisted of only junk food and one small meal of good food.
So basically I ate a very small amount (300-700 calories/ day).
Fixed that after a month of eating like that unto a keto diet. It didn't seem to do a whole lot but that might be because I tanked my metabolism. Right now I just eat at a deficit with mot very strict macros.

Meals most days:

Breakfast at 12pm-1pm (IF)
Half of an avocado
2 eggs (optional)
1/2 a cup if oats (40g) with 2 scoops of vanilla whey mixed in
Black coffee

Breakfast is basically my lunch as well.

Lunch:
Can of salmon or tuna

Dinner:
100-200G chicken breast
1/2 cup brown rice, or a couple sweet potatoes, or beans (lentils)
100 grams of steamed broccoli or spinach.

Snacks: (Aka rest of calories)
2 scoops of whey mixed into about 2 cups of water.

I really enjoy cooking but am poor so I have to make due with the most I can do

Damn no. Just got a little depressed today

I could only bench 20kg (the bar) when I first started, up to 70kg now.
Just takes time and dedication lad.

The bar is 40 lbs. Damn.
I'm probably going to only be able to bench the bar as well when I finally go to the gym. But we'll see.

oh wow 300-700 a day, thanks for the reply. I've been doing keto for like two weeks with great results but its pretty miserable.

user you need to learn that we all don't have the will of an olympic athlete. We can't all just walk into the gym and be greek gods. But, with training you can train yourself to have the dedication of an olympic athlete.

Don't fret about not being super strong right now. Strength takes time to build, it won't just fall into your lap. It takes constant practice and continual training to become better at something, your body is no different. So keep doing what you're doing, 100 pounds is a lot, I know. But you can't become frustrated when you've worked so hard already.

Get it into your mind that this shit takes time. You're not going to get instant results. If it worked like that, New years resolutionists wouldn't quit after 1 month in the gym. They quit because they want instant gratification. When they don't see it, they get discouraged and drop it.

We're all gonna make it, ya sick cunt

To be honest, cleaning my diet was really easy. I barely put any effort into it. I feel like I cheated. Ive lost 100 lbs with minimal effort. No cravings or anything. I guess I just got depressed when I realized building muscle will require actual effort. I have no intentions in quitting. I'm just scared I might injure myself because I'm so weak. I guess that's what depressed me and made me think I won't make it.

Pullups get easier the less you weigh. Don't even try them until you are at your lowest healthy BMI honestly. They're great when you can do them though.

Try doing negatives with pullups and work up to actually pull ups later.

Baby steps, breh. Take it one day at a time.

First off, find a beginners routine in the sticky. If you already have, good. Then focus on getting your form as close to perfect with every exercise that you do while using really low weights. Once you get that down, then you can focus on getting strong. A lot of beginners make mistakes by trying to add too much weight too quickly instead of focusing on their basic form, which leads to injury more often than anything else.

And as long as you're still fat, avoid high impact cardio such as running. Try swimming or any other cardio machine like rowing instead.\

Who gives a shit if you're weak right now. Embrace your weakness and vow to improve it

Bmi is 28. So I'm still pretty fat. Though when I decided to lose weight my goal was once I reach 230 lbs I'll start going to the gym. I currently weigh 218 lbs so I'm 12 lbs lighter than my short term goal,I figured I'd be light enough for this stuff but I underestimated it. Once I get access to a gym next week I plan on following Mark rippitoes starting strength routine with minor changes such as negative pull ups because I'm too weak and too fat as of right now for proper pull ups.
I currently do 45 minutes of jogging a day 6 days a week but it really fucks with my legs.