Weak legs affecting deadlifts

Hi guys, I've been lifting consistently for many years now but have never squatted due to fear (leg press for reps at 240? 250kg?). I have trained in martial arts and sports so I don't have chicken legs, but they're too weak for the rest of my lifts - they shake when I try to deadlift or even do rows.

I need a leg routine to help them catch up with the rest of my body parts ASAP. Any advice is appreciated, too.

You most likely have extremely weak glutes and hamstrings. Do romanian deadlifts and hipthrusts, and normal deadlifts in a way that you specifically focus on them

Sounds about right.

But what do you mean by
>normal deadlifts in a way that you specifically focus on them

>lifting consistently for many years
> never squatted
pick 1

Do SS

Go away memeboy

As mentioned, not a newbie lifter. What I need is a routine to help catch up a lagging body part.

>knees always collapsing on every leg lift
>can't squat for shit
>get knee sleeves
>squats go from 80kg 1rm to 120kg 1rm in a single session of highbar ATG
Holy fuck why did no one tell me there was a quick and easy fix for my shitty knees

How much can you squat and dl, doing them for 3x5 three times a week like in SS is a fast way to increase those lifts if you suck at them

Top kek came in here to say this

>legs too weak
>never squatted
>How to improve leg strength
???

both back squats and front squats

that's it

do them alot

>Be shitty twink with shit form
>Have 1 rm literally less than a girls
>Get a squat suit
>my 1rm is now150 kgs
Wow lads I just solved my problems.

go lie somewhere else

He probably means to just keep a straight back so you're using your legs more instead of your spinal erectors.

Obviously I'm looking to start, I'm just looking for a routine to quickly catch them up. Thanks.

How about 3x5 both squats? Whacha think about that?

people who haven't deadlifted much have problems activating their hamstrings and glutes properly, putting more strain on the lower back. Romanian deadlifts help you understand how to use them, and just pay attention to using them in normal deadlifts

Don't think of it as a routine. You should do a program. What are all of your stats? No leg press and lateral raises don't need to be listed

Thanks guys, that's helpful.

No data for squats, obviously. Deadlifts at 90kg (shaky progress. Get it? Haha) but no current bench press stats (recovering from shoulder injury complications). Smith machine bench @ 2.5 plates.

I suppose the stats indicate really lagging lower body strength and development - I've let this happen for too long. What program do you suggest?

Any beginner LP program. Those are day one numbers senpai. And drop the smith machine.

Why exactly are you scared of squatting?

You use a smith machine to bench? Use that smith machine to squat too you pussy.

swallow your ego and do SS, you're basically a novice.

Learn how to bench while you're at it, deload and find a good form.

You might consider doing some extra upper back work to help your shoulders too, but you're quite the test case for SS

I can't bench without a smith machine because of the shoulder injury, if that wasn't clear enough. My left arm barely supports any weight.

My deadlifts are shit because my legs are weak (they tend to shake and bend), but I can row 120 no problem.

Here's the thing: should I really be doing Starting Strength? I think my upper body is plenty strong. I don't have an ego and will do it if necessary, but please explain how and why it's good for me.

I always try to make the best out of the situation (hence the smith bench). What'd you do if you were in my shoes? If I drop the smith machine, what do I do for chest? The shoulder crosses out dumbbell presses of any sort - all I have to work with are chest machines and the smith.

>can row 120 no problem.

Lemme correct that to no problem with upper body strength. My legs shake after time, core is fine.

Your deadlifts are shit because you have shit coordination. It might be your hips, it might be your hams, it might be your core, it might be your back, you don't have any idea. The fact that you can leg press 240 kg means you would be able to do something like a 2 plate squat if you had any coordination at all.

Have you had a diagnosis on your shoulder, or it is just in pain? If you're doing smith machine, you might very well be reinforcing shit movement patterns and making it worse. If you really started at just the bar, and learned how do to a good bench press that works for your body, you might be able to rehab yourself.

But you know do whatever you want

I don't know why you feel the need to o some preliminary exercise for your legs, just start squatting an empty bar and go up from there.

You know what? You might be right. I guess I was afraid of not being able to lift what I look like I should be able to lift. I was just really confused - that I was fucking strong but unable to lift those for shit.

But I can't bench press - there's too much of a strength difference. Enough that it'll start looking like I'm kayaking with just 1 plate. What do you recommend I do? If I drop the smith, I'm down to just the machines for chest day.

Thanks very much for your advice so far. You make a lot of sense.

Hi bro, I'm just checking in with the others to see if there's another program I could be doing to make my legs catch up more quickly :)

if you can't do 1 plate on bench, start with the bar. Do a big rehab protocol including band work, facepulls, French press, plate halos... Do them in the 20+ rep range, NOT heavy for anything. Also supplement with Dumbells, just make it extremely light.

