Is there a story older than the Epic of Gilgamesh?

Is there a story older than the Epic of Gilgamesh?

Other urls found in this thread:

smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/
gobeklitepe.info/
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1525/aa.1935.37.1.02a00300/pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No

yes, its just not written

Really? It's just hard to believe that that's really it you know, the cut off point as I look at it.

Not a written one dumbass

Oh really? Does it have a name?

Probably

There were probably countless stories that were told orally since man harnessed fire, but since there was no written language to preserve them, they are lost to time.

I figured, but my interest is written stories like Gilgamesh that were meant to be passed down.

no, there are quite a few native american ones on the youtubes

Rig Veda?

GARUGAMESH?!

Fate/Zero

Gilgamesh epic is a compilation of sumerian texts into a long one from Babylon. Any text from the sumerian era (Gilgamesh related or not) is older. There's a sumerian text about the creation of the cereals by the gods to man that predates the babylonian texts. Also sumerian creation myths, Ziusudra (sumerian deluge), etc

Now if you talk about a full long writen story, yes I think Gilgamesh is the oldest

The Silmarillion.

Lets talk about Enmebaragesi

There's a meme I haven't seen in years.

I had to read the beginning of that book like 7 times. The names and stories were so confusing. Maehdros and that one dude who had incest children with his sister without knowing are the only people I remember from that book.

I heard it's boring as fuck, even my die-hard LOTR friend said it's not really worthwhile unless you are extremely immersed in the world.

Thanks user.

>I figured, but my interest is written stories like Gilgamesh that were meant to be passed down.

Writing isn't the only tool for something 'meant to be passed down'. Oral stories can have techniques like poetic form like any song, or being spoken simultaneously like the Pledge of Allegiance, to aid in memorization that often can last for quite a while. Possibly ages.

No, before Gilgamesh nobody ever told each other stories. The epic of Gilgamesh being written was truly a revolutionary event and defining moment for the human race, on par with that of the neolithic and industrial revolutions

>that often can last for quite a while. Possibly ages.
Ehh. Oral traditions change quite rapidly, which is why when reconstructing myths you have to study many related stories and use the comparative method. It is true though that certain elements have a tendency to survive for longer than others, but not necessarily the details surrounding those elements.

Beauty and the beast is a tale as old as time

It seems really developed, but think
Why would there be a complete progression through writing
Surely the ancients had enough sense to only record a story once it's been thoroughly developed and deemed worthy

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOB HOLY FUCK

YES

I wonder what the chinks were doing as this was happening

smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/

gobeklitepe.info/

A clubfooted god with an otherworldly beautiful goddess is indeed an extremely old story.

Cave paintings are older. Deal with it.

Probably younger than Gilgamesh and not really a story in that sense (though it contains some narrative parts).

EXACTLY

So? The oldest Amerindian myths are a few centuries old, how are they relevant to OP's question?

Isnt there that one about some jew trader that was sorta a diary.

>Now if you talk about a full long writen story, yes I think Gilgamesh is the oldest
Legend of Keret might be the same age or older

I miss that show
This and the marvelous misadventures of flap jack were my favs as a kid

>Jews
>predating Sumeria

Go back to wherever you came from, moron.

Noahs ark is pretty old

Noah's Ark is directly plagiarized from the Epic of Gilgamesh you retarded faggot.

all I said was Noah's Ark is pretty old. Why are you being an retard?

Yes, the Story of Sinuhe is probably older than the Epic itself, although the first poems about Gilgamesh that would later be incorporated into the Epic were older still.

Proto Indo European religion

Didn't the guy who rediscovered the epic, upon releasing it may well be the original source of the biblical flood myth, start taking his clothes off and run outside in excitement?

Are you a moron or just a liar? You literally said it was older than Gilgamesh, follow the chain of replies you jumped into you fucking sack of shit.

Why did Sinuhe run away?

An oldie but a goodie

You and your friend are brainlets

I always assumed he had some reason to think there would be a succession crisis and he would get killed. Maybe he was known to support one of the brothers of the new king and expected him to revolt.

Oral stories featuring megafauna like mammoths, cave bears or animals from Australia.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1525/aa.1935.37.1.02a00300/pdf

As far as I remember it's the other way around. Sinuhe supported Sesostris (the new king), heard messengers inform Sesostris's brother about the old king's death when they weren't supposed to, and assumed the brother was planning on revolting, in which case they would kill Sinuhe.

Archeologists believe that a certain set of 4 paired straight-line hieroglyphs represents the oldest known continuously-told story in mankinds history

>hieroglyphs
more like hierog-liths amirite

Thanks for the input. I figured it had something to do with him getting killed for his previous position, but couldn’t figure out the logistics of it.

where's the joke, buckley

>born 5000 years too late to understand Loss

No written one is known of.

If you're talking about the earliest stories/poems that eventually would become part of the epic, you're right.
If you're talking about the complete epic, it's about contemporaneous with some other attested stories.

You're the one putting context where there is none. Stop being so retarded.

Written: no.
Possibly some myths passed down in oral tradition are older.
Metaphorically the first two chapters (Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel) of the Book of Genesis are older stories since they are about the shift to agriculture and the subsequent conflict between farmers and pastoral peoples.

creation myths