What is the difference between catholicism and protestantism?

what is the difference between catholicism and protestantism?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i_isUfbl1gw
ccel.org/ccel/alexander_a/canon.iii.ii.html
forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/theology/general-christian-topics/doctrine-questions/4703746-2-thessalonians-2-15
michaeljkruger.com/were-early-churches-ruled-by-elders-or-a-single-bishop/
bible.org/seriespage/8-grace-god-part-i-ephesians-15-12-21-10
justforcatholics.org/a84.htm
onefold.wordpress.com/category/sacred-tradition/
monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/visible.html
ccel.org/s/schaff/encyc/encyc09/htm/iv.v.lxxiv.html
ccel.org/ccel/schaff/hcc3.iii.x.xi.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Catholics believe the bishop of Rome is God.

Catholics went to asia(China, Philippines, Japan,etc) to convert
Protestants to trade opium

Basically this

Protestants believe the bishop of Rome is Antichrist

Catholics are too busy praying to the pope and molesting children to follow the teachings of Christ.

less sacraments.
no transubstantiation
church hierarchy differs by denomination, there is no central authority which covers them all.

catholics are kinda christian
protestants arent at all

that's why Korea has a significant Protestant population?

then who are the proper christians

and they are absolutely right

Protestants

Eastern Orthodox Churches located in greater Asia.

>catholics
Good works and faith, you have to earn your place in heaven and it's not guaranteed you will even make it there. If you die before confessing you are probably going to hell or at least purgatory.

>protestants
Salvation is earned by faith not good works, once you are saved it's impossible or at least hard to loose your salvation. No saints, confessions, and overall protestantism is less focused on the relationship with the church like Catholics.

>orthodox
Don't know much aside from they don't belive in original sin

>Don't know much aside from they don't belive in original sin
That is the basis for why Jesus died on the cross. Without original sin it wasn't needed.

Protestantism is basically a cult see those mega churches in the USA

From what I understand they just think of original sin as a metaphor.
No man is born with sin on his heart but he is born sinful in nature.

Protestants exterminated the native Americans

Catholics converted and lived alongside them

t. Alberto Barbosa

All Protestants have Christ as their central figure where as the rest of the Christians heighten the venerative practices towards other figure to similar levels.
It's not like most Prostestants engage in blatant religious veneration of any personalities within in their own tradition.
Deviation in customary aesthetics and practices? Sure but all churches are probably guilty of it in some way.

Protestants are conspiracy theory christians

*teleports behind you*
*razes Tenochtitlan*

This image is wrong

Catholics don't believe you have any right to read the bible and that they alone can sell you a free pass into heaven as long as you pay up oy vey it will cost you a lot but we will make sure your past sins doesn't matter :^)

>this is what Papists actually believe
The Spanish/Mexicans were just as cruel to the natives when an opportunity arose. They just didn't run into them in force too much bevause they viewed the American West/Mexican North as inhospitable. The ones they did fight - the Aztecs, the Incans, the Taino - died horribly, were taken as slaves, and were raped until all that was left were the Mestizos.

Protestants did plenty of preaching to natives, as well.

Catholics believe there's an actual correct interpretation of christianity, and work to understand it by cooperative study.
Protestants believe that whatever they decide the bible means is right and anyone trying to reason with them is satan personified.
There's a reason why protestantism spawns tons more insane cults and has *at least* as many sexual predators as a confession that forces celibacy upon its priests.

>mega churches
Looks like a stadium

Protestantism is the easy way to be christian.

Protestantism isn't a way to be christian at all.

>mutts
>protestant

Mormons

How exactly is that different? Whether you desire to sin or are naturally inclined to do so, it’s still an innate hereditary quality.

Orthodox obviously

Catholics are Lawful Evil
Protestants are Chaotic Evil

Catholics are christian
Protestants are charlatans

catholics are based
protestants are materialistic anti-christians
orthodox are just a failure

Am I blind or am I looking at a "church" with no holy cross and no fucking altar? And yet with 2 (three) fucking megascreens so the "pastor" is the main fucking focus of the show (because sure as fuck that ain't gonna be a mass).
Charismatics ought to be tried for fraud.

Protestantism is Anglo imperialism.

it's all different forms of Judaism for the goyim

>dude fuck catholics, they worship people instead of God
>

even though it was a Kraut invention

That's because he is

>not being labeled the Christianitree

Catholicism believes in transubstantiation (the Eucharist turns into Christ's body)
Protestantism believes in consubstantiation (the Eucharist is metaphorically Christ's body).
Catholicism believes that doctrine is influenced by both scripture and ecumenical councils.
Protestantism believes that doctrine is only influenced by interpreting the scripture (aka Sola Scriptura).
Catholicism believes that having faith and doing good works are both separate things required for salvation.
Protestantism believes that only faith is necessary (Sola Fidelis), and good works are simply a byproduct of faith.
Catholicism believes that the sole authority over the Church derives from the Bishop of Rome (aka the Pope), who is the successor of St. Peter.
Protestantism doesn't believe that. Most Protestant sects have a loose hierarchy of bishops (if any).
Catholicism identifies seven sacraments: Baptism, Confession, the Eucharist, Confirmation, Matrimony, Holy Orders, and Last Rites.
Protestantism only acknowledges Baptism and the Eucharist. Lutherans acknowledge Confession, while other sects say that you need only confess your sins to God for absolution.

