Exercise does not hurt. What am I doing wrong? I lift until I no longer have the strength...

Exercise does not hurt. What am I doing wrong? I lift until I no longer have the strength, but there is never a burning sensation. Just a lack of energy. Is this normal?

try increasing either the weight or reps, that or you need to stop being a pussy and go despite the lack of energy.

The weight is such that I can only do 7 or 8 reps in one go, in this instance, bicep curls. I have tried smaller weights that I can go for around 20 or so. "Going despite the lack of energy" is nonsensical. It is not my will that is failing, it is my body.

Try taking a couple thousand milligrams of N-Acetyl-Tyrosine daily. You may be lacking in adrenaline and dopamine, and as a result are just giving out before you really get any work done.

I am not a dedicated Veeky Forums person. My lack of adrenaline and dopamine - and lacking I am - comes from, in my opinion, excessive masturbation. NoFap has been met only with failure. I am also medicated for depression.

Well, then, to put it simply and bluntly: you have to fix your shit. You're fucking up. Stop jacking off all the time. Skip the 'antidepressant' bullshit, you probably don't need any of that crap, you need to identify and fix the things that are making you feel depressed. Most antidepressants these days are SSRIs, and more serotonin in your system means less dopamine, which means you feel less satisfied overall with life, less motivated, less interested in just about anything, and physically you'll suffer. In many ways SSRIs are robbing you of your birthright as a male of the species. If you can't find a non-medication way to deal with your problems, then you're more or less wasting your time in the gym.

I do not go to the gym. I fashion my own equipment. Anxiety is also an issue. I am literally unable to function without SSRIs. What's your source for serotonin levels affecting dopamine production?

if you failed nofap and are on medication for depression it sounds like you should try to make some mental gains desu. other then that judging from what you said about the reps you might want to try warming up before your actual workout, get dynamic stretches in there and work up a light sweat. If all that doesn't work the only thing i can recommend is getting more sleep and food, good luck.

>depression
>anxiety

spend less time online, limit of 1 hour a day and go outside once everyday. if you do this for a month and you really don't cheat then i guarantee this will at least help

I appreciate your input.
I go outside every day; I have a large garden in which I grow my own vegetables in planters I constructed. Having effectively raised myself using the internet, this will be a shock to the system, but I am slowly weaning myself off. I appreciate your input.

Serotonin and dopamine are antagonistic to each other.

If you can't get off the antidepressants then there's nothing I can do for you. Having been on them for years at one point in my life and knowing damned well what they did to me and to other people I know, I do not believe in them whatsoever and do not advocate their use in all except the most extreme circumstances, and then only as a stop-gap measure to prevent someone from killing themselves. I believe in coginitive therapy, and in identifying your problems, facing them head-on, solving/defeating them, and benefitting greatly thereby. If you can't find it within you to deal with your life that way, then perhaps you're just not Veeky Forums material to start with and should just give up and try to live whatever sort of life you can manage to live being so thoroughly crippled by your emotional issues.

nah no point giving up, he should always try his best. even if he doesn't make it he will feel better striving for improvement then accepting defeat and rotting away.

Getting Veeky Forums is my long-term solution to depression. At the time of prescription, I was ready to die. I have tried reducing my intake of SSRIs, to no positive effect. I will give them up one day, but that is not today. For now, my respite is exercise. Fresh air, fresh food, self-sacrifice for long term gain. This is my temple.

But, see, he's not 'striving for improvement', not really, he's allowing faggot doctors to convince him that he needs 'medication't that is poisoning his life, he gives in to 'anxiety' instead of showing some grit and going to the gym anyway.. he's trying to half-ass his way through things, then whining about the results. Half-assing your way through life is no life at all, it's just existing, and in a pathetic sort of way. The OP needs to push through these 'problems' that the pharma-medical-industrial complex has convinced him he has, claim his birthright as a male of the human race, and get shit done to get where he wants to be in life. All these pills and complaining about 'social anxiety' are just roadblocks to succeding and you need to move them out of your way. We live in a world where guys get their goddamned legs blown off by an IED over in the sandbox, and they come back and get the rest of their bodies buffed out like bodybuilders and go on to achieve amazing things. Do you really think some basement dweller complaining about 'anxiety' and 'depression' has it worse than those guys? Seriously?

Leukemia? Have you had blood work done recently

Throw the shit down the toilet, don't get any more, and take your life by the horns and MAKE it what you want. All this 'depression' and 'anxiety' you feel is you literally fighting with yourself; knock that off, because no matter what you do, when you fight yourself, YOU LOSE. Ask me about this, I know goddamned well how that works. All the pills and shit are just like an alcoholic or drug addict using that shit to avoid dealing with their real problems. It's no good.

I have to say I agree with you but i also want to say this, i think OP will make it if he keeps trying so this is for you. This mindset of yours is great in tons of ways but it has its flaws just like everything else, I found myself becoming less compassionate and understanding. Maybe, even if we don't agree, we have to understand the weaknesses of others in order to keep improving. Don't get me wrong though, always keep this motivation and discipline to improve

Have you ever vomited from stepping outside? Have you ever been physically unable to move your limbs for hours at a time? Nobody has convinced me of anything, you imbecile, except perhaps you that this place is as carcinogenic as /b/ and /r9k/. You are fortunate enough to have been born without, and have not developed, neurochemical imbalances relating to biological processes that result in psychological diseases. You have no understanding of what it feels like for your brain to fail you; only your body. I went to college, I studied this shit, I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

At a guess I'd say you are lifting too light.

If you can do more than 7 reps the weight is too light.

Do 5 sets of 5. Then switch to an isolation exercise, go lighter than usual and do 7sets of 10 with 30seconds rest between sets.

You will feel the burn the next day

i just read my post and i cringed a little, very tired atm but hopefully you still understand what i meant

OP, the 'burn' is something you want to actively avoid in strength training and to some extent bodybuilding. its usually associated with muscular endurance type training ie cycling, fast running, rowing, boxing, high rep weights workouts etc. doing 1-8 reps isn;t going to produce anything other a feeling of fatigue and/or a pump.

coming from a former burn-chaser, i can tell you that the burn is absolutely not necessary. if you are new to weights but no stranger to exercise this may be a strange realisation but if you train for mass or strength you will probably not feel a burn very often. if you train for strength you never will. usually its a sign of too short a rest period or too many reps in a set.

This is normal. Your body is used to training, therefore it wont 'burn' doing it.

Train in a different rep range and you may 'feel the burn' if you want to hurt while exercising.

i don't think you are like those people, your condition is probably much better and you use the rare cases of severe mental problems as a crutch. Depression and anxiety rates have increased recently and it is because of conditioning more then anything else. not the guy you responded to btw

I often find myself with more energy after a fap. Is this normal or just a mental thing?

I am acutely aware of people who convince themselves that they have mental diseases as an excuse to work less and relax more. They disgust me. I am using my own experiences as examples. I once tried to walk to the shop, before I was medicated, and I immediately sweated buckets, my vision blurred and I puked in a bush outside my house. That is anxiety.

this 1000x.

almost all depression diagnoses are bullshit. does your life suck? chance is that you're not depressed, you life just sucks. oh no i work form 9-7 every day and my wife fucks the milkman, i am depressed!! no you just have a shit life.

same goes for "social anxiety disorder" and suchlike medical moneymakers. the reason depression is on the rise is because the definition is fast becoming another word for being down.

Yeah, no.