Why do blacks (aka African Americans) have French names or French components to their names...

Why do blacks (aka African Americans) have French names or French components to their names? Especially the ones with "de" and "la" prefixes.
>please don't turn this into a /pol/ thread. I am genuinely curious because it is my understanding that the French never had as much influence in the Americas as Spain or Britain did

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4K1q9Ntcr5g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because black people are dumb

>The French never had as much influence in the Americas as Spain or Britain did

Jesus Christ, the state of this board right now. I legitimately think this might be the dumbest shit I've ever read

France colonized Haiti, New Orleans and much of Africa.

They have colonies in North America. Also plenty of colonies in Caribbean.
Also these blacks may be black now but they probably come from bastard french offspring and get father name.
So they were either bleached or get their names after French named places or French names when they were freed.

Part french influence in the south, part teen mom naming convention

To add to what all the other anons are saying, much of post-slave trade Africa was within the 'francophone sphere,' and so there would often be a good chance that newly-US-bound immigrants or refugees from Africa would have been born speaking French as either their first or second language, at least until colonialism ended. Even today some countries still use it as their primary language, in large part to connect disparate ethnic groups with a common tongue.

youtube.com/watch?v=4K1q9Ntcr5g

Because of Haiti. The Haitian slaves were so violent that they targeted anyone who had any known white heritage, including mulatto, quardoons, and octoroons. The whites and mixed race blacks fled Haiti, and after they were kicked out of Cuba, they went to Louisiana, but not all of them did. These free mulatto francophone blacks were free before most American blacks. So they had a head start when it came to property and learning. Plus allegedly some black freed black men took their wives last name.

this

What is Canada?

French are BLACK

>it is my understanding that the French never had as much influence in the Americas as Spain or Britain did

They just had like half of North America, user. The French didn’t just vanish once they lost the territory. As for Blacks, in the south many might have actual French ancestry, as mixed people were a big part of colonial society. Basically being a middle class. There was less stigma for them, and it wasn’t uncommon for arriving Frenchmen to take a mixed wife to integrate better. Slaves could also have gotten French names from their masters, or have taken the names of their plantations after being freed. Also later Southern elites liked to LARP as aristocrats, and French names sound fancy.

If you meant first names, then that’s again pretty much the same reason: they sound fancy.

>tfw no qt Créole waifu

I dunno dude, it's a mystery

I really hope you aren't implying that names like Demarcus and Ladasha have french origins, because they fucking don't.

A Dominion of the British Empire.

>tfw ywn find a board as magical as the first six months of Veeky Forums.

I honestly believe that we're having about the same amount of good threads now as we had then. We just have more shit threads now, but that's a given when your userbase widens.

But the slaves came over to America long before this happened. Still doesn't explain LeKwanza Dekizzay's name

The french had american holding you literal philistine

How many slaves were there in Quebec or Louisiana? Not a critical mass for the current Black Naming disaster, am I right?

de is either patronymic(ex : Depierre) geographic (ex: de Luzac)
le/la derivate from an outstanding trait (ex: Lefort, in english The Strong)

Do you think that all the french people in lliuisan where women?
Why do you think there's so many french people in the south?
The southerners married into the french settlers, not to mention the already large slave population in louisana

Why can't Haiti ever get a break, Veeky Forums?

My Haitian housekeeper called it the Curse of the Dead Whites. She seemed semi-serious about it too.

There must be some (rare) cases with French origins, but other than that it's what said. You may have noticed these families are not super smart, they just give to their kids first names they think fancy, and French particles seem fancy to them. Originaly it comes from the Civil Right Movement influence, where blacks started to refuse to keep "slave names" and wanted to recover African names. But when you have no education...

>fifel getting autistic about 18 Brumaire and telling everyone their discourse was not a valid form of praxis

They targeted only the French and French aligned mulattos.

They didn't kill nor hate all white people. Stop spread stupidity.
New Orleans.
It's do to it's spread from anglicized NOLA and anglicized Creole Louisiana populations in their diaspora. They it just became common in the hood because it was seen as fancy or connecting to their creolephone roots.

Most mainstream example of that is RuPaul. His mother named him that and she was a creole woman of color.

What is Quebec?

Oh, okay. That was my misconception. Thanks for answering

Fpbp

>They just had like half of North America, user
In name. The Spanish increased the population of Louisiana by a factor of 10 in 20 years.The French did jackshit in North America

> some freed black men took their wives last name

From one sort of slavery to another, eh?

Oh my God, are none of you people from the US? It came from the Black Power movement encouraging people to try to get more "African-sounding" names. It has nothing to do with actual French, other than maybe French influenced what people think African names sound like through Haitian names.

See

Because the real franks were black before wh*te people got jealous and started whitewashing them

Ever heard of French West Africa?

A environment of chaotic violence will cause rational people to fight or flight, so most quadroons fled even if they themselves weren't targeted.