Orthodoxy is basically identical to Catholicism in doctrine, except they dispute the sole authority of the Pope and the validity of the filioque clause in the Nicene Creed ("the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from the Father and the Son"). They believe that the Holy Spirit proceeds solely from God the Father.

This is just a rough overview, but it outlines the basic differences in doctrine.

Catholics are Christian and Protestants aren't

Orthodox believe in originall sin and that we inherent the effects, but not the guilt, of it

Nothing, both mental.

Literally the other way around

Protestants believe in the Bible while Catholics believe in an old Argie pedophile with a silly hat

Looking at it overall. Why the fuck don't they just chill and get along & work together to fight other religions and co-operate with practicers of Judaism. who they splintered from/are their God's chosen people?

To an extent, they have. The only real example of sectarian Catholic-Protestant violence in the last century would probably be the IRA, and the Catholic Church has made a sincere effort after Vatican II to start interfaith dialogue with other religions.

they basically are. back in middle school, we had our promotion ceremony in one. they had tv screens, cushioned seats, and a fucking massive parking lot. also zero signs or iconography.

youtube.com/watch?v=i_isUfbl1gw
ccel.org/ccel/alexander_a/canon.iii.ii.html
forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/theology/general-christian-topics/doctrine-questions/4703746-2-thessalonians-2-15
michaeljkruger.com/were-early-churches-ruled-by-elders-or-a-single-bishop/
bible.org/seriespage/8-grace-god-part-i-ephesians-15-12-21-10
justforcatholics.org/a84.htm
onefold.wordpress.com/category/sacred-tradition/
monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/visible.html
ccel.org/s/schaff/encyc/encyc09/htm/iv.v.lxxiv.html
ccel.org/ccel/schaff/hcc3.iii.x.xi.html

How do I become Catholic?
Asking for a friend.

literally just walk into your local church and ask the priest there, he'll walk you through the steps

Since this is a History board too, it's worthwhile to point out that there were Protestantism-like movements in Europe for a long time, and the Church just slapped them down. It was only when the Popes started to get so powerful that they were infringing on the power of Kings that things started to change. Finally Henry VIII and others said "fuck it" and broke with the Church in Rome. It's notable that the countries where Protestantism was the most successful were those where the grip of the Pope was weakest.
Of course when it actually happened, the form it took was a marriage of "Pope is not the boss of me" and other elements of Protestant doctrine, e.g. not praying to saints, reading the Bible in your own language. But there was a significant political dimension from the start.

Find me a single European Christian that doesn't hate those mega churches

Find a nearby parish and try to get in touch with their RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) program.

desu the popes and the church in general should have stayed the fuck away from politics as much as possible, the corrupt fucks

But the pope is infallible :^)

t. bope

>tfw someone says "Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox" are the "Big Three"

copts are based, but honestly they'll probably be gone in a century or two

During the 40s, only 2% of the population was Christian. Now that number sits at around 40%. Of this 40%, 3/4 of them are Protestant. Of those 3/4, 66% are Presbyterians. Roughly speaking, half of all the Christians in South Korean are Presbyterians. They're a huge force in South Korea.

So what happened? US happened in the 50s and throughout. The Korean war, the Vietnam War, the WWII, etc. This all pushed the Koreans closer to the US ideology. This means more connection to the US religious order, mainly a strong protestant line. While other christian groups were boosted by US presence, the protestants were the chief beneficiary.

and meanwhile the north has preserved their national spirit by rejecting all this insidious foreign madness

In all honesty, you don't know what you're talking about. Read a book about the Middle East for once. Much more endangered groups than the Copts have survived much bigger ordeals in the last century alone. But no problem, I can see you're underaged by your use of the word "based" and purposeful lack of punctuation because this site doesn't expect better anymore.

You do know what site you're on, right?

Uh, a site that I've witnessed fall straight downhill because I've been here much longer than you have? You realize the punctuation comment applies to the whole Internet and not just this site and that can be observed, don't you? Maybe you don't know what site you're on because it damn sure ain't "based" to a non-newfag and it never will be. In your dreams is this site even Veeky Forums right now, so no, I have no reason to believe user has any idea what he's talking about.

lol, I can only assume this is bait, but you got me to bite.
Veeky Forums was never good.

God, you reek of underaged.

>Veeky Forums was never good.