Try to figure out if you're flaring your bench- that's how a lot of people get hurt. I had to switch to more of a powerlifting bench because my rotator cuffs were taking a beating.

Be patient.

squats are the best thing for your legs

Thanks so much - very, very much appreciated.

I was talking about a program/routine :)

Buddy I DL 220 and bench 140 ungeared, guarantee I'm less of a pathetic DYEL than you are

Some other quick tips about rehab work for your shoulders-

Research mobility and stretching for your shoulders and get serious about it. Also massage your shoulders. You might not really understand what is going on in there.

You should focus a lot on pulling exercises for your upper body- cables are gonna be your friend. Make sure your doing it with good form always, and research scapular retraction to make sure you can feel when it's happening and not happening.

If you have an actual injury, you need to see a doctor.

Are split squats and BB hip thrusts enough to build decent legs?

Also do rack pulls but that's rack pulls.

Squat 3x a week

Front squats on Monday and Friday
Back squats on Wednesday

Add 5lbs a session to from and 10-15 on back per session depending on howbthey feel that week

Speaking from experience bro? Those are some good tips.

It's an old injury (several months old and I heal quickly), I think I just need to work on strengthening the supporting muscles because the bone constantly shifts out of place. No doctor can do anything about this (other than surgery).

Please be kg

Start really light BTW, I'm coming back from a pirifomris injury and I'm back up to 95 3x5 on fs and 115 3x5 on back, I used to 5rm 235

Sounds good, but due to a shoulder injury I can't quite grasp the bar behind my neck. What are the long-term effects if I just do front squats?

Yeah I have an unstable shoulder which I can pop out of socket, from when I was a child. I had to do everything I'm talking about at various stages. It hurt bad enough that I was convinced it was a tear.

The best thing for it was ultimately learning how to bench with a better form, but the other exercises are great to restore some function and get blood flowing.

Seconding this but I'd add that lifts where you don't have to be so concerned about form breaking down let you get in extra volume at the end of your workout. For instance, he might try a set of moderate deadlift, light high rep rdl for several sets, and finish with 10x20 weight reverse hypers or leg curls.
No matter how gassed your lower back is it's pretty hard to fuck up a reverse hyper or leg curl.

I wouldn't normally recommend a front squat harness or safety squat bar, but you may need to invest in a gym that has these for shoulder health. Even front squat can be rough on the shoulders.

Can poor hip and hamstring flexibility negatively affect a deadlift?

I can fucking squat more than I can DL now.

Yes, for sure. Often hamstring stretching (daily for weeks) can improve things.

It is possible to have short arms, long legs, and deep hip sockets. If you have this combo of features, conventional deadlifts may not be possible without a round back but 4" block pulls or sumo style may get around this.

>i have never squatted due to fear

Kek

I have short arms (which luckily means I have a great press), so I may try Sumo.

I'll keep stretching tho (I can only reach just beyond my knees without bending them)

Front squats are hardening shoulders than back, since back squats you can adjust yourbjand width andbeven squat without hands if you're balanced enough, as long asbyou keep your back taught.

Deadlift:425 for reps
Squat:225 1rm
Tis the life of a man with a manlet torso and lanklet appendages:

I'm glad this tread is here, I have a simillar problem with grip strength. My back/legs work fine, but I can't get through all my sets without my grip giving out. Anybody else have this problem? It's been getting better but would be nice to see if anyone else found a good way to improve it faster. Just annoying having my deadlift stall due to grip and not back and legs.

Are you drunk

my leg routine is:
10rep warmup squats on 60kg
then 8 rep on 80kg
then 6 on 100kg
then 4 on 120

Once I have done that I will move over to hip abductors and adductors and go as heavy as the machine lets me for 20 reps or so. this has helped me break the 80kg+ wall.

I do all this 4 days a week after every workout, I also have a leg day every week which includes:

5 sets squats going up by 20kg each time.
5 sets calf raises all the way up to maxing the machine (235kg)
5 sets leg extension going up by 10kg each set
5 sets leg press starting at 320kg up to 520kg (2 plates extra after each 10reps

I assume he meant: Front squats are harder on the shoulders than back (squats), since you can squat without your hands with back squats if you're balanced enough, as long as you keep your back taut

Are you using straps bro? Would be beneficial, provided you're actually pulling heavy weight. If not it'll lag your grip strength as you progress and you'll always have the problem

>Has weak legs
>doesn't squat
There is your problem
>Clains to have strong legs
>leg presses 250kg
This better not be b8