Of course you believe this site is full of shit and know that you are yourself. Put 2 and 2 together and that explains why you post here. "Veeky Forums was never good" is literally a meme made by people who found out about this site in 2012, saw the majority complaining about the flood of Facebook users, and started saying it just to piss people off like an elementary schooler would do - a decisive shift to the site's current 'culture' which is just that times 11. Just for your information.

>youtube.com/watch?v=i_isUfbl1gw
At 21 minutes this guy provides a protestant interpretation of authority and never actually gives the counter argument. What is it>

>claims to be an oldfag
>doesn't remember anything about early Veeky Forums
>talks like an edgy redditor
You have to go back.

The Protestants believe that Icons are bad and that Catholicism has too much Greco-Roman Pagan influences, also was started by some gay monk who was mad about Catholics charging for pieces of paper that promised heaven. would go more indepth but its 2:03 AM here.

Protestant churches are all cults, under the guise of Christianity

I took several classes on Colonial Latin America, and you are completely retarded, but what can you expect from a Catholic.

Spanish and Portuguese were brutal, and religious conversion was not a priority compared to resource grabbing and plantation work.

Yeah because cathedrals are known for their low key and modesty

Cathedrals are designed to glorify God, not a preacher.

American protestantism and protestantism anywhere else are wildly different and need to be differentiated.
American protestants are basically batshit cults like scientologists only accepted and with actual power.
Not sure how accurate it was, but I spoke with an ausfag once who said american protestants are missing a good 80% of the actual protestant teachings.

Good text post, bad image.

Have you ever been in an American Protestant church?

Because only a retard with no real experience would say that.

If there was a god, you wouldn’t be asking that question because there would only be one worldwide religion.

This, In nordic countries where the original Evangelical Lutheranism has the foothold fringesects do exist but they are very small and have no authority over the national church.

Atleast where i'm from Lutheranism works like catholicism minus the supremacy of the pope less sacraments (but confession is recognized) and a more laidback attitude to religion where the church advocates for personal search for belief and the salvation of christ. Not that you have to adhere to the church and pope to find salvation or go every sunday to church.

I hope this cleared up things for people who seem to be all buttmad about prots

>tfw Episcopalian master Protestian
Also, Protestantism came to prominence because some horndog king of England got tired of being told how to live by a bunch of virgins wearing funny hats.

From what I understand, they differ mostly - at least between Anglican Protestants and Catholics - on the lesser bylaws of Christianity, like priests' right to wed and Friday fish dinners. As far as the Church services go their basically carbon copies of each other, minus a creed and a prayer.

Why don't they go make a union with the Orthodox?

Bit by bit Australian Churches are moving from being quaint little Anglican houses of prayer into hip, American style, evangelical youth centres.

Why would anyone choose to be orthodox?

There is non, catholic ecclesiastical argumentation is that bad.

>American protestantism and protestantism anywhere else are wildly different and need to be differentiated.
That's bullshit and you know it. Protestantism is only really tame in northern european countries where it was traditionally shackled down by the crown, basically being little more than the king's ministry of religion (and even then plenty of insane cults spawned all the same, tho they were usually exterminated).
Outside of Europe protestantism is made of charismatic cults. The US charismatics are actually extremely tame compared to many south american and african churches.

Everybody knows the Big Three are Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece

Who cares? They all worship a shitskin kike on a stick

Because the Old Testament makes a clear statement on who exactly is God's chosen people, and it's not the Jews by blood who don't keep the word of their own God, it's the people who knew and believed in him, even the gentiles. Modern Jews carry the traditions of the same people Christ called son's of the devil. Not exactly fertile ground for an alliance.

To the point of building alters for idol worshipers. Dialogue is one thing, and that quite another. To think of all the saints who died refusing to do what a man claiming to be the vicar of Christ did, it chills me to the bones.

Because they're right. What other reason do you need?

It's a business

Stfu it's better nigga

>They just didn't run into them in force too much bevause they viewed the American West/Mexican North as inhospitable.
Also because small pox and western diseases they introduced depopulated the continent more effectively than guns.

If we're talking Christianity, what's the difference between Nestorianism, Miaphysitism, Monophysitism, and Monothelitism?

>Because they're right. What other reason do you need?
Please prove it. You have no idea how much I want to feel confident in a denomination.

>Bleach
hahahahahahahaha

>retard thinks Anglos invented protestantism

>Catholicism
>over a millennium of tradition and doctrine forming a bedrock of faith that drove the western world to cultural highs

>Protestantism
>"Hey everyone, Pastor Buddy's here to sing you a song about his best friend Jesus!"

Catholics are evil and worship satan, the women and men go to church every sunday dressed ro impress others simply to feel superior, then they ask for forgiveness after being taught the meditations of satan.
Then on monday they comit every sin imagineable and think "oh jeez better makre sure to beg satan for forgiveness next sunday" while they shoot up meth and suck the cock of a 6 year old boy.